Moab 2018: 9th Annual Willys Overland Rally

Sounds like most of us still have some wrenching left to do before we head out for Moab, myself included. This year my list is more of a "want list" rather than the standard "to do" list. Unfortunately, I didn't make it last year partly due to I didn't finish getting my wagon put back together after the body swap and paint. I should have no excuses this year, right. I can't wait to see all of you again and to meet others that I haven't met yet.

For a lot of us the journey to Moab is a long trip and the question of to trailer our rigs or not has been mentioned. I have tried both options over the many years of attending the rally. One year I even paid to have my rig towed back home from Moab. That was a rough weekend. On the drive up to Moab from Vegas I started having vehicle issues and I was unable to diagnose the problem but fortunately I was able to keep it going just long enough to limp it into Moab. To make a long story short the Jeep/Willys community is full of wonderful people and I found someone to tow it back to Vegas and I hitched a ride back home. Since then, just to be on the safe side, I have trailered my rig to Moab. My tow rig isn't a great tow vehicle, Toyota Tundra but it does the job comfortably and at about 14mpg average.

There's no substitution for the feeling of the wind blowing through the windows of your Willys as your cruising down the highway on a road trip. So my answer to trailer or not, well, I guess it would have to be to each his own. It's about the adventure.

See you all soon.

I am heading out to Moab Early on Friday. May 18th and coming back to Colorado on Monday. I was wondering if there are any other Colorado OWF Members going to the OWF Moab Rally and Leaving on Friday, May 18th so we can Convoy to Moab together?? If anyone else is planning to go and are leaving on Friday, May 18th, please respond on this Thread or contact me at my email at: pivnic_43@yahoo.com. Thanks, John (aka: Pivnic)

John,

We'll be leaving the Colorado Springs area on the 18th, but I get off work about 4AM that morning & would like to grab a few hours sleep before rolling. I would love to hook up somewhere on the way out, but certainly don't want to hold anyone else up due to our leaving later than we normally would. If I have to wait until we get there to meet everybody, that's OK too. As long as it happens. ;)

Sounds like most of us still have some wrenching left to do before we head out for Moab, myself included. This year my list is more of a "want list" rather than the standard "to do" list. Unfortunately, I didn't make it last year partly due to I didn't finish getting my wagon put back together after the body swap and paint. I should have no excuses this year, right. I can't wait to see all of you again and to meet others that I haven't met yet.

For a lot of us the journey to Moab is a long trip and the question of to trailer our rigs or not has been mentioned. I have tried both options over the many years of attending the rally. One year I even paid to have my rig towed back home from Moab. That was a rough weekend. On the drive up to Moab from Vegas I started having vehicle issues and I was unable to diagnose the problem but fortunately I was able to keep it going just long enough to limp it into Moab. To make a long story short the Jeep/Willys community is full of wonderful people and I found someone to tow it back to Vegas and I hitched a ride back home. Since then, just to be on the safe side, I have trailered my rig to Moab. My tow rig isn't a great tow vehicle, Toyota Tundra but it does the job comfortably and at about 14mpg average.

There's no substitution for the feeling of the wind blowing through the windows of your Willys as your cruising down the highway on a road trip. So my answer to trailer or not, well, I guess it would have to be to each his own. It's about the adventure.

See you all soon.

Can’t wait to see the new and improved “Hoot” Steve... Glad you are coming again this year.

Pete

John, We'll be leaving the Colorado Springs area on the 18th, but I get off work about 4AM that morning & would like to grab a few hours sleep before rolling. I would love to hook up somewhere on the way out, but certainly don't want to hold anyone else up due to our leaving later than we normally would. If I have to wait until we get there to meet everybody, that's OK too. As long as it happens. ;)

Hi John. What Route are you taking to get to Moab? I'll be getting on I-70 at Evergreen and getting off I-70 at Exit 214 on Rt 128 in Utah to Red Cliff Lodge. If your Route includes I-70, Do you think that we can co-ordinate a Meeting place along this Route and figure out the Timing? Otherwise we'll definitely Meet at the Lodge! Let me know what you think. Pivnic

Let's do it!

Evergreen in directly en-route, little more than an-hour-and-a-half from here. Tell me what time you want to meet and where and I'll reverse engineer our departure time. With his brother and my lovely wife along, there will be four of us. Only two in the Willys obviously, so we'll have an off-topic chase vehicle with us for this, his first long, road trip.

This just keeps getting better!

Last edited:
Let's do it!

Evergreen in directly en-route, little more than an-hour-and-a-half from here. Tell me what time you want to meet and where and I'll reverse engineer our departure time. With his brother and my lovely wife along, there will be four of us. Only two in the Willys obviously, so we'll have an off-topic chase vehicle with us for this, his first long, road trip. This just keeps getting better!

Hi John. I must have lost my first response to your post, as It's not here. This is the second one... That's good news that you'll be going right thru Evergreen on I-70. Do you know where the Walmart is at in Evergreen. I think it's exit # 252 off I-70. Google Map it. At the stop light turn left to see Walmart then left to get into Walmart's parking lot. I'll be in their parking lot. I will figure out the time and let you know way ahead of time (or as soon as I know). We should also get each other's Cell Phone # too. Do you have a CB Radio or Hand Held CB Radio? That would be good too on the trail rides. My Son in Law Alvin is thinking about going as well. I haven't heard from the other Colorado Willys Guys yet that Have Convoyed to Moab in the Past. Some of them are heading out on Wednesday I think... As soon as know, I'll get a hold of you. MY Regular Email is: pivnic_43@yahoo.com. I'm headed out to Floyd's Garage and getting some Body Work Done. Keep in Touch (via my regular email is the best way). Looking forward to meeting you all! John (aka: Pivnic)

still trying to figure out if i can make it or not. work, kids, vacation time. getting the truck ready. we shall see. if we do make it we plan on trying to convoy with you colorado folks

still trying to figure out if i can make it or not. work, kids, vacation time. getting the truck ready. we shall see. if we do make it we plan on trying to convoy with you colorado folks

