Likes Likes:  3

Thread: newbie

Gear Grinder
    First Name
    Dave
    Year
    Model
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi all. I've had my old Willys for about 23 yrs and just now found your forum. My original 134 is smoking a little now after 20 yrs on a re-ring and bearings. She runs great but an engine rebuild is one of the last things I'd like to give her. Fortunately, my brother is a whiz with cars and has helped me lots over the years. Anyways, I'm looking at the cost of a rebuild kit and machine shop costs then comparing it to a diesel swap and they seem pretty close. Anybody used an Overland Diesel swap kit?
    TrollhaugenOff-Road08-2009001.jpg
    Last edited by notsofast; 01-11-2018 at 05:28 PM.

Gear Grinder
    First Name
    Jonald
    Year
    Model
    FC
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dave,
    I don't have any experience with the Overland Diesel kit. I had to look it up after reading your post. I am curious what the draw would be to a 65hp tractor engine would be. I get the diesel desire, but a tractor engine isn't generally set up for throttle response. Then again, my tractor doesn't have a turbo. I'd be interest in knowing more.

I used to have a Samurai with a 1.6L VW diesel engine. It was pretty good (awesome off road). I sold it to a friend who replace the NA engine with a stroked 1.6 TD. That was amazing. The Samurai is similar in size and weight to the flatfenders. I bet the turbo diesel would be great in your Willys. Not sure if they would have anything for your transmission, but I used ACME Adapters in Portland, OR. A quick look at their website reveals they have kits for Suzuki and Toyota transmissions. That may not be of interest to you, but I thought I would share.

3. Likes scramboleer liked this post
    Gear Grinder
    First Name
    Dave
    Year
    Model
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really am torn about getting rid of the original F-head. It has been so good to me for the time I've owned this Willys. The reason I'm considering it is because over the yrs my rig has gotten much heavier than stock. Disc brakes, power steering, reinforced frame, 6-point roll cage. The storage compartment under the seat has a full compliment of tools and the center console has many extra, small parts. I drive on the street and on the trail. I often run out of power on the trail. The engine just bogs down. I'd like something that would just keep pulling and be a little easier to negotiate tough stuff with instead of having to use momentum. It seems like a fun project too.
    Last edited by notsofast; 01-12-2018 at 07:58 AM.

First Name
    Bryce
    Year
    Model
    Pickup
    Post Thanks / Like
    howdy from ks.
    Flat Rate Auggie - Dont scratch my rust!
    Help finding this old Gasser! - http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=690676

First Name
    Eric
    Year
    Model
    Pickup
    Post Thanks / Like
    Based on my research diesel conversions usually end up costing between $7k-$10k depending on how much you pay for the engine. I am curious how they drive as far as power, throttle response, etc.
    'Carpe Diem'
    1962 Willys Truck - 1994 Jeep Wrangler- 2001 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Gear Grinder
    First Name
    Dave
    Year
    Model
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Overland conversion kit is $1,400 and used engines available pretty readily for $1,200-$2,200 with rebuilt motors at around $3,200.00.

First Name
    Pete
    Year
    Model
    Wagon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum,

Pete
    Founder of OldWillysForum.com
    My 1960 Willys Wagon Build Thread | Instagram

Gear Grinder
    First Name
    Dave
    Year
    Model
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. I like the Willys forums because members are active for many years because they keep the old rigs for many years. The experienced is always on tap which is good because the old Willys projects never end.
    Last edited by notsofast; 01-16-2018 at 10:09 AM.

10. Likes scramboleer liked this post
    Well-Oiled
    First Name
    Greg
    Year
    Model
    Wagon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by notsofast View Post
    I really am torn about getting rid of the original F-head. It has been so good to me for the time I've owned this Willys. The reason I'm considering it is because over the yrs my rig has gotten much heavier than stock. Disc brakes, power steering, reinforced frame, 6-point roll cage. The storage compartment under the seat has a full compliment of tools and the center console has many extra, small parts. I drive on the street and on the trail. I often run out of power on the trail. The engine just bogs down. I'd like something that would just keep pulling and be a little easier to negotiate tough stuff with instead of having to use momentum. It seems like a fun project too.
    You just begged for a Buick / Jeep 225 V6. You will go from 70 hp. to 160 and less weight. I did that in the 70's. Completely changed the dynamics of the Jeep.
    diggerG

Gear Grinder
    First Name
    Dave
    Year
    Model
    Post Thanks / Like