Wagon spare tire mounting issue - need some advice

Ok took a couple of more pics for ya. Not sure if you have brackets on your wagon or not but I checked and Walcks has the brackets, bolts, and the large retainer plate “ big washer “ that holds the rim on the bracket. If you need I can remove the spare and take another pic . last pic is looking from outside in thru window .

6A353D7B-AEBB-44B5-9981-3E61C80974F9.jpg92628703-AE15-4B45-B63C-FDC18CF9E7C2.jpg5C335A2B-31E3-4A94-821B-1B1EEEDEDDC8.jpg

Ken, great pics, thanks so much; I've got all the brackets except the "big washer"; I'll get with Walcks and order it. I was obviously trying to mount mine wrong way, and couldn't figure how to hold wheel on the vertical bracket with the small support you show as stabilizing the bottom of the wheel. What are the approx. dimensions of the wood block? Really appreciate your help on this - I might get this spare mounted after all, with a smaller tire on the 16" rim.

I hadposted these pics before but forgot how long ago, so here they are again. The block does have a curve to it. Notice the pic where I have a flat edge on it up to the window light and you can see the curve gap. I think it's made out of oak. Hope this helps.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Ok took a couple of more pics for ya. Not sure if you have brackets on your wagon or not but I checked and Walcks has the brackets, bolts, and the large retainer plate “ big washer “ that holds the rim on the bracket. If you need I can remove the spare and take another pic . last pic is looking from outside in thru window .

View attachment 43798View attachment 43799View attachment 43800

Wow! I've never seen the block or the lower bracket before either. No picture in the parts manual, just part # 672650 Block, spare tire lower support and part # 672630 Clamp, spare tire lower support and for the special bolt 1/2'-20 (clamp to tire support) # 673019.

Thanks for the photos!

Mickey, thanks for the pics of the wood block; I should be able to duplicate it with the help of a friend who does woodworking.

I am glad that you started this thread Norris. I have been thinking about the same issue. Now I know that I am missing most of the assembly. Never thought there would have been a wood block involved as well.

It always helps when we share our challenges and the possible solutions that are offered by different members of our forum; hope the above info and pics also helps others.

Mickey, do you happen to have a pic looking down on the block, ie, showing relation of bolt to curved area?

I'm out of town in snowy Durango right now, so this is the best I got. But I can tell you it is centered both directions, as I recall, and counter sunk with a phillips head tapered bolt.
image.jpg

Hey woodworkers,

Is this block something that with some simple specs, we each could do at home in the shop? Or is this better "mass produced" and perhaps added to the OWF store? Seems like it's needed and missing from many a wagon.

Dan

Hey woodworkers,

Is this block something that with some simple specs, we each could do at home in the shop? Or is this better "mass produced" and perhaps added to the OWF store? Seems like it's needed and missing from many a wagon.

Dan

I would have to see a drawing with measurements, but from the pics I've seen so far it looks easy. I have a pretty extensive woodshop with some CNC equipment. cwd=Classic Wood Designs

The block is very, very simple, except the curve on the top side. Anyone familiar with wood cutting AND comfortable with, has the proper saws, should be able to produce this. The curve is really just sanding it down in a curve to follow a tire somewhat.

The block is very, very simple, except the curve on the top side. Anyone familiar with wood cutting AND comfortable with, has the proper saws, should be able to produce this. The curve is really just sanding it down in a curve to follow a tire somewhat.

Ok, just so I am understand the photos correctly, the block is 3" long front to back, 2" wide side to side, the front is 1 3 /16" high and curves to the rear to 7 /8" high (or vice versa). The bolt hole Is centered and countersunk for a flat head bolt. Is there no curve on the bottom side where it bolts to the bracket?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I used a 15” rim and a really small tire for a smart car. I think of it like a space saver spare on a modern car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, just so I am understand the photos correctly, the block is 3" long front to back, 2" wide side to side, the front is 1 3 /16" high and curves to the rear to 7 /8" high (or vice versa). The bolt hole Is centered and countersunk for a flat head bolt. Is there no curve on the bottom side where it bolts to the bracket?

Thanks!

Yep, you got it. And the curve is not that deep after you cut the straight slope. So you could just sand a little and lay it on your tire to see how it matches, sand more, check, etc. until you get it the way you want.

Last edited:
Ok! I have spindle sanders. I can knock one of those out in about 5 minutes!

Thanks for all of your input!

Thanks for the info. I am sure it will give me a heads up as to what to expect..
-Denver

Ok, I've located a lower tire clamp and made the wooden block. Mine will not fit nearly as nice as 54 wagon ken's does. I cannot use the wooden block because it raises the tire too high for the hugh disc/washer/retainer to fit. My large bracket only has 2 welded nuts and does not have the 3rd upper welded nut in order to move the retainer up enough to fit. Even if it it did bracket would interfere with the rim on the inside and not allow it to be raised more than about 3/8" at best. The angle of the lower clamp bracket is totally off as well as shown in the attached picture. This tire size is 6.50x16LT and is the biggest tire I can fit in that space. It is jammed hard between the seat frame and the window garnish and cannot go any farther forward. I do have the early 1 piece pop out seats. I wonder if the folding seats have more clearance? I guess my options are to weld another nut on the bracket, make a 3/8"H wood block and heat and bend the lower clamp, or some combination thereof.

Willys spare tire mount.jpg

Back