Syracuse New York
First Name
Lee
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1953
Hi
My name is Lee. I am in the process of buying a 1953 Willys pickup. I have always loved these -my Dad had one when I was a little boy. The first vehicle I bought at age 17 was a 64 CJ5. This truck is solid -it came from Nebraska and was a farm truck. Have not seen a decent one in Syracuse NY area in decades. The plan is just to make sure it is safe (brakes lights..) and NOT restore it - it is too cool with the effects of age and use! If I found one 40 years ago I would have ruined it with a new powertrain. Now I think of the F head Hurricane as an old friend. I may not get it home until spring -Syracuse winters make extra parking for other cars to free up the garage difficult - need room to plow snow!

Hi Lee, I know what you mean about "old friend". My first rig was an FC-150. Now I have a stock 43MB and 59 Wagon. All have their own personality. I will be upgrading the wagon, so it can be suitable for some trips, but it will be a mild build. Welcome to the fold!

Welcome From Colorado, Lee. Post some pictures of your Willys Trucks when you get a chance. Pivnic

Welcome from Western New York!
Post pics of your truck once you get it. Nice to have others in the area with Willys.

I will do that - may have pictures this week - I want to here it run and get it out of the garage it is in to check it out and take pictures before I write a check! I have heard these are prone to frame failure - where should I look once it is out where I can crawl under it?

you'll want to focus on the rear cab corners, and the frame right around that same area, from what I've been reading. There is an inner gusset on the frame there that tends to hold moisture and cause rot.

I am trying to learn how to navigate this forum -I am not a computer savvy person. in any event I met up with the owner and got the old girl fired up and moved out of the cramped space it was in so I could get a better look and some pictures. Bruised but solid! The Farmer was wise enough to support the box since it was being used with the side boards -the tailgate wont close with the side boards in place. I will lose the boards and the added supports -but other than that I will not touch the body.IMG_20171128_163840.jpgIMG_20171128_163851.jpgIMG_20171128_163906.jpgIMG_20171128_163921.jpgIMG_20171128_163940.jpg
I am now the owner!

Back