Jan 16, 2018
Tucson
First Name
Matt
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1957
Back around 1980, I bought a strange-looking watch from a thrift store. I probably paid a dollar. I had a vintage pocket watch that needed a repair (another story), and I took this along to show the watchmaker. He glanced at it and handed it back, and said "1935 (I think that was the year) Willys Overland dash clock. I know because I owned one." Her explained that there was no loop because it would never be attached to a chain. The stem was faced down for ergonomic winding by driver or passenger. An eight-day movement would allow it to run accurately while the vehicle sat for a week without being driven.

I didn't know what a Willys or an Overland was, and the clock went into a box.

I now own a Willys wagon, and remembered the clock. A quick search on Google did not reveal anything.

Ever seen one?

Attachments

• clock2.jpg
    clock2.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 19
  • clock 1.jpg
    clock 1.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 17
Cool background. Can imagine one on the dash of one of these pre-war Willys-Overland sedans:

WIL_09.JPG

There would have to be a bracket mounted on the dash to hold the clock so I seriously doubt that this was a Willys-only item. It's probably an aftermarket accessory. Maybe someone has a very old J.C. Whitney-type catalog that could verify this.

Back