Road Trip with a 64 Year Old Engine

Thanks Larry! I definitely don’t mind a video game or two, but wrenching is where my heart lies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bryson,

Glad your trip went well. Follow you on Instagram (Willysutilitywagon)

I have showed your mud hole attack video to several of my long time buddys. We all laughed. We are all 55 plus years old and still do the same silly stuff.

Enjoy the truck.

What are your plans for the new Gladiator?

Yes guys, the kid got a Rhino grill Gladiator.

Duane

Duane

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I got my 66 Gladiator to tow my prized 54 Willys around to shows of course!

Plan is to breathe life into it again and turn it into my daily driver. Once the engine quits, I plan on doing a full diesel conversion and driving it for the rest of my life.
cd3a3039d61390b04968b923e35e1c98.jpg

I am documenting my Gladiator build on the Full Size Jeep Network Page. On there my username is The Rebel.

Howdy Folks!

For my 20th Birthday I'm taking my old gal on a 100 mile road trip. She's a 54 Truck that claims to boast only 16,xxx on the original engine and trans (no rebuilds on either). The road trips starts in Frazier Park CA and (hopefully) ends in Tehachapi CA. A few months ago I ran a compression test and got 105-115 on cylinders 1-5, and cylinder 6 is lagging behind at 75. I'll do another before and after to see if there are any changes. Troughout the whole of March, I've been putting her through the wringer with testing her road worthiness. Last week I wanted to test her hill climb and see how well she handles altitude changes. I drove her up Mount Pinos which in total was a 5,000 elevation gain from my starting point. She happily chugged along at 35-40 in second high (thank God for overdrive) while maintaining normal operating temps and pressures! I am confident that she will make it to the half way point of Arvin, but after Arvin are quite a few hill climbs. Nothing at the elevation of Mount Pinos though.

I have 2 fire extinguishers, some hand tools, insurance, a trailer, a good friend, and loads of good music ready to go.

I have an owner's manual, but is there any maintenance you'd folks reccomend for my big trip? Leaving the morning of April 6.

Any and all advice welcomed! Thanks Guys!

Here's some pics from the Pinos trip.
View attachment 44667View attachment 44668View attachment 44669View attachment 44670View attachment 44671

That’s awesome. I love the patina and that old engine. That second picture could be an entry in our calendar contest!

I'm thinking at least a half pint of Lucas new engine additive would be of value in that old engine... I have had good luck getting
old well used engines with lots of sitting around time, back up in good condition by using good additive oil and making sure
the cooling system worked as designed... Best of luck on your adventure..

Back