Dec 8, 2017
Seneca Lake Oh.
First Name
Mathew
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1949
When I was in my early 20's my wife and I lived on a farm with a lane about 400 yrds long and all uphill going out. We loved it till it came to heavy snow cause the lane was cut in about 2 ft. below the hay fields on either side. When it drifted out of those fields it would be 3 ft deep in places. Ended up buying a 57 Willys wagon w 2 speed t.c and warn hubs. It had a 6 cyl Chevy engine. That was 1970 and I eventually got it bellied out and tore the tranny up trying to rock it out. When I retired in 09 all was great but then I started to look for more to do than hunt, fish and honey do. My plan was to get another wagon but when I started looking I fell in love with the trucks. After 6 to 8 months of looking I finally found one near Canton Oh. 2 flat tires, motor locked up, no gas tank, no wireing or brake lines, bed 80% junk. The p.o.had thrown a sheet of 1/8 in steel over the rusty bed and both nearly disintegrated. There is no way this project will ever be a showtruck but Im commited to make it a solid truck. Maybe not beautiful, but solid. So far I have striped off the bed, the side skirts, the grill and front fenders. The head and pistons have been removed and right now Im in the process of pulling the tranny, t c. and bellhousing. Reason for pulling tranny is to make room for welding underneath when replacing the floors.20170630_092827.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Matthew. Sounds like a great find. Doesn't matter what it looks like,we love pictures! Good luck with your resurrection!

Another Midwest revival, I LOVE it! Welcome Mathew and know yours isn't the only non-show truck being worked on, there's several of us that are just making them 'street worthy'...

Austin

"A little character makes a lot of personality"

The thing about a show truck is, it's a show truck. Real trucks are used and loved the way a truck be.

Welcome from South Carolina Mathew. Your truck sounds a lot like my 59 I saved from the crusher in a junk yard. Mine will never be a show truck either but I I've been driving it some lately and that means I have come a long way. Good luck with your build and post lots of pics.

A Christmas Jeep

Nothing to do with the Willys but my wife drove her Christmas present home this afternoon. Brand new Jeep Wrangler, 2018. Black hardtop over white 2 door. Pretty sweet but aint got nuttin on my 49 pu.

It' a JK, and to be truthful I don't know what that designation is. I haven't spent any time looking at new jeeps. Like I said, it' my wife' car and while I really like it I don't know much about it.

It' a JK, and Bill (dealer) originally said there were no 2018 out yet. After my wife told him what she was looking for, he called and said he found 2 2018. Go figure.

Jeep will have one year of overlap with the JK and JL - 2018. They are spending 2018 to prepare for the 2019 Scrambler. When the 2019 Scrambler starts production, the JK will end. Or that’s my understanding anyway.

I believe production of the JK has already ended as they gear up for the new JLs. They are selling off remaining stock as 2018s.
2018 should also see the new JL, so this one year will have two Wrangler models available.

Then the Scrambler in 2019. So far, Jeep forums are calling it the JT, but I don't know if Chrysler has given it a model designation yet.

Welcome from Denver.

My Dad had a Wagon nut I also fell in love with my 57 pickup.

Cheers, Thomas :cheers:

Back