Jan 21, 2018
West Richland, WA
First Name
Lee
Willys Model
  1. Other
Willys Year:
  1. 1955
First time on this forum. I have to downsize my auto collection. I have two Bermudas. I thought I would get one of them running and sell. I need a distributor for it however. Does anyone have a clue of where I can find one. I do not have a parts manual so don't have the original OEM part number to use that as a search. Any help or advise would be appreciated. The other Bermuda does not have an engine.
Lee

Welcome, Lee. Let us know what engine is in the Bermuda, to help identify the correct distributor you're looking for.

Welcome from Colorado, Lee. Post some pics of your Bermudas. I'm not familiar with them. Pivnic

1955 version of the Aero?

195bermudafrt_WEB.jpg

http://www.automotivereport.net/rear-view/1955-willys-bermuda/

1955 bermuda

Welcome, Lee. Let us know what engine is in the Bermuda, to help identify the correct distributor you're looking for.

Thanks for the message Don. Wonder if you can help me out here. The engine that is now in the auto is not the original engine. Sometime after I saved the Bermuda many years ago from a wrecking yard that was going out of business, I bought an engine for it from a nice fellow in Idaho. Been so long ago now. He stated the engine had little use and would be the correct engine for my Bermuda. I am kind of thinking it was out of an Aero however. Not familiar much with the Willys. Not sure if it is same or correct engine now or not. I did install it however as I want to sell the vehicle. But on another site recently looking for a distributor it shows two engines and asks which one it was by cu in. I did not know how to answer. The engine number is 12164.
Can you tell me more about this engine serial number, if it is correct for the Bermuda and which cu in it is?
Lee

In order to identify the engine, we will need more information, or ideally a few photos posted. Poking around on Google a little bit, it says the Bermuda (which was simply the 1955 top-end hardtop model, of what had in previous years been the Aero car) - most sources say they were all built with the 226 cu. in. "Super Hurricane" (Kaiser built) engine. This engine used a 2 bbl Carter carb. This engine is an L-Head (flat head) and says "Super Hurricane" across the top I believe. Some sources also say some few of the cars were built with a 161 cu. in. which is an F-Head (overhead valves, not a flat head). This engine used a 1 bbl Carter carb.

Now I am by no means any good with serial numbers etc, but I know that before a serial number can mean anything, we need to know what engine it is identifying. Others on this Forum will be far more knowledgeable than me. But we have to pin down what the engine is. Hopefully the guy in Idaho knew what he was talking about when he sold it to you.

What other numbers appear anywhere on the engine? The more numbers/information, the better the answer will be.

Another thought - is the problem that there is no Distributor present at all? Or simply that it has problems? Because if there is a distributor in place on the engine, it should have an oval tag that identifies what brand (AutoLite, etc) and Model Number it is. If we know what the old distributor is, it makes sense that you should be seeking a replacement of the same brand and model number.

Okay Don the Engine does have Super Hurricane on the head which is a good sign. Engine has carb, generator etc and mostly complete with the exception of the distributor for some reason. I am attaching a picture. Not familiar at all with Willys but looks like the distributor connects to the top of the engine where the gizmo with a slot in it appears. Much different than other engines I am familiar with that usually has a hole and the distributor has a long shaft that connects to the camshaft gear. Not sure how the distributor is driven on this engine. I don't know if the slotted gizmo can be raised or what??
Bermuda Engine1.JPG

That's great, so now we know it is a 226 cu. in. Super Hurricane!

Poking around for a while on the internet, because I got curious about it, it looks like an engine number of 12164 is probably a 1953 engine. Is there possibly a "4J" that appears just before that number? Or any other numbers you can find on the engine?

Nothing wrong with having a 1953 engine, virtually nothing changed versus 1954 or 55, it appears.

Hoping someone who is more familiar than me will jump in here.....

Or maybe the IAT 4206 is more correct. It looks like the distributor does mount on the slotted shaft you identified, and the two bolt holes on either side mount a short cast iron "tower" which receives the distributor body.

Not familiar at all with Willys but looks like the distributor connects to the top of the engine where the gizmo with a slot in it appears. Much different than other engines I am familiar with that usually has a hole and the distributor has a long shaft that connects to the camshaft gear. Not sure how the distributor is driven on this engine. I don't know if the slotted gizmo can be raised or what??
View attachment 43105

The bit you can see in the hole is a separate shaft. The slot on the top end of this shaft is off center, so that the distributor can't be turned 180 degrees. The other end of the shaft just has a regular slot on it and can be turned 180. The shaft just sits in the hole, and can be lifted out with a magnet or screwdriver.
The distributor has a short shaft, with matching tab that goes into the slot on the lower shaft. There is an aluminum collar that mounts to the head with one bolt, and the distributor mounts on top of the collar with another bolt that has a slot in a bracket on the bottom of the distributor to adjust the timing.

Here's a couple of pics for reference. You can get an electronic ignition module for these distributors too.

dist13.jpg

distr04.jpg

Pete

Hi Lee. Welcome!

I may be interested in your car(s) or parts when you get around to selling. If the price is right, anyways. Just let me know

Thanks
734-625-272three

Pete I thank you for your time spent to answer my forum post. Thank you for the very excellent description and pictures. Are the pictures of two different distributors that will fit? Vintage Don stated that the Autolite IAT4206 is the distributor I should be looking for. Do you agree with that for a 1955 Bermuda? I think this is correct.
Lee

Yes I will let you know. I plan on taking it to our annual local auto club flea market in April and will contact you before then.
Lee

Pete I thank you for your time spent to answer my forum post. Thank you for the very excellent description and pictures. Are the pictures of two different distributors that will fit? Vintage Don stated that the Autolite IAT4206 is the distributor I should be looking for. Do you agree with that for a 1955 Bermuda? I think this is correct.
Lee

I can't remember the distributor numbers are, I can look and see what mine are. The two distributors I have are slightly different from each other. The older looking unit is the original from my 1960 2-226, and the newer looking unit is from a spare engine I have that has been rebuilt. I don't know the history of newer looking unit.

The drive tooth on the bottom of the newer unit had a different rotation, or clocking, than my original, which you can see in the pic I posted. The rotors at the other end were in the same position for that picture. I modified the newer unit to match the old one, by driling a new hole in the shaft for the roll pin that holds the tooth on. I have been using it for a year or so without issue.

Pete

Okay I have the engine installed. Not running yet. Trying to do odds and ends. Need to find out where I can find the service literature on the radio in this vehicle. Can any of you provide any help for me at all??
Sure would like to find the Service Literature for the auto radio in this 1955 Willys Bermuda. The Aero might be the same. I have the Howard Sams Index and also some AR manuals. but cannot find anything that match the numbers I found on the radio.
The number I think might be a model number is #39255 stamped into the outside of the radio chassis. There is also a WS2C but don't think that is anything.
Also some other numbers but they are numbers I found when I removed the top cover to get at the tubes. They are only item part numbers I think. They are 7C5U798, 51D502000 & 294317.
Hope you can help me. I have a few Photofact manuals left over when I used to be in business but not sure I have the one for this radio. But of course I can't even seem to find any listing for it.
Hope one of you can help me.
Lee

Back