Moab 2018: 9th Annual Willys Overland Rally

FYI, there are still 7 rooms blocked out for the Rally, at the Red Cliffs Lodge. These will be released to the public on the 15th of April, so if you are wanting a room at the Red Cliffs, grab it while you can!

Pete

Today is the last day to register for the Willys Rally in Moab! If you haven't already registered, you have till the end of the day to get it done... You'll be glad you did!

[video=youtube;zljErL4aJBU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zljErL4aJBU&t=81s&index=3&list=PLg9JiekSBQ cDmt24N8XtORlHz3gBqp3MZ[/video]

Pete

My update.

I'm back...

On Jan. 6th.2018 I started this thread and in doing so it gave me motivation to get my truck ready for Moab.

It worked. Yeppy Skippy. :cheers:

I've had my nose to the grindstone checking off items on my "to do list".

It has been challenging. But when you have a deadline for a Moab Willys Rally it is a real motivator.

Today is a very big milestone day for my truck and myself.

Today I flat towed my truck across town to have the dual exhaust system installed.

It was very hard to leave my truck in the exhaust shop after having spent 3 years working away on my vision.

Just like John Pivnic had said about starting Floyd at the exhaust shop that it would be so very LOUD.
I experienced the same when pulling my truck into the shop and up onto the lift rack. Sure gets you excited.
The shop guys said they are use to it being LOUD but they will be fixing that.

It will not be done today I was told, as they only pulled into the shop about 1pm.
My truck will be wondering why it is locked up in a strange garage tonight. Hm...HA.

I bought two Thrush mufflers myself and gave them to the shop to install.

Like it has been said, I will still have some details to attend to in the cab after the Rally, but it will be ready enough.

Guess I should tell you what I'm driving.

My 57 pickup, Flame Red, custom steel flatbed full width to almost cover the custom rear fenders w/wooden rails.
Spare tire mounted center of flatbed below back window.

The other two fellows will be in wagons.

We three will be leaving Breckenridge, Co Thursday Morning May 17th.
We will be rolling into Moab early Thursday afternoon.

See you in Moab along the river. ;)
That's all for now.
Cheers, Thomas

Last edited:
I'm back...

On Jan. 6th.2018 I started this thread and in doing so it gave me motivation to get my truck ready for Moab.

See you in Moab along the river. ;)
That's all for now.
Cheers, Thomas

Excellent!

Pete

Good News Thomas! I am Confident that Floyd will be ready for the Moab Trip. We will See You in Moab on Friday. Are you staying at the Red Cliffs Lodge? When are you Going back to Denver? Are you staying in Moab for the "Unofficial" Sunday Trail Ride? I will be headed back to Conifer on Monday. If you are staying over on Sunday, we can Ride back together. Pivnic

I'm back...

Cheers, Thomas
Way to stick to it. See you in Moab.

Good News Thomas! I am Confident that Floyd will be ready for the Moab Trip. Pivnic
Glad to hear that Floyd will be returning to Moab. It will be good to see you again.

Steve

Good News Thomas! I am Confident that Floyd will be ready for the Moab Trip. We will See You in Moab on Friday. Are you staying at the Red Cliffs Lodge? When are you Going back to Denver? Are you staying in Moab for the "Unofficial" Sunday Trail Ride? I will be headed back to Conifer on Monday. If you are staying over on Sunday, we can Ride back together. Pivnic

Hello again John, I will be staying in town at the Apache. The other 2 fellows with Willys wagons are also staying in town north city center.

We 3 are joining the Sunday Trail ride last I heard. I for sure.

To answer your question about checking out Monday. YES, we 3 will be loading up and head out sometime Monday morning.

The other 2 fellows have said they will be returning east on I-70 Monday morning.
I will scrap Monday trail ride and we can form a Willys mini caravan.

One fellow is going back to Laramie, Wy.
One to Golden, Co.
I will go to Breckenridge and stay overnight.

See you in Moab.

I am looking forward to Sunday's run. Planning on going to Canyonlands afterwords on Monday to do Elephant Hill and camp at Horehoof then out through Beef Basin. The other two who were to join me can't make it. Anyone interested? Can fit under my permit. About 75 miles South of Moab. I like the area. Elephant Hill is on the rough side as they say is Bobby's Hole (never tried it). Don't think anything is worse than last year's Hell's Revenge. let me know.

Hello again John, I will be staying in town at the Apache. The other 2 fellows with Willys wagons are also staying in town north city center. We 3 are joining the Sunday Trail ride last I heard. I for sure.
To answer your question about checking out Monday. YES, we 3 will be loading up and head out sometime Monday morning. The other 2 fellows have said they will be returning east on I-70 Monday morning. I will scrap Monday trail ride and we can form a Willys mini caravan.
One fellow is going back to Laramie, Wy.
One to Golden, Co. I will go to Breckenridge and stay overnight. See you in Moab.

Hi Thomas. A friend of mine and I are planning to also do the "Unofficial Sunday Trail Ride" and will head back to Conifer on Monday morning after breakfast. Sounds like a good plan to all Convoy Back to Denver Together. SEE YOU IN MOAB on Friday. We'll find each other I'm Sure! Pivnic

Glad to hear that Floyd will be returning to Moab. It will be good to see you again. Steve
Likewise Steve! You may not recognize Floyd! Hahaha... We will Find Each Other in Moab I'm Sure. I can't wait! Are you staying for the Sunday Unofficial Trail Ride? I will be there for that and leaving on Monday. See ya Soon! Pivnic

Planning on going to Canyonlands afterwords on Monday to do Elephant Hill

Steve,
Here's a long clip over the hood of my wagon, coming out of Devil's Kitchen campground and taking the exit loop through Silver Stairs and out over Elephant Hill. I think it is easier to go in, but there are a few sections that are pretty rough. Climbing the backside of Elephant Hill was IMHO the limit of what my stock wagon is capable of...