Cool Bryce. Get all your stuff figured out and your truck ready to go! I'll keep you in the loop. Let us know as soon as you know if your are "go". Your Motel Reservations are critical. You should get your Motel Reversations now so that you have reservations... IF you find that your plans are NOT going to work, you can cancel the Motel Reservations. Find out about their cancellation policy cause they are different. We are planning to Meet at the Walmart Parking Lot in Evergreen, CO on Friday, May 18th Early Morning (Not Crazy Early). You can Google Map this. There is an exit off I-70 for Evergreen. I don't remember what it is but I can find it for you. Get cooking Man and Get Your Truck Ready! I'm looking forward to meeting you. Some of us is planning to leave Moab on Monday, May 21. John (aka: Pivnic)

Registration update:

As of today, we have 41 adults and 4 kids registered, bringing 24-25 Willys to the Rally in May. We are expecting at least 20-25 more people in the coming weeks.

We are working on getting a head count for the Friday dinner and shirt orders.
If you are planning to attend and haven't registered yet please fill out your registration asap. Here's a direct link to register for the event: http://www.willysrally.com/Register2/register2.php

Waiting till the last minute makes it harder to organize the food, and our event sponsors want to know how many folks are going to be there too for donations and raffle items.
Git-r-done...

Counting the days!

rallylinup.jpg

Pete

Thanks for the reminder Pete.

There is an exit off I-70 for Evergreen. I don't remember what it is but I can find it for you. (aka: Pivnic)

The Evergreen Colorado Walmart is off I-70 Exit 252. Moab isn't too much further.
Evergreen_I-70.jpg

Look! I think I can see Floyd just over the crest!

We are in Sutter Creek CA and this will be our first Moab run. We have a 1946 CJ2A that we are bringing in an in-closed cargo trailer. So we figure a two trip or more. Can't wait.

John Nichols

We are in Sutter Creek CA and this will be our first Moab run. We have a 1946 CJ2A that we are bringing in an in-closed cargo trailer. So we figure a two trip or more. Can't wait.

John Nichols

John,

Looking forward to meeting you in Moab, and hoping you'll take me for a spin in your 2A...

Cheers,

Pete

if we do make it we plan on trying to convoy with you colorado folks

Due only to the limited seating in our '59 Pickup (there are 4 of us), we'll also be sporting a 1-ton crewcab chase vehicle on this trip with room for 3 or 4 more and gear, or parts relay, or whatever. Planning on the reverse route on Monday.

' just throwin' it out here on the Interweb.

Pete,

We have two 46 CJ2A's. The first I got in 1973. The one we are bringing to Moab we got a year ago last July. It is a nice looking rig, the wife found it, its green.
I asked why do we need another one, but its so pretty! Yea, but it required a lot of mechanical work to get it right. She named it Betty, because it has Betty Boop floor mats and the wife likes Betty Boop. You may have to ask her if you can ride in it!!

Have a fine Willys Day,

John

Winter moved into town here last night but it's not slowing me down.

Hell, It's only been 3 years sense I dragged my vision home.
Wife rolled her eyes and walked back into the house.

Lazy me, I just registered for the 2018 Moab Rally, I will be at the Apache Motel. I'm starting to get excited. :cool:

Brake system is bleed, had the starter in and out 4 times last Friday afternoon and then I was able to rotate the sbc engine, distributor dropped on to the oil pump and engine is now primed. Next up is the dual exhaust system in the next few days.

Still need to hang the doors. Then fire up the engine for the first time.
Will have a forum member Dan (Willys001) assisting and we will try to record the event to post.

I will then have 3 months to fix any problems. Problems? There wont be any stinking problems!

Cheers. Thomas

Last edited:
Seeing as how I have had my first 46 CJ2A since 1973 there was no problem with the wife, I had it before I met her, in fact she said to people; "that she will go before John's Jeep".
So, what happens? A year ago last July she drove into Jackson, CA and see's another 46 CJ2A. So she drags me out to look at it, well maybe she didn't drag me. And then she says; Honey it is so pretty!! So now we got two. This one has been a work in progress, it cost me about $700.00 to get it to idle. The folks who worked on it were not well versed in working on things, if fact they took stuff off and threw it away. But she is all most ready for Moab. The next big item is a soft top.
It has a heater and had a soft top when we got it. The soft top was never taken care of.
Can't wait for Moab, some people think we are crazy to do this.

John

Can't wait for Moab, some people think we are crazy to do this.

John

Birds of a feather, crazy like the rest of us... Looking forward to seeing your 2A in Moab.

:cheers:

Pete

Birds of a feather, crazy like the rest of us... Looking forward to seeing your 2A in Moab.

:cheers:

Pete

Hi Pete. I've been working Over Time on Floyd getting him ready for Moab this May... What is the Cut Off Date to register with the Forum for Moab this year? Thanks, Pivnic

Hi Pete. I've been working Over Time on Floyd getting him ready for Moab this May... What is the Cut Off Date to register with the Forum for Moab this year? Thanks, Pivnic

John,

The cut off date for registration for the Rally is May 1st, if you want the shirt and Friday buffet. However, the sooner the better because we are trying to keep tabs on the head count for Red Cliffs Lodge meal planning.
If you don't already have a room reserved, you should get that done asap, and then cancel if you decide you aren't coming...

Pete

Back