First Name
Mickey
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
  2. CJ
Willys Year:
  1. 1955
  2. 1958
Today I was cleaning 60+ years of crap off the oil bath today so I could drop it off at the powder coaters. The handle that tightens the base onto the carb looks bubba to me. It works but I'd like to get it back to original. It's the L226 with the 2 bbl, but I'm sure it the same for the single bbl. So I'm looking for pics of the underside so I can figure it out and acquire missing pieces.

As always, all is appreciated.

Do you just want a picture of what holds it onto the carb?

If possible the underside of the bath too. Mine had a ring with what looked like part of a square nut retainer. I'm not sure if that ring was removable or not so I didn't want to force it until I see what "normal" is.

Yes, the ring is actually part of the fastening device, which is the ring, a square nut, and a long machine screw with a handle bent on the end, in the shape of a "D", for you to tighten, closing the ring and fastening the air cleaner to the carburetor mouth.

9d7e1f2670d556d6c7f4f4e39805bc1e.jpg
. I can pull the air cleaner for a better view later today. 60 pickup with single carb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If John doesn't get a picture later today, I will be able to get one tomorrow. I just have to dig out the assembly from my pile o' parts.

I already sent mine to the coater but the 'handle was just a 6-8 bolt with several square nuts on it. The end was just bent about 90 degrees but no real shape to it. That's what I'm trying to determine. My 58 CJ has some sort of triangle vent on the end. So I'm looking to see the handle itself. Does to square nut lock into the clamp or would come off if unscrewed? Does the clamp come off the base itself or is it crimped on. Mine kind of looks crimped on.

Here is a drawing of the CJ. See how on part 6, it is longer and has a shaped end to manuall twist. Is it something like that?
image.jpg

Last edited:
I already sent mine to the coater but the 'handle was just a 6-8 bolt with several square nuts on it. The end was just bent about 90 degrees but no real shape to it. That's what I'm trying to determine. My 58 CJ has some sort of triangle vent on the end. So I'm looking to see the handle itself. Does to square nut lock into the clamp or would come off if unscrewed? Does the clamp come off the base itself or is it crimped on. Mine kind of looks crimped on.

Here is a drawing of the CJ. See how on part 6, it is longer and has a shaped end to manuall twist. Is it something like that?
View attachment 44814
Exactly like in the photo, unless it's been converted to having a hole in the top for a wing nut

Exactly like in the photo, unless it's been converted to having a hole in the top for a wing nut

This is the CJ and was just used as an example. I'm trying to determine for the L226 wagon version. The pics above show a small screw which would require a screw driver and blind feeling to loosen it for removal. And maybe that's why the PO did a bubba version so he could just use his hand to get it off since it needs to be remover frequently for changing the oil bath. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a drawing like the above for the L226 wagon version of the oil bath.

Hope this will help recently bought this one for my WCD 2bbl, my 1bbl looks exactly like Frank's.
This was advertised as a 2 5/8 Willys takeoff oil bath but having received it I think it is probably a Ford or Dodge from the same era.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    79 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
This is the CJ and was just used as an example. I'm trying to determine for the L226 wagon version. The pics above show a small screw which would require a screw driver and blind feeling to loosen it for removal. And maybe that's why the PO did a bubba version so he could just use his hand to get it off since it needs to be remover frequently for changing the oil bath. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a drawing like the above for the L226 wagon version of the oil bath.
You are correct, I've not thought about it but I will check the base of the bath at work. It has a wing but but I didn't think of looking for the clamp. I put a bath on a 56 belair and it had the handle

Mickey, having received it I think the one I have pictured above while being advertised as a Willys 2 5/8" is more likely actually off a 54/55 Ford or Dodge Truck 2bbl setup, the longer D shaped bolt concept seems to work though.

Last edited:
This is what's on the willys at work. It has a Rochester carb. Boss says the part on top is early crank case vent, no evidence of a clamp ring.
ce7a221c5f03ee03c5a17cf91a7bb3a4.jpg
acb0d5ebd6437294cf3ab8de909d4bae.jpg

When you get yours back from powder coating can you send me some pics of it I am trying to track down a genuine 2bbl Willys version from the era.

I found this today thinking it must be close to the same period as it looks identical to the 1bbl just slightly larger be interested if yours is similar.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (18).jpg
    s-l1600 (18).jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 19
  • s-l1600 (5).jpg
    s-l1600 (5).jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 17
  • s-l1600 (6).jpg
    s-l1600 (6).jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 18
  • s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 19
  • s-l1600 (3).jpg
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Here are some pictures of one of the ones I have, sorry about the long delay. Both are for one barrel and are identical underneath like this.

IMG_1124.jpg

IMG_1125.jpg

When you get yours back from powder coating can you send me some pics of it I am trying to track down a genuine 2bbl Willys version from the era.

I found this today thinking it must be close to the same period as it looks identical to the 1bbl just slightly larger be interested if yours is similar.

Supposed to get it back by Wednesday so I'll post some pics. However, I did the cleaning 60 years worth of crap off of it and I can tell you your pics look like it. I'm just missing the correct tightening bolt. I can tell exactly from you pic but on mine, which I know (99.999%) is original there is a flat wide area where the label goes. You'll see in the pic I post.

Back