Jun 5, 2014
oshawa
First Name
mike
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1957
I have heard you can modify your air cleaner to take a paper element and still retain the original look. Wondering how one goes about this and what element do i buy for it. If anyone has instructions and an air filter part number i would like to hear from you.

I did the conversion. I wish I would have left a little more of the top part of the filter assembly, so the paper element doesn't show.
IMG_3847.jpg

I'm still curious as to why you would do this.

#1 A pain to clean
#2 Messy, easy to spill, oil wicks it's way to the outside of the filter and elsewhere.

In dirty dusty environments oil bath filters can hold a lot more contaminants. That an originality are reasons to retain I suppose. Not for me though.

As mentioned not near as messy . Change out when dirty, filters are inexpensive. I have also been told the paper filter will let less dust through than oil bath style.

I took the top part and put a threaded bolt through it. I then put it in a drill and I put the drill in a vice. I ran the drill while bracing a fine hacksaw blade on the area I wanted to cut. It was a makeshift lathe setup. After I got a good score in the metal I used a dremel tool to finish it off. It took a while, but it worked.

Attachments

• 20150131_100201.jpg
    20150131_100201.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 20150131_100006.jpg
    20150131_100006.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 76
I'm still curious as to why you would do this.

I installed the Webber carb and the oil bath filter would not fit. I wanted the origional look of the oil bath though. I actually had to do some other modifications to the base of the housing to adapt it to the Webber carb. If you look under my hood it still looks original. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Hi Mike,

Good question. Here are a few threads here, here, and here.
Dan, tried the links you posted but I keep getting a log-in request or tossed off. Any chance I could get you to re-post those?
Thanks!
(no rush as the oil filter canister and the oil bath canister are both heading to the sandblaster. I can barely tell which one is which with all the crud!)

Dan, tried the links you posted but I keep getting a log-in request or tossed off. Any chance I could get you to re-post those?
Thanks!
(no rush as the oil filter canister and the oil bath canister are both heading to the sandblaster. I can barely tell which one is which with all the crud!)
http://www.oldwillysforum.com/forum...-oil-bath-for-the-carburetor-every-day.10019/
http://www.oldwillysforum.com/forum/index.php?threads/another-air-bath-conversion.6946/

Back