Help with front axle id possibly from gpw?

Wuchoo tocnbowt

Bigger Hammer
Oct 22, 2017
Fortuna California
First Name
Curt
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1962
Hey everyone, i drive a '62 wagon and in my small town this means I end up being offered any/all jeep parts...

I've had this front axle awhile knowing it isn't for a wagon/truck. Started tearing it down to deal with it and get it out of my garage when I started noting things that may point to it being from a GPW.

If anyone can provide any helpful info i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Besides the markings pictured below, the axle also had sheet metal brake line guards and a large flathead bolt in place of a 9/16". Not sure what else i should look for.

20180420_181705.jpg

20180420_181912.jpg

Thanks

You didn't show anything that is unique to the MB GPW. If it has a post on the long side axle tube for the bellcrank and a bolt on steering bracket for the drag link then it is a MB GPW. If it does not have those features then it is probably a CJ2A or 3A. A 4.88 gear ratio is almost always military, 2A and 3A will be 5.38.
diggerG

Curt I made a mistake on describing the MB GPW front axle, The bolt on steering knuckle brackets are for the tie rod ends, not the drag link. One on each side.
sorry
diggerG

Back