Got one of those infared Lazer thermometers on the way to find a bad wheel bearing.

Moriazbane

Sharpest Tool
Jan 27, 2017
Mount Vernon IL
First Name
Scott
Willys Model
  1. Jeepster
Willys Year:
  1. 1948
I've got a 2009 Ford Flex FWD that has a bad bearing in the front. I can feel it in the steering wheel. Turning right or left doesn't affect it, and both front wheels are tight jacked up. The disk brakes rub too much to be able to tell anything with them installed. At $199 for the Hub assembly, I'd rather not do them both.
Hopefully there will be enough difference that after a 10-20 mile drive I can figure which one is running a little hotter. Noise is energy after all. It sounds like a B-17 at speed. Not loud at all but noticeable. I bought one for like $7 off ebay. Should be useful to find dragging brakes or what not too.

Scott,

Take your Flex for a good ride. Jack one side up at a time, parking brake on, wheels chocked, and have someone run the car in drive. Carefully place your hand on the spring and feel for the vibration. This is the way we used to diagnose them in the shop.

Dave

I would be tempted to put all the windows down, put on my coveralls and coat, chopper mitts, and "call out the bandits" when you see em'. Maybe get the wife a nice leather jacket, officers flight cap, and have her drive. How many times does your DD sound like a B17 ? Take advantage of it !
Then fix the wheel bearing.

I had the pleasure of hearing one fly over a couple years ago. Same drone, different reason.

Just a drive from town to home, the hub on the drivers side was 15-20 degrees warmer (55 vs. 75) My wife is driving it on a 40 mile round trip today, I'll check it at the end of that 20 mile return trip. It was fun to play with, worth the $7 just to check temps all over the place. The heated flex seat was 114 degrees!

I replaced the drivers side bearing and hub, despite Murphys law, and the odds, the noise is gone!

I remember getting the Johnstone catalog back when I was a landlord. When the infrared thermometers suddenly dropped from $799 to $79, I bought one. I was doing a lot of refrigerator and AC repairs, and it was so handy. I remember driving home with it and checking stuff while I drove. Temperature of the asphalt under the trees - 88 degrees. Temperature in the middle of a busy intersection - 130 degrees.

Now they are cheap! I have used it for checking when the thermostat opens on an engine, water temperature in the house, and yes for bad bearings. I recently checked the surface temperatures of white, black, silver and blue cars. The blue was the hottest.

I keep an infrared by the driver seat of our RV. I check the tires and hubs once or twice a day to help detect rubbing brakes, bad bearings and low tires.

Matt B

Here's what happens when you have to keep driving on a bad bearing...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSpUR7xAb2H/?taken-by=oldwillysforum

I had a bearing go bad on my old Suburban in the middle of the Nevada desert, 300 miles from civilization. No choice other than to keep going. We made it to Vegas, and borrowed tools from Sparky Powers to fix it on the fly. Nerve wracking to say the least...

Pete

I'll bet that was hard on the brakes on that side! The bearings on mine never did have any play (yet), but it does make a very slight noise I can't describe just turning it by hand, and it doesn't feel as smooth as the new one. Neither the new hub or the old one spins freely by hand too much grease and a little friction from the seals I guess. I got the 3 year one over the 1 year warranty one. Just because. That would make a great bolt on tire carrier for my trailer if I had the Ford Bolt pattern on it.

Attachments

• CIMG4142.jpg
    CIMG4142.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 10
  • CIMG4141.jpg
    CIMG4141.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 10
Back