Seguin, Texas
First Name
Robert
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1952
Good morning,

Just joined up after a couple of years of lurking :)
Bought my son a 51 Willys Pickup and are getting it ready to be his first daily driver.
Will be a 4.3 vortec motor with 700R4 - hopefully with power steering and power disc/drum brakes.

Thank you all for the info I have gathered so far.

Good morning,

Bought my son a 51 Willys Pickup and are getting it ready to be his first daily driver.
Will be a 4.3 vortec motor with 700R4 - hopefully with power steering and power disc/drum brakes.

Are you doing a frame change or installing all that on original frame?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am thinking stock frame - most of the frame swaps I have seen are pretty fab intensive, I am a fairly good mechanic, but do not fabricate so well.

I am thinking stock frame - most of the frame swaps I have seen are pretty fab intensive, I am a fairly good mechanic, but do not fabricate so well.

I’m doing a frame swap with a 94 Chevy 1500. Same wheel base and looking at it quickly it seems like other than making new body mounts, it is easier. I’m in same boat as you. Pivnic did same swap with no moving of engine and not having to do cutting into firewall. He is a great source of information.

Good morning,

Hey Texas here to. I got a 53 on a k20 maybe we can swoop notes

I just thought about this - I have an 89 Chevy 1500 long bed I could cut down to short bed, and use that chassis...as long as it isn't too fabrication intensive. I PM'd Pivnic- thanks for the thought!

I just thought about this - I have an 89 Chevy 1500 long bed I could cut down to short bed, and use that chassis...as long as it isn't too fabrication intensive. I PM'd Pivnic- thanks for the thought!

Don’t forget that you need the wheel base to be similar or you might have to chop frame

I have already committed ;) - I am using the Chevrolet frame and complete driveline - so frame cutting I will be.
Wish me luck and Thanks to everyone for welcoming me aboard.

Don't let the frame cutting concern you too much. I did a 47 dodge pickup transplanted onto a Dakota chassis. I removed about 12 inches from the frame and moved the 3.9L v6 back about 6 inches. Did a lot of head scratching before I got it finished. The 47 Dodge was my first attempt at a project of this scale. If you measure carefully and be sure before you cut , all will go well.
I

Last edited:
Back