Sep 21, 2009
Vista, CA 92083
First Name
Mike
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1950
I am about to start looking into getting by front and rear Aero bumpers straightened and re-chromed. As a cheaper alternative I thought I'd also look into acceptable substitute bumpers that could be purchased as new reproductions. I'm not expecting an exact match, but does anyone know of some other makes that might fit the bill? Or better yet that you have actually put on your Aero.

There was a guy that was talking about using certain year Camaro bumpers on the Aero he is hotrodding, but I can't find my notes on it.

I've looked at various bumpers that seem to have the right shape, but it's hard to find dimensions to get a feel for fitment.

I was the one using a Camaro Bumper. Early Corvair bumpers also seemed to be a good candidate. I picked up a set of mid 60's Corvair bumper because the shapes looked like they would sit well but too narrow. Same problem with most other bumpers. What seems like a perfect candidate is the 48-54 Chevy Pickup bumpers. They are cheap as new re-pops too. But I haven't tried mounting one yet. My front end is torn apart right now so I've postponed finishing my front bumper mods. I'll keep you posted on anything new I find in the off the shelf word that fits.

Thanks. I'll take a look at the pick up bumpers. I'm always looking for suitable replacements (not just bumpers). I guess I should haul my parts to the local chrome shop and see what it will actually cost to get them straightened and re-chromed. I really have no idea.

I'm still looking for suitable replacement bumpers. My front bumper is being re-chromed, but the shop doesn't have much hope for the rear (heavily pitted and thin metal). Has anyone been able to mock up a possible substitute?

I'm still looking for suitable replacement bumpers. My front bumper is being re-chromed, but the shop doesn't have much hope for the rear (heavily pitted and thin metal). Has anyone been able to mock up a possible substitute?

After abandoning one deeply pitted set & acquiring more a solid but bent set for re-chroming ($1600), I discovered one leaning up in corner of my shop, barely visible behind other parts. I remember keeping a decent one off an Aero I stripped in the 90's, don't know if it's a front or rear, or if you're interested in paying the freight from IL to you.

Thanks for that option. I'll be checking in with my chrome guy this week & I'll have a better idea of what he can or can't do with the bumpers I have.
I'll get back to you.

Back