Mar 25, 2018
Boise, ID
First Name
Mark
Willys Model
  1. Jeepster
Willys Year:
  1. 1950
Have a 1950 Jeepster, 161 ci 6 cylinder. My wife drove in high school, graduated in 1974. Her dad parked it out in back 40 for 40 years. I've pretty much restored it completely. when I drove it the first time last summer,speedometer didn't work. Pulled the cable...it was broken. I bought a new cable, installed it, broken again. Put the broken tip in and speedo was frozen. Just pulled it out and need to get it to spin. Ideas? 3 in 1 oil soak? Keep trying to break it loose? Help! THANKS

I went through this last week.

First make sure the speedo is frozen (mine was). Use one of the broken ends, without the cable sleeve, to spin the input of the speedo. To get mine working, I sprayed solvent, worked it a bit and let it sit. After several hours, it loosened up.

Second, make sure the replacement cable end is not too long! (mine was!) This is the square bit at the end, essentially inside the cable. It bottomed-out in the speedo, and the pressure of the retaining nut on the cable locked it solid. I installed it six times before i figured this out. I used wire cutters to cut about 1/8" off the speedo end and it was fine.

BTW, new cable was $12 on Amazon.

I hope this helps!

Matt B

Back