Jan 11, 2018
MN
First Name
Dave
Willys Model
  1. CJ
Willys Year:
  1. 1956
Hi all. I've had my old Willys for about 23 yrs and just now found your forum. My original 134 is smoking a little now after 20 yrs on a re-ring and bearings. She runs great but an engine rebuild is one of the last things I'd like to give her. Fortunately, my brother is a whiz with cars and has helped me lots over the years. Anyways, I'm looking at the cost of a rebuild kit and machine shop costs then comparing it to a diesel swap and they seem pretty close. Anybody used an Overland Diesel swap kit?
TrollhaugenOff-Road08-2009001.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Dave,
I don't have any experience with the Overland Diesel kit. I had to look it up after reading your post. I am curious what the draw would be to a 65hp tractor engine would be. I get the diesel desire, but a tractor engine isn't generally set up for throttle response. Then again, my tractor doesn't have a turbo. I'd be interest in knowing more.

I used to have a Samurai with a 1.6L VW diesel engine. It was pretty good (awesome off road). I sold it to a friend who replace the NA engine with a stroked 1.6 TD. That was amazing. The Samurai is similar in size and weight to the flatfenders. I bet the turbo diesel would be great in your Willys. Not sure if they would have anything for your transmission, but I used ACME Adapters in Portland, OR. A quick look at their website reveals they have kits for Suzuki and Toyota transmissions. That may not be of interest to you, but I thought I would share.

I really am torn about getting rid of the original F-head. It has been so good to me for the time I've owned this Willys. The reason I'm considering it is because over the yrs my rig has gotten much heavier than stock. Disc brakes, power steering, reinforced frame, 6-point roll cage. The storage compartment under the seat has a full compliment of tools and the center console has many extra, small parts. I drive on the street and on the trail. I often run out of power on the trail. The engine just bogs down. I'd like something that would just keep pulling and be a little easier to negotiate tough stuff with instead of having to use momentum. It seems like a fun project too.

Last edited:
Based on my research diesel conversions usually end up costing between $7k-$10k depending on how much you pay for the engine. I am curious how they drive as far as power, throttle response, etc.

The Overland conversion kit is $1,400 and used engines available pretty readily for $1,200-$2,200 with rebuilt motors at around $3,200.00.

Thanks guys. I like the Willys forums because members are active for many years because they keep the old rigs for many years. The experienced is always on tap which is good because the old Willys projects never end.

Last edited:
I really am torn about getting rid of the original F-head. It has been so good to me for the time I've owned this Willys. The reason I'm considering it is because over the yrs my rig has gotten much heavier than stock. Disc brakes, power steering, reinforced frame, 6-point roll cage. The storage compartment under the seat has a full compliment of tools and the center console has many extra, small parts. I drive on the street and on the trail. I often run out of power on the trail. The engine just bogs down. I'd like something that would just keep pulling and be a little easier to negotiate tough stuff with instead of having to use momentum. It seems like a fun project too.

You just begged for a Buick / Jeep 225 V6. You will go from 70 hp. to 160 and less weight. I did that in the 70's. Completely changed the dynamics of the Jeep.
diggerG

You just begged for a Buick / Jeep 225 V6. You will go from 70 hp. to 160 and less weight. I did that in the 70's. Completely changed the dynamics of the Jeep.
diggerG

My brother has the 225 in his 1967 CJ. It sounds like a hot rod with the exhaust he has and pulled the front wheels off the ground with my terras on it. He struggles with the same carb issues offroad that's why I've dismissed that idea. If I knew of a way to put fuel injection on my f-head I would consider a good rebuild, get it balanced, and look into any modifications for more power. I just haven't found any modifications that seem to be tried and true for more power.
A guy here locally has a 3B with a custom cam. It really scoots but lost low end torque.

Years ago, when I was single, I hooked up a gas leaf blower for a turbo to see if a belt drive would be worth making. It clearly had more power with my very scientific hill climb test but she blew fuel out the bottom of the link arm. It was fun to have my dad in the back seat with the leaf blower in the place where the front pass seat was. I'd tell him to start the blower and we smiled all the way to the top of the hill on our 6 runs. It was pretty cold too and no top but we had a blast.

Last edited:
Back