Hood release spring mechanism.

You are missing just the stud and spring assembly... Mine was missing the stamped part and safety latch you have in the photo.
I had to fabricate a bracket to replicate it...I found a used spring/stud plunger in Ebay.. And I'd bet Digger has one he could sell
ya..

I know I'm missing the spring assembly. My question is how it attached. I'm assuming there should be a nut of some sort in that hole. The hood pic previously in this thread shows what looks to me as an after the factory weld job. Mine seems to have some factory indents and no evidence of welds. Hence looking for a pic.

I know I'm missing the spring assembly. My question is how it attached. I'm assuming there should be a nut of some sort in that hole. The hood pic previously in this thread shows what looks to me as an after the factory weld job. Mine seems to have some factory indents and no evidence of welds. Hence looking for a pic.

OK, got it...Everyone elses photos show a nut welded on the bracket...And that nut is what the plunger assy. screws into.. When I made my replica bracket,
I made it with just a hole the same size as the plunger... I then used a nut on both sides of the plunger to fasten it to the bracket.. The hole in
your bracket seems kinda large to use my method.. I think I'd remove the hood and with it upside down, I'd weld a heavy washer centered over
the existing hole.. The washer would have an I.D. very close to that of the plunger..

Bye the way, are you also using outside hood hold downs? Just curious... I used them as backup. Driving in heavy desert winds the hood acts like
it might fly open without them..

hood

for what it's worth....

Attachments

• T1.jpg
    T1.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 93
  • T2.jpg
    T2.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 93
  • T3.jpg
    T3.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 93
Bye the way, are you also using outside hood hold downs? Just curious... I used them as backup. Driving in heavy desert winds the hood acts like
it might fly open without them..

Yes the PO had installed the outside hood latches typically found on the CJ's and I kind of like the look so I will be keeping them. Thanks for the washer idea.

I just purchased a 61 truck with lots of little things missing like bench seat springs I noted in another thread! I too need that large spring # 12 or specifically willys # 661369 I also need the small spring for the top of the prop rod. Any one have those 2 springs? I was thinking of trying some old valve springs. Tkx Jim F

For the hood latch parts you listed, Contact Harry at Mid West Willys, (765) 918-2734. Tell him Denver sent you. Or call The Jeepster Man, (732)458-3966.
Out on the west coast is Willys America, (707) 632-5258; Gina can help you.
Good Luck,
Denver

I'll check those. I know Ratner, the jeepster man, forgot to ask them. 10 dealers so far zip.. tkx I'll ck tomorrow.

yes there is or in your case was a captive nut . Either spot welded in or sheet metal bent over it so it can move. I believe most are spot welded. You just push up on the spring and turn the rod into it. I tried several springs that will do the trick from my hardware store but none work. I have several offers but not one has written back to say they can or will ship one and I have contacted over a dozen supply/junk yard jeep dealers. I have much to do so it now on my back burner.

I'll check those. I know Ratner, the jeepster man, forgot to ask them. 10 dealers so far zip.. tkx I'll ck tomorrow.
If you are looking for an extremely easy and cheap way to insure your hood doesnt smash into your windshield, see the attachment below. One hole to drill and one pin to purchase and a foot of cord. Not period correct, but the hood isnt going anywhere.

Attachments

• 15514645022632725316168043800063.jpg
    15514645022632725316168043800063.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 81
ab06f1b87de2c4df73710c70e62383b6.jpg
. After watching Denny’s thread on his stuck hood, I realized mine was missing some parts. Does anyone have any idea where I could get parts 11 through 14? Or some pictures good enough for me to fabricate the parts? It appears there used to be a hole that has been torn out previously. Thanks. John
36a6508c41f9a499e8c58659e0bc3162.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John, I may have some. Nelson teachcarpentry@gmail.com 207 233 7585 In Maine

. After watching Denny’s thread on his stuck hood, I realized mine was missing some parts. Does anyone have any idea where I could get parts 11 through 14? Or some pictures good enough for me to fabricate the parts? It appears there used to be a hole that has been torn out previously. Thanks. John

I just purchased all of those parts from Mid West Willeys. Also purchased 15 - 22 from them as an assembly. The safety pick can be had from KW or Walcks.

I just purchased all of those parts from Mid West Willeys. Also purchased 15 - 22 from them as an assembly. The safety pick can be had from KW or Walcks.
The spring for the pick can also be had from KW and Walcks.

Try Jo at mid west willys
They seem to have the most used parts. Walcks also has tons of used but I know he doesn't have that part.

Back