Sep 11, 2016
Northeast in the Republic of Texas
First Name
bekasu
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1963
I've been missing from the forum because my dad died last year and its just taken me some time to get
through the sadness. I just turned in the paperwork to the tax accountant for his last year of taxes as
well as starting up the trust for us kids. Sigh.

My first Willys Pickup is still waiting for me to get the fuel system finished; however, my free storage has
ended for the second Willys Pickup. So my project list has grown again.

I did the round-trip (350 total miles) to trailer the 2nd (green) pickup to my place. This time I was smart enough
to take extra rims (from my first trip) with good-enough tires so I could more easily load it.

Managed to get 3 of the 4 tires swapped.

I need help.

The last tire (driver side rear) is being stubborn. All the studs are marked with 'L' so I know is should be reverse
threaded - just like the front tire on that side. Lefty-tighty, righty-loosey.

I PB Blasted everything before hand and waited 20 minutes then did it again. I could break the other lugs loose on
all the tires. But these last lugs are rusted and refuse to budge.

I've used a hammer to knock them from the side (all around). Used Screw Loose, PB Blaster, and one other can-o-fluid
I can't remember the brand name of and they do not want to loosen. I've sprayed them every day for a week now.

What is my next move?

Is is possible the threads are marked 'L' but not really reverse threaded? I've only been using a star wrench and my
super fantastic although somewhat underpowered girl muscles. (lordy that sounded funnier in my head than it looks
typed). I just don't want to ruin the studs.

Use a torch to heat the nuts. That should cause the nuts to expand, loosening their grip on the studs.

Sometimes it takes several day's applications of can-o-fluids to work. I would try an impact. Set it for left for just a couple of raps and then switch to right and keep on it. Should/maybe break them loose.

If you use a jack stand with the star wrench you can use all of your weight and stand on it. Put one end of the wrench on the lug nut and the other end on the jack stand, same height and jump on it!

Dave

If you don't have a torch, put a socket on the nut. Hit it hard with a big hammer dead on, it will break the bond to the wheel. "L" means L

Or try a long cheater bar/pipe. It's a leverage thing. Works for me all the time, but I have occasionally split a socket. Now I use impact sockets when I pull out my 5 foot cheater pipe.

If you use a jack stand with the star wrench you can use all of your weight and stand on it. Put one end of the wrench on the lug nut and the other end on the jack stand, same height and jump on it!

Dave

Jump and miss or wrench pull off just one time and you rethink this approach. Ask me how I know......

I still think more not juice for a day and then toggling the impact is your best/safest approach. Less chance of breaking off the stud as well.

Jump and miss or wrench pull off just one time and you rethink this approach. Ask me how I know......

Mickey is right on. The only way to use a 4 way is twist up and down with both arms. A big guy can snap nuts off just about always as long as the nut holds the wrench. There is also a difference between a 4 way and a big heavy duty 4 way. I would not try this with a 12 point socket, only a 6. 56STK is also correct. If it says L then it is. If you know someone with an electric impact then that eliminates the need for an air compressor and moving heavy torches around. When we say torches we do not mean a little propane torch.
Did you get the Jeep home at least?
Good Luck!!!
diggerG

Last edited:
Here is yet another method for frozen lug nuts....Heat the nut with a butane torch...This will take a minute or more on each nut.
Drip candle wax on any exposed threads.. Heat the nut some more for a minute... Now remove the nut...I know it sound crazy.
I worked as a mechanic for 25 years and never used this method or needed to.... In my old age I heard about it and then
needed to try it.....What a surprise when it worked...

What I used to do on large trucks and equipment. 1st heat the nut to straw color with a cutting torch.. Let it cool down..Use
an impact wrench and off it came Or..........Carefully cut the nut off the torch... Not to be tried unless you're very good and
experienced with the torch.

Yes! I too was going to say HEAT, which we used a lot of on tractor lugs. Then I heard about the candle wax technique here on the forum (and thought; "Oh, B.S."). But when I tried it, it was like magic! Give it a go.
Sorry to hear about your Dad. That's a really big change. I'm glad you're giving it time. And have lots of Willys projects to focus your mind on.

It took about and hour late this afternoon, but the lugnuts are off and the truck is off the trailer.

My solution:

Younger brother with better muscles + 7 foot drill stem leftover fence post = creeeeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkk and the nut would loosen
Do that several times and he was able to get everything loosened enough to swap the dead tire for a tire that held air long enough to get it off the trailer.

We had to use the tractor and two big chains to slowly yank it off the trailer.

I'll resize the pictures and start a new build thread.

My special thanks to each of you for your advice. I was kinda bummed I didn't get to fire up the torch; but having my 6'1" little brother help makes a much better memory.

It took about and hour late this afternoon, but the lugnuts are off and the truck is off the trailer.

My solution:

Younger brother with better muscles + 7 foot drill stem leftover fence post = creeeeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkk and the nut would loosen
Do that several times and he was able to get everything loosened enough to swap the dead tire for a tire that held air long enough to get it off the trailer.

We had to use the tractor and two big chains to slowly yank it off the trailer.

I'll resize the pictures and start a new build thread.

My special thanks to each of you for your advice. I was kinda bummed I didn't get to fire up the torch; but having my 6'1" little brother help makes a much better memory.

Sheesh! with that kinda leverage I'm surprised the lug nuts didn't just shear off...

I'd call that a WIN!

I was looking forward to hearing of the 'waxing of the nuts' thing worked. Some guys swear by it, but I'm a bit leery :p Kelly Clarkson!!!

Last edited:
Waxing of the Nuts.....requires the use of both hands ....Left hand ..Wax on,......Right hand ....Wax off..!!

Larry

Back