Not mine. Odd looking Delivery.

The Willys America Restoration book mentions that the dealers could get kits to add windows to the delivery model. I wonder if that is one of thse kits.

I imagine those kits had windows of a correct size, meaning bigger that this one.

Correct. Those kits were called Parkway Conversions and done at the factory or dealer. Adding the side windows to a Delivery meant that such rigs no longer qualified as a commercial vehicle and could hence drive on the streets that banned commercial vehicles.

scramboleer said:
that such rigs no longer qualified as a commercial vehicle and could hence drive on the streets that banned commercial vehicles.

I have wondered just HOW do you enforce those regs? No milk delivery trucks? Trash trucks? flower deliveries? Food trucks? Home repair people all drive trucks! Oil deliveries? Tow trucks? Moving vans?

I get through trucking, and parking trucks overnight, but really!

This was the start of zoning regulations, a pox on all auto restorers and mechanics.
diggerG

Last edited by a moderator:
The good news for the potential purchaser is that it looks like the side windows installed in this delivery are small enough that you could pull them out, cut a full set of traveler-sized window openings in, and end up with a sought-after model.

(The subject Truck: )
00Z0Z_ktbXk9qnWgf_1200x900.jpg

(Dan/scramboleer's bitchin' ride: )
WillysTraveller2013-05-20046_zps6d9d4e81.jpg

The good news for the potential purchaser is that it looks like the side windows installed in this delivery are small enough that you could pull them out, cut a full set of traveler-sized window openings in, and end up with a sought-after model.

(The subject Truck: )
View attachment 44977

(Dan/scramboleer's bitchin' ride: )
View attachment 44978

Dan's truck IS a bitchin' ride......

Whoops,
I should have called the result of cutting the windows in delivery a "Parkway" conversion. (Travelers are a whole 'nuther level of bitchin'!)

Dan, wasn't there service bulletin-like diagrams with dimensions or stencils for the Parkway window openings kicking around here at some point?

Last edited:
scramboleer said:
Correct. Those kits were called Parkway Conversions and done at the factory or dealer. Adding the side windows to a Delivery meant that such rigs no longer qualified as a commercial vehicle and could hence drive on the streets that banned commercial vehicles

I wonder how California gets away with registering all pickups as "Commercial Vehicles?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Streets that banned commercial vehicles were generally called, Parkways, not local streets. The purpose was to provide safer travel for automobiles. Early cars were not able to keep up with trucks, so this was a way to placate the citizenry. in NY they built the parkways with bridges that had only 8 foot clearance, thusly enforcing NO TRUCKS, ever...
\

I have wondered just HOW do you enforce those regs? No milk delivery trucks? Trash trucks? flower deliveries? Food trucks? Home repair people all drive trucks! Oil deliveries? Tow trucks? Moving vans?

I get through trucking, and parking trucks overnight, but really!

This was the start of zoning regulations, a pox on all auto restorers and mechanics.
diggerG

Streets that banned commercial vehicles were generally called, Parkways, not local streets. The purpose was to provide safer travel for automobiles. Early cars were not able to keep up with trucks, so this was a way to placate the citizenry. in NY they built the parkways with bridges that had only 8 foot clearance, thusly enforcing NO TRUCKS, ever...
\

Ah the name Parkway is starting to become clearer.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Back