[video=youtube;jQbl_5FlGKM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQbl_5FlGKM&t=0s&index=27&list=PLg9JiekSBQ cDmt24N8XtORlHz3gBqp3MZ[/video]

Here's a clip of Joseph's wagon going the other way, climbing up Elephant hill from the parking lot, and going through a couple of the tougher sections on the way in.

[video=youtube;B0QhplHr5xc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0QhplHr5xc&t=106s&index=34&list=PLg9JiekS BQcAoLWyTmPJVaxDAHSaj-o2M[/video]

Pete

Likewise Steve! You may not recognize Floyd! Hahaha... We will Find Each Other in Moab I'm Sure. I can't wait! Are you staying for the Sunday Unofficial Trail Ride? I will be there for that and leaving on Monday. See ya Soon! Pivnic

You might not recognize Hoot either, it went under the knife too. Were staying at the Apache as always and will be departing Monday. I'm looking forward to Sundays trail ride. See you soon.

25887646417_a0402c1969_c.jpg
[/url]20180309_123115 by Sparky Powers, on Flickr[/IMG]

:cheers:
I'm busy as a wood chuck chucking wood.
Busy as a beaver snacking on an Aspen tree.

You will find the following hard to believe. Talk about burning the candle at both ends....I'm a bad boy....

3 years ago I bought my truck in Montana. I received a clear Title.

I still don't have a new Colorado Title. Truck is not registered. Yet!!

Today I arranged Insurance
for my truck. Check it off the list.

Day after tomorrow I will be flat towing my truck across town to the State Patrol office, between the hours of 8am to Noon, for a "Certified VIN verification".

Now what did I do with those metal ID plates 3 years ago? Hmm..... No worries folks, little humor. There in the truck.

Once that is done I take the paper to the DMV with Insurance ID and then I will receive Temporary Title and Temporary plate.

This is cutting it close. Hopefully before beer o'clock Friday I'll be all smiles and relieved.

I'll follow up when the deed is done.

Are you ready to hit the trails? I 'am.

MOAB WILLYS RALLY or BUST.

Cheers, later.

Last edited:
Hi Thomas. So to make sure that I have this right... You are going to head out to Moab on Thursday, May 17th? If so, I'll see you on Friday as We'll be leaving of Friday Morning. Let me know if you If you switch and go out on Friday, as then we can all head out together. Pivnic

You might not recognize Hoot either, it went under the knife too. Were staying at the Apache as always and will be departing Monday. I'm looking forward to Sundays trail ride. See you soon.

25887646417_a0402c1969_c.jpg
[/url]20180309_123115 by Sparky Powers, on Flickr[/IMG]

Hi Steve. Yeah, I saw your Beautiful Wagon on a prior post. Sweet! I'm staying at the Red Cliff Lodge. I'll give you a clue: Floyd is Blue with a White Roof. We'll Find each other on Friday! I can't wait! Pivnic

Hello Pete. What's up with the "New Format" of the Forum Posts. I was looking and responding to the "New Posts". After I Responded and posted on the Moab Post and hit enter to post it, that Moab Post is No Longer in the "New Posts". My Response and Post DOES come up if you click on "What's New". but Does Not come up with "New Posts". It always came up on "New Posts", but now it only goes to "What's New". That doesn't seem correct to me. Is this a Bug in the new Format? Thanks, Pivnic

Last edited:
Hello John. yes, we are leaving Breckenridge Thursday morning for Moab.

We decided a couple months ago that we would like to decompress and break up the trip.

One of the fellows will be driving his pickup with his wagon on trailer from Laramie, Wy.
He is avoiding I-25 and driving directly south through Walden, Craig, Silverthorne to Breck.

Dan, Willys001 and I will be using tow dollys.

My 2014 Jeep GC has a diesel engine, 6speed trans. and I don't want to have any trouble with the extra weight of a trailer.

We have a desire to get in some extra trail time in. We have lodging booked in town.

FYI: My neighbor in Breck has a very nice Jeepster. He and wife wanted to go to the Willys Rally but have other family commitments.

See your Friday. :cheers:

Last edited:
Hello Pete. What's up with the "New Format" of the Forum Posts. I was looking and responding to the "New Posts". After I Responded and posted on the Moab Post and hit enter to post it, that Moab Post is No Longer in the "New Posts". My Response and Post DOES come up if you click on "What's New". but Does Not come up with "New Posts". It always came up on "New Posts", but now it only goes to "What's New". That doesn't seem correct to me. Is this a Bug in the new Format? Thanks, Pivnic

It's possible that something minor changed in the software during the last update last week, but I haven't made any changes to any settings that I have control over...

Pete

Friday update.

I did the deed today.

I'm legal.

Out of state Title Vin number was verified. Don't ask me about the hassle.

Went to DMV this afternoon with the vin paperwork.

I presented the old title, vin verification paper, Insurance paper, and the bill of sale when I bought it 3 years ago.

I paid, they issued plates for my Willys truck.

I walked out without any expression on my face. What a relief to have that behind me.

I have 11 days to wrap up small details before hitting the asphalt for Moab. Just what I need.

Cheers fellow Old Willys Forum Members. :cool:

Back