Feb 12, 2015
Denver, Co
First Name
Thomas
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1957
Ok folks, I'm starting this off and asking, SO WHO IS GOING to be on the road trip to Moab?

I have been reading members postings for many months and have not seen anyone mentioning talking about finishing up their rig in time to attend.
If your wrenching and not telling us, we understand, but please let us know so we can offer encouragement.

Recap; Last year I attended the Rally, sans my 57 pickup because my "To Do List" was too big. I was bummed out.

Then, I was encouraged by my friend Dan, "Willys001, to still attend as I also had lodging expense locked in and I was on the hook for the expenses. That was a learning lesson.

I was so happy to attend and meet all the wonderful OWF Members and ride with Steve in his MB open top flat fender. Thanks again Steve.

This is My Plan, subject to change. Ha. Ha.

I have my lodging booked at the Apache Motel.

I'll leaving Denver on Wed May 16th in the afternoon and going up to our family house in Breckenridge, Co. to stay overnight.
The plan is to meet anyone heading west on I-70 in Frisco, Co. and hoping we will have a Convoy of Willys going to Moab.

I'm wanting to leave Frisco, Co. early Thursday Morning to be in Moab before noon time. That's 284 miles and 2:47 minutes driving time.
I would like to meet with any OWF Members who will be in town and go for a trail run.

Cheers, Thomas

Last edited by a moderator:
Well i am really trying to get my 51 truck mechanically sound enough to dare take a road trip and drive that far ...some 465 miles and 7.5 hours driving

i really want to go ...(one of these years) to say ive been there done that ....if not this year maybe next time around only been driving truck last 5 months to local weekend car show and.....occasionally run stray errands maybe once a month or so drive it to work if jobsite is not to far away...right now my radius is bout 10 to 15 miles from the house ...no freeway driving!....Yet!...hope to have outside mirrors this week seeing as i Think i got the Damned Death Wobble issue solved and a week ago installed steering dampner to further secure the steering once i have mirrors and can see sides of truck ....then only then will i dare risk a couple short freeway trips and see what it does if i try to go faster then 55 MPH .....will it hold together?.. or shake, break, and fly apart at 70 Mph?
so i know i am only week or two away from actually attempting that ...thrilled with extra speed and freedom but uneasy at same time.

i will have to do fair bit of freeway driving in various conditions to really see what is going to happen ....i want to get it to point i can drive relaxed with confidence at freeway speed for extended period of time 2-3 hours and know it wont break down in middle of BFE someplace.

Right now working on weak fuel pump issue and fuel gauge reading along with installing anti slosh baffles in the tank ....oh yeah also trying to track down a front drive shaft fro my NP208 T-case.... i might need that to run with you ...IF i make it this year. dont even know if the damned thing works or not ....
its been on the list for awhile just low priority no need to have driving around town. so that is bout where i am at right now long way from where it was a year ago ...yes truck now runs and drives....but on extended road trip to Moab? i dunno,... well see in the coming months what happens tween now and then.

Larry

at this point the plan is to attend. when we get past this cold weather I will have some things to work on to see if we can make it or not.

Just a heads up, lodging in Moab fills up very early, so if you are planning to attend the Rally, think about booking a room now.
The Rally event usually coincides with one or two other major Moab events the same weekend so there will be large groups of folks in town taking up all of the room availability.

Here's a link to the Lodging options in Moab: http://www.willysrally.com/Lodgingalt/lodgingalt.html

Pete

already reserved some room at apache just in case i actually make it!

Registration is open for the 2018 Willys Rally Moab, go to www.willysrally.com to get your registration in. Get your rooms booked asap, hotels in Moab are booking fast... There are a number of rooms left at the Red Cliffs Lodge as well, blocked out for Rally attendees.

If you are planning on attending, please register early so that we have an accurate head count for planning. Don't wait till the last minute!

[video=youtube;55fH3sgO578]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55fH3sgO578&list=PLg9JiekSBQcDmt24N8XtORlH z3gBqp3MZ&index=22[/video]

Pete

Hey Pete -

The Moab trip sounds awesome! Looks like it’s getting bigger and bigger every year. I myself would love to go but it’s quite far from the Bay Area and I would definitely have to trailer my wagon . Was wondering do you drive or trailer your wagon from Hailey ? Also does the group split up depending on vehicle capability? I mean are there different degrees of trail difficulties? I’ve seen your wagon on some pretty challenging terrain. :confused:

Ken

Hey Pete -

The Moab trip sounds awesome! Looks like it’s getting bigger and bigger every year. I myself would love to go but it’s quite far from the Bay Area and I would definitely have to trailer my wagon . Was wondering do you drive or trailer your wagon from Hailey ? Also does the group split up depending on vehicle capability? I mean are there different degrees of trail difficulties? I’ve seen your wagon on some pretty challenging terrain. :confused:

Ken

Ken,

I've daydreamed about shipping my Traveller out on a car hauler. It wouldn't be cheap, but the Moab Willys experience is quite the event. Another option is to borrow my dad's truck and rent a trailer to haul it.

