Likes Likes:  3

Thread: 1955 Bermuda Hardtop

First Name
    Brian
    Year
    Model
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb 1955 Bermuda Hardtop

After using a three-legged puller, and hammering on the rear drums, they finally came off. I never want to go through that again, so I found a Ford Maverick rear end, and will be going to get that for an eventual install! I am also interested in installing the AMC type front spindles, and converting to discs, and lowering the car for that '50's custom look.20171126_122431.jpg I want to be able to
    drive the car and maintain it, without searching for months to find parts.

After getting under this car, I have also noticed it has holes in the rockers,, rear frame (by the bumper brackets and leaf spring mount areas), in the frame rails behind the front tires, and the body door gaps change when you jack it up from one end or the other! i am sure this is due to the floor and frame holes. The only part that can be easily patched and is soild, is the trunk floor. This makes me question if I shouldn't go Gasser, straight front axle, or gut the floors, and do the Pro Street new frame, V-8, etc. route? Lol. I don't have all of the Bermuda only items to do a restoration either (missing the "Bermuda" emblems, rear trunk large medallion like the overpriced one on eBay, and the Bermuda only headlight trim rings).

First Name
    Austin
    Year
    Model
    Pickup
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 55Bermuda View Post
    After using a three-legged puller, and hammering on the rear drums, they finally came off. I never want to go through that again, so I found a Ford Maverick rear end, and will be going to get that for an eventual install! I am also interested in installing the AMC type front spindles, and converting to discs, and lowering the car for that '50's custom look.20171126_122431.jpg I want to be able to
    drive the car and maintain it, without searching for months to find parts.

After getting under this car, I have also noticed it has holes in the rockers,, rear frame (by the bumper brackets and leaf spring mount areas), in the frame rails behind the front tires, and the body door gaps change when you jack it up from one end or the other! i am sure this is due to the floor and frame holes. The only part that can be easily patched and is soild, is the trunk floor. This makes me question if I shouldn't go Gasser, straight front axle, or gut the floors, and do the Pro Street new frame, V-8, etc. route? Lol. I don't have all of the Bermuda only items to do a restoration either (missing the "Bermuda" emblems, rear trunk large medallion like the overpriced one on eBay, and the Bermuda only headlight trim rings).
    Great project! I'm a sucker for originality so my vote would be try and repair what is needed and drive it. I've never seen an Aero in person but a colleague of mine supposedly has one I've been trying to snag for a few years... What motor is in it?
    "A little character makes a lot of personality"

Mechanic by trade, teacher by profession, parts salesman to keep the Willys moving...

First Name
    Brian
    Year
    Model
    Post Thanks / Like
    It has the 226 Super Hurricane 6 with a 2 speed auto. I still think it would be cool to keep that, and add the Kaiser supercharger setup! Parts for this car are VERY hard to find and expensive. I have enough trim parts, etc. for a mild custom, but not a restoration.

First Name
    Austin
    Year
    Model
    Pickup
    Post Thanks / Like
    The super chargers are still out there and accessible iirc. A mild custom is fine, as my signature says, a little character makes a lot of personality.
    "A little character makes a lot of personality"

Mechanic by trade, teacher by profession, parts salesman to keep the Willys moving...

5. Likes 55Bermuda liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Probably the number of original Aero Bermuda Willys existing can be counted on your fingers and toes. My hope is you will get it to driver quality, enjoy all the looks you'll get, and make it better as you go. We had a nicely restored '55 Bermuda shown at Stowe, VT. in August, watched it go for AACA honors at Hershey in Oct. , and then it was invited to the Annual AACA National Awards Ceremony at Philly this Feb. This is by invitation only for the best of the best. Wish I knew how to post a pix because I have several. This car is a Knockout!!

First Name
    Brian
    Year
    Model
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your reply. Since I am missing some key Bermuda only parts, I plan on a mild custom, but still using all the parts I do have, to keep it's identity! It will go way above driver quality, with all the rust fixed with new metal, and a nice paint job.

Post Thanks / Like

1955 Bermuda Pix

I may have figured out how to get pix on here. The Red & White Bermuda was taken at Stowe, VT August 2017. The Green and White was at Hershey Oct. 2016.
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. Likes Tilatobawillys, Willymakit liked this post