How do we save our forum content from tech terds?

cfsweitzer

Gear Grinder
Nov 25, 2017
San Francisco
First Name
conor
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1951
Im new and don't know much... As I have started to get my feet wet I have been dismayed by the Cardomain and Photobucket policy changes which have totally destroyed the content people have spent SOO much time crafting. Maybe this has been talked about, maybe its happened with other hosts too? Just as someone trying to read builds its incredibly frustrating, but I cant begin to imagine the level of pissed off I would rise to if this happened to my personal archive or build, WTF?

So, starting what I hope to be a pretty lengthy thread documenting a complete build, whats a guy to do to make sure its safe? Is this a topic thats been discussed?

Thanks

So, starting what I hope to be a pretty lengthy thread documenting a complete build, whats a guy to do to make sure its safe? Is this a topic thats been discussed? Thanks

I have always, when working with sites such as Holley, Inliners, Cardomain, Photobucket, and even OWF, considered that I assume a level of risk with regard to the safeguarding/preservation of content. Even with the best intentions, things can happen that are beyond control of the host site.

I have lost content, and it is frustrating, so I ensure that all my content is elsewhere.

I use MS Word to create all of my build content. When posting to my build I cut and paste from Word, then add photos. If you look at my thread, you'll see many photos referred to as Figure 1, Figure 2, etc.; that is because of how they are referenced in the parent document.

To protect the Word files, a daily backup of all home PCs is down by a local (in the basement) server. The second line of defense is a daily backup of my PC to a cloud-based server through a company called Carbonite.

When I have time, I intend to host my own site so that I do have control over how content is managed and secured.

I don't know how OWF operates but do suspect that its content is backed up and could be restored if necessary.

Perhaps one of our administrators with explain the process.

Great topic.

Bill,

Insert Image.pngDo you paste the photos directly into the reply area or what?

Text can be cut and pasted to the reply area but photos need to be uploaded.

After clicking the "Reply" button you will see an "Insert Image" icon (window frame with a tree in it) just to the right of the "Unlink" icon (globe with red X over a chain link).

The image at the right is the "insert Image" window that opens when you click on the "Insert Image" icon (red arrow pointing to it).

Click "From Computer" ff the image (photo) is on your PC.

Click "Choose File" and point to the photo's location on your PC. Allowed file types are jpg. jpeg. png. & gif.

Click "Upload File(s)" and the photo will be inserted as a thumbnail at the point your cursor was positioned just before you first clicked the "Insert Image" icon.

Double clicking on the inserted photos open an options window that allows you to position and resize the image.

Back