I may have a work event on Monday morning, so I'm still on the fence for this year.

Dan,

If I was to go I was thinking of doing a week or so and take in some sites along the way. Kinda like a mini vacation. Maybe rent an RV to tow my wagon . To be honest I haven’t done much “ wheeling” in my wagon since I got it , living in the city and all , so I’m a little uneasy about anything too crazy .Thats why I was wondering about the trail difficulty . My other problem is I’m heading to Maui for a week for my sons wedding in a couple of days and my vacation time is going fast. Not really a problem ha

Hey Pete -

Ken

Ken,

I live about 600 miles from Moab, so its a little far for me to drive my wagon in it's current form. Maybe if/when I get an overdrive, I'll drive it down... Joseph will be driving his wagon to Moab again this year.
i don't own a trailer, so I rent a U-Haul car carrier trailer to pull the wagon. I borrowed a trailer the first couple of years, but found I like the U-Haul trailers as they are easy to load/unload and strap down the wagon. They are a bit heavy, but tow nicely even at freeway speeds.

The official Saturday event trail ride is a mild trail that pretty much anyone can do, mostly a scenic dirt road.
Here's a couple of pictures of last years out and back run in Onion Creek. This trail had about 15 water crossings on the way to the top, and then back again. The water crossings were fun, but nothing difficult at all. You can expect to get dusty and dirty on these roads...
Some of the folks that came last year had rigs too nice to drive on such a road, but what's the fun in that? ;) They opted to hang out at the Lodge or run into town for the day instead.

moab17-%20-%20158.jpg

moab17-%20-%20165.jpg

014-moab-willys-rally.jpg

Usually, the only hard part is overheating or other breakdowns... It can be hot in Moab in May. Some years it has been over 100F, others it has been mild in the low 70's or colder.
If someone has a problem, and the whole gang stops to help, it seems like the dominos start falling and a chain reaction happens when folks are waiting around in the heat. I was that guy last year, when my fuel pump died on this trail. I had to be strapped back to the parking lot.
We expect these kinds of issues, and are prepared to help out when necessary.

The harder trails you have seen pictures and vid clips of are from trail runs before and after the event. On Sunday, after the close of the event, we usually break up into small unofficial groups to take on something more challenging, or maybe visit Arches Ntl Park or Canyonlands Ntl Park, etc. There is a wide variety of trail difficulty from mild to wild.

Take a look at the gallery section of the Rally Website for dozens of photos of past events and trail rides we have done as a group.

I hope you can make the trip, its a blast. I'm counting the days...

Pete

Also, if you haven't already gotten your copy, the current print edition (April 2018) of JP magazine is out with last year's event coverage by Traci Clark. Lots of great photos of the Willys that were there last year.

You can read the online version here.

Pete

Pete,

I have used the U-haul trailers b4 and like them. Not too expensive to rent and They have the surge brakes on them that work well. Thanks for all the info .:cool:

We've made a change to the event schedule for this year.

In year's past we have all met at Zax Pizza in downtown Moab on Friday for the kick-off of the event. As the event has grown, we have outgrown Zax too. The only area big enough for our group at Zax is their outside dining, and it is very noisy on the main street below. There isn't any parking there for the many Willys that show up, so everyone scatters back to their hotels rooms after getting a slice of pizza and their t-shirt because there isn't anywhere to be a group...

Last year we moved the "home base" for the event from the Old City Park to the Red Cliffs Lodge for Saturday's breakfast, trail ride departure point, and BBQ dinner. The Facility at the Red Cliffs Lodge is really nice, and worked great for a gathering place to "circle the wagons" so to speak, and to hang out and check out all the Willys parked in the grass along the bank of the Colorado River.

This year we have decided to do the Meet and Greet at the Red Cliffs Lodge too, as a way to extend the feel of the event and have a place to park and relax away from the bustle of downtown Moab. We will be doing a no-host buffet dinner that you can sign up for when you register for the event, and a bonfire afterward (we have to have a head count and minimum number ahead of time for the dinner).

It is a beautiful spot and we are hoping everyone will take part in the dinner, bonfire, and stick around to chat about all things Willys on Friday evening. If you are staying at the lodge, you are all set for Saturday morning too. :beer:

12328_Moab.jpg

lodge4.jpg

3_lodge.jpg

009-moab-willys-rally.jpg

There are still rooms available that we have blocked out for the Rally, if you'd like to stay at Red Cliffs Lodge. The block of rooms will be released soon though, so get 'em while you can!

