Feb 10, 2017
California USA
First Name
Joe
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1953
I just ordered a new Saturn OD from Advance Adapters. I've looked at the installation video and it looks like the hardest part is installing the snap ring. My initial thought was to install the OD with the trans and transfer case in the truck but I've started to hear an intermittent throw out bearing noise (squealing when depressing the clutch) so I am now planning to do the clutch as well' probably with a new clutch kit (pressure plate, disc, TOB, and pilot bushing) from K-W.
First question: has anyone used the kit from Kaiser-Willys and if so what did you think of the quality?
Secondly: Would it be a lot easier to install the OD with the trans\ transfer case out of the truck?

I have had a lot of Willys and installed several Warn OD's all done in place., I don't know how your get that 125-150lbs of torque on the shaft is the transfer case was out? I guess you could use a power torque gun but it needs to be correctly torqued. In the truck I have to lock up the engine from turning to be able to get that much torque. Its been 12 years since I did one and I know I did all of those snap rings from the Warn co. in place.

I've installed a couple of the warn od's. They are really quite easy to install. I've done them on the bench and while tc is still in vehicle.

I always thought the hardest part of the installation was cutting the hole in the floor and getting the shifter and linkage right! Don't ,let the snap ring/keeper scars you. Once you see the pieces it will become much clearer. Installation time of the unit should be less than an hour.

I bought their kit for the 161 engine, not sure if it's US made but seemed to be fine. Walcks sometimes has better prices for the same parts.

For me the snap ring was a PIA under the vehicle. Wish I had done it on the bench........

For me the snap ring was a PIA under the vehicle. Wish I had done it on the bench........
I was thinking that the problems would be: keeping that weird snap ring compressed, getting it in straight, and finally checking to see that it is in fact seated in the groove. All of those look like they'd be easier to deal with on the bench; Jim does raise a valid point regarding the need to torque the nut to 120 ft. pounds but with an old clutch disc at hand we could put it on the input shaft and clamp the disc to long piece of angle iron or even a 2x4 to stop it from moving. As the OD delivery date is still 4 weeks off I have time to ponder this.

The snap ring really isn't hard. long handle needle nose pliers make it easier to see and work in there. I found putting the vehicle up on Jack stands gave me a bit more room to work underneath as well.

There is no problem with locking up the trans to tighten the bolt. If you are doing it with no shifter on the trans, then you just put the transmission in 2 gears at the same time. like for instance 1st and 3rd. It will not spin and no, nothing would get damaged. Same way if you need to tighten up the nut on the trans for the drive gear if no overdrive. (the one with no cotter pin).
If you have the shifter on, then just put a big wrench on the front pulley and put the trans in gear.
diggerG

I like the NAPA premium clutch kit. It is made in USE by LUK.
Goog luck.
I really want to buy a top quality clutch and was going to follow your recommendation and check out the NAPA premium but can't find it on their website. Do you perhaps have a part number??

Maybe it would be a good idea to go to a NAPA store and let them earn a little money for their family. Buy local, buy often, support YOUR community.

Maybe it would be a good idea to go to a NAPA store and let them earn a little money for their family. Buy local, buy often, support YOUR community.

I always intended to order from the local store in spite of the highest sales tax in the country; unfortunately the counter person I talked to at the local store was clueless and after a series of nonsensical questions couldn't identify the part and referred me to the website. The website doesn't show any drive line parts for my truck. I was hoping a member here might have the P/N.

Well that does not bode well for NAPA. If the local guys can't get the job done the website is the only place you have left. I wonder if you can get the information from call some of the bigs here direct and get an answer to our question. If they don't know who would?

Edit: After some thought I bet Advanced adaptors would know exactly what you are looking for.

Last edited:
Well that does not bode well for NAPA. If the local guys can't get the job done the website is the only place you have left. I wonder if you can get the information from call some of the bigs here direct and get an answer to our question. If they don't know who would?

Edit: After some thought I bet Advanced adaptors would know exactly what you are looking for.
So far I have called the closest NAPA Location their reply; check the website. Looked at the website and saw nothing but gaskets in driveline parts then emailed via the website and received a robo reply to "call your local NAPA store". Called the second closest store and the guy also got the got nothing but at least made an extra phone call which also came up empty. Pretty much I'm out of luck with NAPA although I think they probably have the part since clutches are pretty generic and it likely fits many other vehicles.
I'll take your advice and call Advanced since they were really helpful when I ordered the OD. The K-W set might be my only choice but I wanted to see if there were better options out there. There are several high performance clutch suppliers around here and I have calls into a couple though a 105 HP flathead six hardly qualifies as high performance.

If you know where a truck clutch facility is (where they still MAKE clutches) they can take care of you. Just bring it in, or ship your old one to them to rebuild. We used to have the best clutch shop in the world here, Boston Clutch,,but they went out of business a few years ago. Somebody on this forum was just talking about a clutch shop a couple of weeks ago.
Whatever you do, don't buy a clutch made in China.
Your 226 clutch should be easy to find, it's just a GM coarse spline and whatever the dia. is. Fits lots of stuff.
And you can test your pressure plate to see if it is good, most of them are.
I actually sold a couple of used good Jeep clutch plates because mechanics want nothing to do with new Chinese ones.
A serious speed shop will know where the clutch shops are also. I'm going to my NAPA store today, I'll ask them about that if I can remember. My NAPA guys are great, especialay the old guys.
diggerG

DOUBLE CHECK THESE NUMBERS BEFORE ORDERING!

Should be the 10" clutch kit used for the 226...

BORG W...90437
LuK01-029
NAPA1101029
InwoodCK01-029
SACHSK1874-03
CARQUESTW01-029
VALEO52641412

Order at your own risk, I only spent about 3 minutes looking it up.

I take payment in the form of parts you have sitting around... ;-)

Went and found the 8.5 inch for anyone else if they're interested...

LuK01-028
AMS01-510
PerfectionMU1676-1B
CARQUESTW01-510
SACHSK5317-02
CENTRIC200.58013
BORG W...90438

Last edited:
I talked to my NAPA guys, and they told me that LUK makes NAPA clutches. He did not specify ALL or some.
diggerG

FYI, Trying to find the 8 1/2" for a CJ has not been fruitful. I too was looking for the LUK as they have good reputation, but the 01-028 is not available any more. I even called them direct and told no longer done.

Back