Mar 13, 2018
TX
First Name
Mark
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1954
I did some research and wanted to go cheap on frame prep ... i was not disappointed

here is some video i made at the beginning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qE14QI9EgY

took about 3.5 hours to do the whole thing by my self.

por 15 metal prep to neutralize the surface rust and por 15 on frame plus the top coat for the areas of the frame that will see the sun light.

Be really careful using a sand blaster on body panels, if you ever do. They can very easily warp the panels. DAMHIK

Noted... is this due to thickness of the sheet metal?

The best way to sand blast? .......... Go out to Yuma and run the sand dunes on a windy day, it will take some time but the job will get done :cool:....

More so the pressure of the sand blaster. If you can use a low enough pressure, then you can sometimes get by. Of course, that makes it hard to remove the paint and rust.

I dropped off some panels with a guy I town and he used a commercial sand blaster! Oops....................The panels were straight when I dropped them off, but I was being lazy about removing the 6 layers of paint. Learned my lesson. I had to body work the entire panels.

Media blast is best for sheet metal panels like Glass beads. It doesn't generate heat when used. That's what I use in my small bench top blaster. It does a good job removing paint and light rust. I once took an air cleaner lid to my local blaster and he hit it with his commercial sand blaster....made a potato chip shape out of it. Trashed it and had to hunt for another. As others have said "lesson learned".

well the deal with using the pressure washer is because its being combined with water it wont be effected by heat... not sure tho... i will do plenty of research before moving to the cab of my truck

Ya from what i am reading no heat is actually being created by traditional sand blasting due to the air cooling it is just the micro pinning by larger abrasives at high pressure is actually stretching the metal... but i found this video on youtube and it doesnt appear like he is warping the panels but maybe someone with a better eye for this stuff can validate that assumption

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8vyeMwRm0o

I used a pressure pot from HF same as northern tools did my hood, doors, fenders took my time no issues at all.

I took my frame to a local monument company. Just call around I bet there is one close to you who does car bodies when they aren't making monuments.

Never thought of that I'll search around

I had a friend take a Camero in for blasting and the blaster called him two weeks later and said ”your car is done, come picket it up, but, bring a bucket”. It was so rusted they could not save it. I used the same blaster for my wagon with the same warning and it turned out great.

Research soda blasting. You use baking soda (get a course grade specifically designed for blasting). No panel warpage. Easy clean up. You can also try kesurite (brand named Maxx Strip). It's a little more aggressive than soda blasting, but less than glass beads. All of which are less aggressive than sand. I use Kesurite to remove calcium lines from pool tiles all the time. Baking Soda also leaves a slight coating that will protect the bare metal from rust. It needs to be cleaned off before painting though. Lots of info on the internet.

Bill

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I have soda blasted 3 cars including the wagon. The soda also changes the ph of the meatal for a while which gives you a little extra time before flash rusting starts. In every case, the bodys needed epoxy sealer before body or paint work started.

Then... sandblast the frame.

Attachments

• IMG_20140701_110653.jpg
    IMG_20140701_110653.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20140701_110714.jpg
    IMG_20140701_110714.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 27
Back