Oct 9, 2017
Medina, Ohio
First Name
Don
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1948
I am totally confused what this set-up is supposed to look like, in a stock configuration on a '48 pickup 134 Go-Devil.

On my truck, all this stuff was all missing, even the carb was long gone. I have now found and bought a good Carter WO 636S carb. And I got an original oil bath air cleaner and the inner fender brackets from Harry at Midwest Willys (came with a mouse nest included, no extra charge!). And he sent me a 90 degree "Carburetor Air Horn" that sits on top of the carb (is there supposed to be a clamp(s) on that?) But I need all the various pieces in between.

I am studying the Kaiser Willys catalog, because it has some pictures, but they are making it worse, not better. Apparently, there is supposed to be a steel pipe section, which has a small outlet for a hose to run to the oil filler tube. And a section of black flex hose that runs from this steel pipe to the air cleaner? Is there a second piece of flex that goes from the air horn 90 degree piece over to that steel pipe? Or does steel pipe directly meet the air horn? Where do the clamps go, which joints?

Does anybody have a picture of what all this is supposed to look like, how it's set up? Or in a perfect world, an exploded view of the various parts involved?

Last edited:
OK, so nobody is comfortable being sure about this question, or doesn't have a photo available. I just went ahead and bought one of each that I might need, based mostly on the following two photos from the internet, which seem to be the closest thing to "stock" that I can find. Plus discussing it all with the Kaiser Willys guys.

A clamp where the carb meets the Air Horn - a very short rubber hose from the air horn to the Steel Pipe piece across the Head - then the steel pipe section - then a longer stretch of black hose (with a clamp at both ends) over to the air cleaner attachment. The trucks have a slightly different set-up than a CJ, because the CJ attaches the air cleaner to the firewall, whereas the truck has it mounted farther away on the inner fender. The real problem has been figuring out what is "right" - because you see a hundred different variations and different set-ups out there. I'm going with it until somebody shows me it's wrong. Hope I'm right!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks, Dan. I searched around in there and didn't come up with anything that showed me this area. But I could have missed it, too. I'm reasonably confident of the layout as per the above photos at this point...

Back