Oct 20, 2009
Roseburg OR
First Name
Denny
Willys Model
  1. Jeepster
Willys Year:
  1. 1950
The heater core on my '53 Aero Falcon sprung a leak. The service manual doesn't show how to replace it. Can someone who's done it give advice on how to go about it? Looks like the whole process can be done under the hood, unlike most other cars - ? Any help appreciated.

I have a '53 Aero Ace which was already partially disassembled when I got it. The dash is still in it but the engine assembly and all the heater came on a pallet of parts indicating the heater assembly came from under the hood. That's what I can tell you about removal. Just yell if you need some of the parts.

The top half of the sheet metal box removes, exposing the heater core & retaining straps. Remove the hoses, 3 sheet metal screws on either side of the heater box, midget hands & a right angle screwdriver needed. Remove screws (3?) and 2 nuts around the top at the firewall. Let the box tilt slightly to clear the top studs, then brace the heater box from below since 2 screws are still in the bottom half, screwed from the inside of the car, under the grill & floor mat. Work the top half off the bottom half, probably tight, and your core &core straps will be readily accessible. Heater core is cell type, so a re-core will likely be your only option. Be careful with the box to firewall rubber gasket.

Back