Wyoming
First Name
Owen
Willys Model
  1. CJ
Willys Year:
  1. 1959
Hello Everyone,

I have just rebuilt the starter in my '59 CJ5 and it is stuck engaged on the flywheel, the starter starts the engine just fine but just doesn't disengage when the engine starts. I have tested it on the bench and it works fine. Could I be missing any shims of some sort?

Thanks!

Owen There should not be shims. Is it the same starter you took out? Same flywheel? New Bendix drive? or same old one?
diggerG

Not sure what kind your Jeep starter would have for the gear drive, if it's a Bendix is that new? I'd pull it out and check to see if thats working properly.

Could also possibly be a bad solinoid. Is the motor spinning over the starter or is the starter still running with voltage?

It is the same starter I took out with the same flywheel but it does have a new bendix as the old one was not working properly and had some teeth missing, the starter motor is not running the engine is spinning it. I have been messing with it for a while and as soon as the engine starts I can bump the starter again and it disengages and it sounds fine. I took the starter out and tested it out of the jeep and it works just fine.

Thanks!

Take it back to the rebuilder. Did you check the flywheel teeth? You said the bendix drive was missing teeth? What's that all about?
diggerG

Back