Feb 4, 2018
Sun valley, Ca.
First Name
Jeffrey
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1951
I have a 1951 wagon 2 wheel drive with the planar suspension. I am rebuilding the front end and have been able to find most all of the parts, however the steering tube with the worm gear at the bottom does not seem to be available.

I have spoken with the guys at Kaiser Willys and they mentioned that some of these are made new for the smaller CJ models but the ones for the wagons are not, there is just not enough demand. I noticed that the images on line of the parts made for the CJ's wind in the opposite direction of mine. this I think is due to the position of the pitman. I had considered buying one of those and cutting the gear off and reworking my existing one.

Some guys suggested looking for a good used one, I am not sure if that will be any better than my current situation.......in fact mine might just be considered a good used one.

does anyone have any thoughts or contacts or ideas on this or maybe you have the same problem I have. I would love to find somebody that has a new one sitting in a corner somewhere.

Thanks,
Dean

What condition is the worm gear in? Is the steering sloppy? Typically the nubs on the sector shaft wear and that is where the slop comes from.

The sector shaft may be available new or the old one can usually be repaired.

If you have it apart, pics would help.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have a new sector shaft, the worm gear is worn a pitted, I do have it apart and I can post some photos tomorrow. It may not be as horrible as I think but since I am rebuilding the steering gear box and the entire front end I wanted to replace the worm gear as well, I didn't realize it would this hard to get this part.

I wondered if it would be possible to machine the surface of the gear and replace the nubs on the sector shaft with larger ones to make up the difference? I think this would require a highly specialized machinist and some special equipment as well

I think that if you just replace the sector shaft and adjust it properly on the high spot of the gear with the wheels straight forward, you will be fine. Make sure your knuckle bearings and the rod ends are in good shape as well.

Last edited:
I just completed a partial rebuild of my 59 truck steering box. I say partial because, like you, I was unable to find a new worm gear. Mine had some wear also but my upper and lower bearings were good. So with a new rebuild kit from KW I installed the new bushings and sector shaft and seal. when I installed the bushings they tightened up some on the new shaft giving me a fit that was too tight. I used my wheel cyl. hone to get the fit I wanted. My truck has the modified frame that allowed me to do all this without removing the steering box. But after doing all this it removed about 3/4 of the play I had in my steering. Needless to say I was very pleased!! Hope this helps in making your decision.20180115_154209.jpg20180120_132549.jpg20180120_132700.jpg20180120_135354.jpg:cool:

Dean
I had a bunch of those 2wd steering boxes but sold the last one to a guy in Europe. Used of course.
diggerG

I have a complete box if you need it Dean. Not sure of condition. I'll check it for slop tonight. Seemed tight if I remember right.

It is funny that an early sixties Porsche has a very similar stud in the steering box. Not close enough to swap, but pretty much the same. The rest of the vehicle almost couldn't be more different.

I have a 1951 wagon 2 wheel drive with the planar suspension. I am rebuilding the front end and have been able to find most all of the parts, however the steering tube with the worm gear at the bottom does not seem to be available.

I have spoken with the guys at Kaiser Willys and they mentioned that some of these are made new for the smaller CJ models but the ones for the wagons are not, there is just not enough demand. I noticed that the images on line of the parts made for the CJ's wind in the opposite direction of mine. this I think is due to the position of the pitman. I had considered buying one of those and cutting the gear off and reworking my existing one.

Some guys suggested looking for a good used one, I am not sure if that will be any better than my current situation.......in fact mine might just be considered a good used one.

does anyone have any thoughts or contacts or ideas on this or maybe you have the same problem I have. I would love to find somebody that has a new one sitting in a corner somewhere.

Thanks,
Dean

I have the complete steering tube with the worm gear box, the steering shaft and the attached shifter off of a 2 Wd 1948 that I plan on listing on ebay if interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back