Kansas
First Name
john
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1960
ab06f1b87de2c4df73710c70e62383b6.jpg
. After watching Denny’s thread on his stuck hood, I realized mine was missing some parts. Does anyone have any idea where I could get parts 11 through 14? Or some pictures good enough for me to fabricate the parts? It appears there used to be a hole that has been torn out previously. Thanks. John
36a6508c41f9a499e8c58659e0bc3162.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Some pictures:

hood_prop_top.jpg

hood.jpg

000_0005.jpg

That’s what they are supposed to look like?!? My secondary latch looks like Indian johns. Yours is a straight J

Thanks for the pics!

Our safety (secondary) latch also looked like Indian John's when we got it. You've got to wonder it they get that way from doing their job... catching a hood that would otherwise meet the windshield.

The primary catch really isn't much more than a 1/2" bolt. The factory one is fine thread if I recall from when we had ours apart, but I doubt that's absolutely necessary. The tapered head is only for the convenience of not having to push the release to close the hood. The spring, also a convenience to lift the hood for the user to get a hand in to the secondary release.

201802052138.jpg

201802052141.jpg

One option would be to replace it with a similar set-up from a 73-87 Chevrolet truck but I see no reason why the average home mechanic shouldn't be able to weld a nut-on-plate to where the previous has ripped out. Thread into that a 1/2" x 3" or 3-1/4" bolt with a fender washer and a spring. Use a second nut as a lock to hold the bolt properly adjusted. If the user wanted to get fancier, he could weld a stub of round rod to the bolt head and grind to a taper to facilitate closing the hood. Either way, the head would be caught under the latch just like the original.

Some might argue, "Too much work for such a simple part!" but I'd take pride to make one (and have fun doing it) if needed.

Last edited:
Our safety (secondary) latch also looked like Indian John's when we got it. You've got to wonder it they get that way from doing their job... catching a hood that would otherwise meet the windshield.

The primary catch really isn't much more than a 1/2" bolt. The factory one is fine thread if I recall from when we had ours apart, but I doubt that's absolutely necessary. The tapered head is only for the convenience of not having to push the release to close the hood. The spring, also a convenience to lift the hood for the user to get a hand in to the secondary release.

201802052138.jpg

201802052141.jpg

One option would be to replace it with a similar set-up from a 73-87 Chevrolet truck but I see no reason why the average home mechanic shouldn't be able to weld a nut-on-plate to where the previous has ripped out. Thread into that a 1/2" x 3" or 3-1/4" bolt with a fender washer and a spring. Use a second nut as a lock to hold the bolt properly adjusted. If the user wanted to get fancier, he could weld a stub of round rod to the bolt head and grind to a taper to facilitate closing the hood. Either way, the head would be caught under the latch just like the original.

Some might argue, "Too much work for such a simple part!" but I'd take pride to make one (and have fun doing it) if needed.

I really appreciate you taking the time to explain that! Would be pretty easy to fabricate but diggerg(Greg) says he has an extra setup. Thanks. John

I have that stuff John. I'll PM you.
diggerG
Greg
That would be great! This forum is amazing. I could just sit for hours and read these forum entries. Not only for the information but it makes me realize what a great bunch of guys and gals are on it! I hope that as I learn more about these Willy’s, I can help out as much too. Thanks. John

...I see no reason why the average home mechanic shouldn't be able to weld a nut-on-plate to where the previous has ripped out.

That's pretty much what we did. Mine hadn't broken out yet but when we pulled it apart it was clear it was getting close. We added an additional steel plate behind the original, welded the nut through to the steel plate, and put everything back together. As thin as that original piece was it's not surprising that they break.

I've got about 6 more of those latches like John needed. Anybody else?
diggerG

My secondary latch looks like Indian johns.

I've come to the conclusion that the safety latches do not get bent from doing their job at some point over the years, but from previous owners forgetting to align it with its catch-hole before slamming the hood down. That's the only way they'd get bent the way they do (sideways and/or up). If they were catching the hood, they'd be stretched.

My secondary latch looked like yours, but cracked some and the spring is broken. It was a bit of a surprise to me to see the way it is supposed to be shaped. The old girl still worked as advertised. After looking at the new ones you guys have shown it was easy to straighten, even the mangled and twisted finger loop was salvageable, the cracks were fairly easy to weld up. The spring is still missing but I'm not all that sure it is needed, the thing works perfectly as is. I suppose it could be a rattle spot though.

After looking at the new ones you guys have shown it was easy to straighten, even the mangled and twisted finger loop was salvageable, the cracks were fairly easy to weld up.

Sounds just like ours was. When I fixed it, I added the Safety Hood Catch Spring from Walck's to one of my orders when I was doing it. Probably not something I'd order by itself since just about any light spring can be bent into shape to do the job. Theirs fits well though.

Here is a pic of my hood where the hood latch goes. I'm missing the spring assembly, but how does it attached to the hood. What piece am I missing? Can anyone post a pic of their factory setup?
image.jpg

You are missing just the stud and spring assembly... Mine was missing the stamped part and safety latch you have in the photo.
I had to fabricate a bracket to replicate it...I found a used spring/stud plunger in Ebay.. And I'd bet Digger has one he could sell
ya..

Back