Moab 2018: 9th Annual Willys Overland Rally

John,

The cut off date for registration for the Rally is May 1st, if you want the shirt and Friday buffet. However, the sooner the better because we are trying to keep tabs on the head count for Red Cliffs Lodge meal planning.
If you don't already have a room reserved, you should get that done asap, and then cancel if you decide you aren't coming... Pete

Thanks for the Info Pete. I've got a room at the Red Cliff Lodge. I'm just hoping that I can get Floyd 'Done' in time! It's looks promissing... I will register for the Rally etc as soon as I can. Pivnic

Crazy...maybe. Memories for a lifetime. Can't wait to see you all there.

Arches National Park. Taken at Willys Rally 5
12356513524_f4c50b6415_c.jpg
[/URL]IMAG0392 by Sparky Powers, on Flickr[/IMG]

Understand from my brother, the rig in the picture has gone under and extreme renovation. Can’t wait to see it.
Dan

I'm new to the Rally. I see a lot of information regarding lodging but does anyone stay in the numerous campgrounds in the area? Does anyone know what the first-come-first-served availability of campsites might be? Doesn't look like you can reserve any of them. I know from what I've read that the hotels book up quick with all the events in May. We have a little Jeep trailer with a roof top tent etc that I just finished building and I would love to use it. Also, I see some discussion about meeting up to caravan to the Rally. In case it can be worked out, I will most likely leave very early Friday morning from home in the mountains west of Colorado Springs and travel through Gunnison and Montrose up to I-70 at Grand Junction.
VJ AB.jpg

I'm new to the Rally. I see a lot of information regarding lodging but does anyone stay in the numerous campgrounds in the area? Does anyone know what the first-come-first-served availability of campsites might be? Doesn't look like you can reserve any of them. I know from what I've read that the hotels book up quick with all the events in May. We have a little Jeep trailer with a roof top tent etc that I just finished building and I would love to use it. Also, I see some discussion about meeting up to caravan to the Rally. In case it can be worked out, I will most likely leave very early Friday morning from home in the mountains west of Colorado Springs and travel through Gunnison and Montrose up to I-70 at Grand Junction.
View attachment 44305

Mike,

I haven't used any of the nearby camping spots in the past, so I'm not sure what the odds are of finding a spot. The spots that you can see from the road between Moab and RedCliffs along the river always look full though. I would imagine that the farther out you get, the easier it is to find something. There is are places like the KOA that have spaces too...

It might be worth calling the BLM about the camping availability, and what to expect. Here's a link with some info, if you don't already have it: http://www.discovermoab.com/campgrounds.htm

Looking forward to seeing your Jeepster in Moab.

Pete

Understand from my brother, the rig in the picture has gone under and extreme renovation. Can’t wait to see it.
Dan
Hey Dan, what a coincidence, your brother living across the street from me. I asked him if he would like to ride shotgun to Moab with us. No answer yet. Here's a teaser shot. See you soon.
40547716271_37e56b345b_c.jpg
[/url]20180222_172533 by Sparky Powers, on Flickr[/IMG]

View attachment 44305
Mike, I'm digging the Jeepster. I've just started the build of a 48 Jeepster 4wd for my wife. Can't wait to meet you and check out your ride. As for camping we have stayed at the KOA at a previous Moab Rally. Nice facility and you can make reservations.

Steve

Hello Pete,
This will be our first time to Moab. I will need to trailer my '54 truck, as it gets only 7 mpg which causes me to fill up every 70 miles or so. (Not sure if there is enough gas stations along the route I am taken. hahaha)
Question: Are there places to park a trailers, as well as the vehicle hauling the trailer out of the way of the event?
Thanks,
AlanDSC_0060.jpg

Hello Pete,
This will be our first time to Moab. I will need to trailer my '54 truck, as it gets only 7 mpg which causes me to fill up every 70 miles or so. (Not sure if there is enough gas stations along the route I am taken. hahaha)
Question: Are there places to park a trailers, as well as the vehicle hauling the trailer out of the way of the event?
Thanks,
AlanView attachment 44409

Alan,

The Redcliffs Lodge has a large parking area, so parking your tow rig with trailer should be no problem.

redcliffss.jpg

Pete

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there is (at least there was) a campground at the south end of town. Had reservations there in April 2010, which unknown to me at the time was the Easter Jeep Safari. Was snowing. Mud all over. Kept going and went to Monument Valley. At the time the cost was (I think) about $20. Should be fine mid-June.

