Dec 8, 2017
Seneca Lake Oh.
First Name
Mathew
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1949
When I got my truck home last June, I noticed the Speedo needle broke off and lying in the bottom of the gauge window. I also noticed that the stub of a needle was pointing at 45 mph. (The cable is broke about 5 inches from the trans. case.) I pulled my gauge cluster yesterday to clean it up and repair the broken needle, it's a 49 W the rectangular cluster. As I played with the Speedo I couldn't figure out how to set the needle to go from 0 to 80. Mine sits at 45 and when you spin it back to 0 mph it continues on around to 60 mph. I see there is a little stop tab on the wheel for the needle that only let's it go so far either way but it's not stopping it where it needs to be. If someone knows how to reset this thing I would really appreciate hearing from you. Thanks, matty49

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

So does the needle not rest on the "stop" tab at zero? Could you post a picture of the mechanism to see what you have/are working with? This might have better response in the wagon tech area.

If you want to save a bunch of time and aggravation....Take the unit to a reputable speedo/gauge repair shop... If you really want
reliable, find a aftermarket unit that will fit and has a trip meter...I wish someone had told me after numerous fixes and 2 rebuilds.
My new speedo was $100... The instrument has a resettable trip meter and the illumination at night is twice as good as stock. No
more bouncy needle. The original instrument now resides on a shelf of high honor in the shop..

Last edited:
I've taken a few pics so you might be able to see what's going on.

If you look on the left side of Speedo you see a small metal arm that extends to #3 diget. It is actually resting on a small metal tab attached to the wheel that turns the Speedo needle and that is pointing at 45 mph. The tab won't let it go past 45
If you turn the needle ccw it spins on past zero and back up to 65 where the little tab again stops the needle. If I remove the small screwdriver the needle spins back to 45 mph. So it seems the range of motion is close to correct but don't know what to do to get it right. My gauge cluster is in fantastic shape and would prefer to keep it intact if possible. I would think the spring tension would swing the needle to the left and the Speedo cable would make it go to the left.

Any ideas?

Matty 49
20180212_214550.jpg20180212_214643.jpg20180212_214744.jpg

If you look on the left side of Speedo you see a small metal arm that extends to #3 diget. It is actually resting on a small metal tab attached to the wheel that turns the Speedo needle and that is pointing at 45 mph. The tab won't let it go past 45
If you turn the needle ccw it spins on past zero and back up to 65 where the little tab again stops the needle. If I remove the small screwdriver the needle spins back to 45 mph. So it seems the range of motion is close to correct but don't know what to do to get it right. My gauge cluster is in fantastic shape and would prefer to keep it intact if possible. I would think the spring tension would swing the needle to the left and the Speedo cable would make it go to the left. Any ideas. ,Matty 49View attachment 43723View attachment 43726View attachment 43727

Sorry, the last sentence should read "the Speedo cable should make it go "right"

If you look on the left side of Speedo you see a small metal arm that extends to #3 digit. It is actually resting on a small metal tab attached to the wheel that turns the Speedo needle and that is pointing at 45 mph. The tab won't let it go past 45
If you turn the needle ccw it spins on past zero and back up to 65 where the little tab again stops the needle. If I remove the small screwdriver the needle spins back to 45 mph. So it seems the range of motion is close to correct but don't know what to do to get it right. My gauge cluster is in fantastic shape and would prefer to keep it intact if possible. I would think the spring tension would swing the needle to the left and the Speedo cable would make it go to the left. Any ideas. ,Matty 49View attachment 43723View attachment 43726View attachment 43727
@matty49 ,

I think you're onto something. It looks like something is off with the speed cup and metal arm. I will try to get some pictures this week of some of the ones I'm working on. And you're right; your gauge cluster is in incredible shape.

Edit: I read it wrong the first time....

It looks like the needle has "spun" on its shaft that sticks out from the face.

Between your 45 and 65 should be at the Willys Overland at the bottom.

I also think that the "stop" is on the wrong side and should be the stop for the zero.

Can you get the stop on the other side?

Last edited:
BTW here's a trick if you need to lift off the needle....some guys use a fork to lift off the needles to prevent damage.

107390-e29d58cb096b6057a2cd5457fc0f1cb5.jpg

Last edited:
maybe someone pulled it apart and did not put it back together correctly.

maybe lift the lever over so the stop is on the other side?

Last edited:
if the "stop" is connected to the face, then maybe someone pulled it apart and did not put it back together correctly.

if not maybe pull the face and lift it over so the stop is on the other side?

I just looked at one I have sitting here that I broke :-S and I think he is correct, I thing the stop has moved and your needle is on the wrong side of it...

I just looked at one I have sitting here that I broke :-S and I think he is correct, I thing the stop has moved and your needle is on the wrong side of it...
I'm going down and grab it off the bench and check it out some more after supper. Post more later. matty49

I looked at this Speedo til I went crosseyed. Finally I held the Speedo needle and turned the "wheel." The shaft turned enough for me to get the needle to zero but the spring carries it on around till it rests on WILLYS as in the pic. Still not right but a little closer. Did anyone else find anything?
matty49
02bdf1f89e4569de57c35259e249a10e.jpg

I think you need to lift the thin piece of metal and move the wheel to the other side of the stop, then move the needle.

This is the "stop" correct?
speedo.jpg

Last edited:
I think you need to lift the thin piece of metal and move the wheel to the other side of the stop, then move the needle.

This is the "stop" correct?

View attachment 43741
By God I think you're right. The only thing I could see also maybe as an issue is on the back of the "wheel" in the recessed area. There are what appears to be counter-weights (I think magnets though based on the action of the speedo) 180 degrees opposite of each other on the part that spins. If one is missing it might cause the needle to naturally go past the stop or not stay where it should with lack of input, hence the 45 reading.

By God I think you're right. The only thing I could see also maybe as an issue is on the back of the "wheel" in the recessed area. There are what appears to be counter-weights (I think magnets though based on the action of the speedo) 180 degrees opposite of each other on the part that spins. If one is missing it might cause the needle to naturally go past the stop or not stay where it should with lack of input, hence the 45 reading.
"MATTY49: I saw no evidence of magnets, but mine has a very fine "watch spring" just on the backside of the Speedo face. I did move the stop to the back side of the arm but it only changed things by a fraction. Since it is under spring tension my theory of the Speedo cable moves the needle right and the spring brings it back to zero is out the window cause the spring also moves the needle right. Surely someone out there in Willys land knows how this thing works. matty49

You won't see the magnets, they're in the aluminum cups.

If the spring moves the needle towards the right, you need to re-set the pretension on the spring by moving the needle one turn clockwise and when done, make sure you are on the correct side of the stop so that the spring will return the needle to the left.

Then you need to lift off the needle and press it back on pointing to zero.

Last edited:
You won't see the magnets, they're in the aluminum cups.

If the spring moves the needle towards the right, you need to re-set the pretension on the spring by moving the needle one turn clockwise and when done, make sure you are on the correct side of the stop so that the spring will return the needle to the left.

Then you need to lift off the needle and press it back on pointing to zero.
Ok, I'm willing to give it a try, soon as I get time I'll give it a shot.

Back