Suicide door Wagon Does exist

To all concerned.

The suicide door wagon is safely stored in a shipping container on my Florida ranch where it will remain until I complete my CJ2A, Cj3B and my beloved Traveller wagon. But fear not I am not going to hide it away from you all. I value all your expertise and encourage discussion on the wagons future. Especially on the direction of restoration. I will be taking it out again soon to take more photos of specific details for you. I am also going to post a picture of the title for the wagon if someone cares to undertake researching the history for me that would be great. I simply am pressed for time.
I think that the pics that I posted of my cousin’s wagon with suicide doors from north Louisiana is of the same vehicle as yours. Did u purchase your wagon from West Monroe, La?

David,

Excuse my delayed reponse.

Yes, I did get this from West Monroe. Do you know more of the history of this Willys? Being soo rare it would be nice to know where it has been.

The Suicide wagon and my Traveller are off to the restoration shop in June. I expect them back in November. Looking like new.

Suicide door wagon

David,

Excuse my delayed reponse.

Yes, I did get this from West Monroe. Do you know more of the history of this Willys? Being soo rare it would be nice to know where it has been.

The Suicide wagon and my Traveller are off to the restoration shop in June. I expect them back in November. Looking like new.

3/8/18–Unfortantely I know very little about your new wagon with suicide doors. My first cousin told me that he bought it from a guy in Shreveport and that it had been in east Texas.

I was doing some research on wagons and came across a 'suicide door' version. This is an ambulance conversion prototype. The rear doors are very different than the wagon in this discussion. But, I wanted to point out that they did make some, even if it is different. Very interesting how they used front doors for the back. Reminds me of a Crosley sedan.

Bill

1951_4x4_73_Siebert_ambulance_lft_frnt-494x405.jpg1951_4x4_73_Siebert_ambulance_lft_sd_intr-494x367.jpg1951_4x4_73_Siebert_ambulance_rt_rear-494x428.jpg

I was doing some research on wagons and came across a 'suicide door' version. This is an ambulance conversion prototype. The rear doors are very different than the wagon in this discussion. But, I wanted to point out that they did make some, even if it is different. Very interesting how they used front doors for the back. Reminds me of a Crosley sedan.

Bill

View attachment 44865View attachment 44866View attachment 44867
Nice photos Bill, Unusual to me that the under seat storage bin is in the back and not one under the drivers seat also. Maybe the three sixes in the project number put a curse on production. :cheers:

Bill

View attachment 44865View attachment 44866View attachment 44867
Terrific Find. Very interesting door configuration.
T

Modified tailgate latches and rear window panel hardware. Also the doors have original sliding window setup with beehive style ashtrays. Added amber lights may have been added at any time. In my original build in 2000, I had considered a passenger side only add on door, but the finished product time required cancelled that add on.”

The Suicide Door Wagon is progressing daily. Here are some photos of the restoration.
Wagon Restoration 1954 Willys Suicide Doors 14.jpegWagon Restoration 1954 Willys Suicide Doors 12.jpegWagon Restoration 1954 Willys Suicide Doors 5.jpegWagon Restoration 1954 Willys Suicide Doors 2.jpegWagon Restoration 1954 Willys Suicide Doors 3.jpegWagon Restoration 1954 Willys Suicide Doors 13.jpegWagon Restoration 1954 Willys Suicide Doors 6.jpegWagon Restoration 1954 Willys Suicide Doors 9.jpegWagon Restoration 1954 Willys Suicide Doors 10.jpeg
After sand blasting the body we discovered that all the custom body work to make the 4 door conversion at the factory was brazed in metal, not mig welded. The rear door pillars are reinforced with 1/4 inch steel plates, running from the floor to the roof rail. The floorboards had prior work done to them also. The roof appears to have been damaged by a tree branch or similar. There was a lot of bondo up there. It looks good now

Cool Truck, Although I would not want to foot the bill its so great to see a true restoration being done. How many times have we all went to purchase a vehicle that claims to have been restored,only to find it has new paint and brake lines and everything else is spray can restored . Your rebuilding a treasure that will be around another 50 to 60 years Good Luck and Enjoy

Back