Hey Dan, what a coincidence, your brother living across the street from me. I asked him if he would like to ride shotgun to Moab with us. No answer yet. Here's a teaser shot. See you soon.
40547716271_37e56b345b_c.jpg
[/URL]20180222_172533 by Sparky Powers, on Flickr[/IMG]

Mike, I'm digging the Jeepster. I've just started the build of a 48 Jeepster 4wd for my wife. Can't wait to meet you and check out your ride. As for camping we have stayed at the KOA at a previous Moab Rally. Nice facility and you can make reservations.

Steve
You have done a remarkable job on your rig. I’ll see if I can't encourager my brother to tag along.

I just booked at Moab Valley RV. Look forward to seeing you all there.

Hi Mike. Are you interested in joining our Willys Convoy to Moab? We are meeting at the Walmart in Evergreen off I-70 on Friday Morning May 18th. Let me know. John (aka: Pivnic)

John, I'll have to see you all when we get there. My current plan is to leave Thursday and take the southern route through Gunnison and Montrose and come up into Moab from the south. No I-70 at all. Daisy likes the pace of two lane highways. Thanks for the invite though.

John, I'll have to see you all when we get there. My current plan is to leave Thursday and take the southern route through Gunnison and Montrose and come up into Moab from the south. No I-70 at all. Daisy likes the pace of two lane highways. Thanks for the invite though.

Okay... We'll see you in Moab then! I don't think it will be too hard to find either one of us out there! Looking forward to meeting you and checking out your rig. Pivnic

Just throwing this out there. I might have an extra room for the weekend at The Apache. If anyone is interested let me know. I will have a solid answer if it will be available soon.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I had to step away for a min. I am back, but I am unfortunately out of vacation time and will not be able to make the event again this year. BUt next year...

anyways. I have two rooms with 2 beds in each reserved at the Apache. I will hold on to them a while longer in case someone here wants them. Let me know.

I had to step away for a min. I am back, but I am unfortunately out of vacation time and will not be able to make the event again this year. BUt next year...

anyways. I have two rooms with 2 beds in each reserved at the Apache. I will hold on to them a while longer in case someone here wants them. Let me know.

Sorry to hear you won't be able to make it this year Bryce, but there's always next year!

Pete

Can't wait for the blue sky and red dirt. The rally is just a few short weeks away... If you are planning to come to Moab, have you registered? Deadline for registration to get the event t-shirt is April 15th...

redrockwillys.jpg

There are already over 65 people registered, bringing around 35 Willys of all kinds. This year will be the biggest and best yet!

Casey has been pounding the pavement for awesome raffle items from major vendors, this year's raffle will be awesome.
And, the Red Cliffs Lodge venue for Friday and Saturday nights will be great with all the Willys circled in the grass around good food and a bonfire on the river.

Looking forward to seeing new faces and old friends in Moab.

Pete

Check out this year’s Willys Rally shirt graphic, designed by Joseph Anderson.

Shirt back:
ShirtBackRev4.jpg

Shirt pocket, beanie and hat logo:
StickerRev3.jpg

If you are registered for the event, a t-shirt is included with your registration.

The graphic will also be printed on long sleeve t-shirts, tank tops, beanie hats, flexfit hats, and nice jackets that can be ordered online.

The deadline for ordering this stuff to be delivered to Moab is May 1st. If you are not attending, you can order these items to be shipped as well.

Check out all the options at: http://www.willysrally.com/Apparel/apparel.html

Pete

Back