Pete

Target Identified: Moab Willys Rally

After seeing the link for the rally posted in our build thread I asked Jack yesterday if it was something he'd be interested in. I know he has all of his High School buds to go wheeling with when he gets his project on the road full time, so I wondered how he'd take to hanging out with even more of us "previous generation" types. His response was,

"I love to be with other people who are into these things! I mean, they're [my friends] are all into four-wheeling and stuff, but these things are just so cool! I'd really like go to hang out with some people who are into them and see what everybody else is doing."

So there we have it. We now have reservations at Red Cliffs Lodge for May 18th-20th and Jack says the truck will be ready.

It'll be about a 6-1/2 hour drive from here. I would have liked to hook up in Frisco for the convoy on the way as originally suggested, but I'll be getting off from work at 4AM on the 18th. I'll go home, grab a few hours of shut-eye, and we'll leave in time to get there for the Meet and Greet.

Thanks all.
' looking forward to being there.

Last edited:
So there we have it. We now have reservations at Red Cliffs Lodge for May 18th-20th and Jack says the truck will be ready.

Thanks all.
' looking forward to being there.

Excellent John! I think you guys are going to gave a blast. [emoji106]

Pete

Hi John. Hey, that is GREAT NEWS that you guys are going to MOAB in May! I'm busting hump to get Floyd Ready. He probably won't be Done DONE, but He'll be Ready. I've got reservations at Apache for 18, 19, & 20th. So are you guys gonna Go on the Sunday Trail Ride and go back to Colorado on Monday? That's what I'm planning on doing. I'd like to get hooked up with other Colorado OWF Guys too to Convoy to Moab. Maybe some of them will see this and we all can try to figure it all out. I'm looking Forward to Meeting You & Jack! John (aka: Pivnic)

I have a big punch list to get done on my Wagon, but I'm going to try to make it. I'll have a better idea in a month if I think it's doable. If anyone else on the Western Slope is going I'd be interested in meeting up to caravan.

we'll leave in time to get there for the Meet and Greet.

John,

The event officially kicks off at 5PM at Red Cliffs. We'll have everyone check in, hand out t-shirts and goodie bags, and then start the buffet dinner. After dinner, we'll carry on into the evening with a bonfire till whenever.

The event schedule is on the www.willysrally.com website, or click here.

The rally officially ends after the Sunday morning coffee and donuts farewell. Many folks have to travel home on Sunday, but some of us hang around on Sunday and break up into smaller groups to do another trail ride after coffee and donuts.
Because the Sunday run isn't really part of the event, and because we will be in small groups, we can do trails with more "features",as our trail boss likes to say, around the Moab area. Food for thought...

Pete

Ok folks, I'm starting this off and asking, SO WHO IS GOING to be on the road trip to Moab?

I have been reading members postings for many months and have not seen anyone mentioning talking about finishing up their rig in time to attend.
If your wrenching and not telling us, we understand, but please let us know so we can offer encouragement.

Recap; Last year I attended the Rally, sans my 57 pickup because my "To Do List" was too big. I was bummed out.

Then, I was encouraged by my friend Dan, "Willys001, to still attend as I also had lodging expense locked in and I was on the hook for the expenses. That was a learning lesson.

I was so happy to attend and meet all the wonderful OWF Members and ride with Steve in his MB open top flat fender. Thanks again Steve.

This is My Plan, subject to change. Ha. Ha.
I have my lodging booked at Expedition Lodge. Did that last month in Dec.

I'll leaving Denver on Wed May 16th in the afternoon and going up to our family house in Breckenridge, Co. to stay overnight.
The plan is to meet anyone heading west on I-70 in Frisco, Co. and hoping we will have a Convoy of Willys going to Moab.

I'm trying to leave Frisco, Co. early Thursday Morning to be in Moab before noon time. That's 284 miles and 2:47 minutes driving time.
I would like to meet with any OWF Members who will be in town and go for a trail run. Cheers, Thomas

Hello Thomas. Time is getting closer to the OWF MOAB Rally in May. I've been wanting to respond to your email here about "Who is Going to Moab"... I've been working overtime getting my Truck (Floyd) ready and I believe that Floyd WILL BE READY To ROLL for Moab. Are your plans still SET for leaving Denver on Wednesday? I am heading out to Moab Early on Friday. May 18th and coming back to Colorado on Monday. I was wondering if you have changed your plan or if there are any other Colorado OWF Members going to the OWF Moab Rally and Leaving on Friday, May 18th so we can Convoy to Moab together?? If anyone else is planning to go and are leaving on Friday, May 18th, please respond on this Thread or contact me at my email at: pivnic_43@yahoo.com. Thanks, John (aka: Pivnic)

Back