Apr 29, 2012
Flagstaff, AZ
First Name
Keith
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1961
I am trying to find a hood latch bolt and release handle for my hood. I have looked at some Ford and Chevy early assemblies that look like they could work. Has anybody found these parts and used them? At the moment I have nothing.

Hey Keith.....
Ok exactly what parts are you looking for?.....Hood hook and spring underside of hood?....IMG_0026.jpg or the hold down release lever mechanisim underside of grille? ....IMG_20170128_094752640.jpg.....or are you looking for both parts? i would start by calling up Montana Overland .com and see what they got
then Midwest Willys and Willys Truck Warehouse am sure one of those guys will have what you are looking for....with that bein said am rightly certain members here have hoards of parts and has what you need as well.

Larry

Thanks Larry. I need the hook and spring like you have in the first picture.

Keith, you can get them from Carl in Pennsylvania.

I should now because I needed the same items also and they arrived last week.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Keith....it appears that Thomas is correct .....Walcks has the Hood Hook and tension spring .......

http://walcks4wd.com/safety-hood-catch.html
http://walcks4wd.com/safety-hood-catch-spring.html

now what i dont see was the spring pin bolt and spring ....am betting you could use just bout anything out there and it would work looks like a universal fit item
not a Willys specific part ...but at least at $33.20 ..+..tax this gets you one of two items you need for your hood.

Hell,.... be Damned if you could not simply use a standard bolt with a spring on it ....find out the thread pitch and go to hardware store like Ace and see what they got ...(all kinds of weird oddball stuff you dont normally find in hardware stores...which is why i love going there...prices bit high though ) barring that,..i would go to junkyard and see if i could swipe one off late model something or other. or find bolt that works and take that with you to junkyard and see if you could match it up with something, or put a heavy spring on it and call it good.

Larry

Thanks guys! I don’t know how I missed those, I have typed in every name into my search engine that I could think of and never saw those. I would love to go to the junk yard for parts but they seem to be crushing all of the older vehicles. I have seen some on the internet that could fit. Here is one for a Camaro. http://www.autometaldirect.com/oer-65-81-hood-latch-pilot-bolt-p-5595.html

My inside hood hook was lost long ago and I just make sure the fender-to-hood hooks are attached.

Jimmy are talking about the the hood latch bolt and spring or the safety hood latch?

The hook latch and small recoil spring I just got from Carl.
I have extra large spring and bolt if you need it.
I'm in virginia. Where are you.

I am in Arizona. Is it actually a Willys spring and bolt? I can not even tell how long the bolt needs to be.

If the other person doesn't come through I think I have a used set (hook and spring if I can dig it up) that I would be willing to sell if you are interested.

Call me 757 719 0238 I'll send pix can't figure how to attach pix here

That's it Jimmy! Let me know what you want or trade if I have something you need.

Thanks Dale and Jim. I found a pin bolt and a spring today on an old Ford truck. It seems to fit perfectly. I will buy the latch handle from Walcks. Thanks again for your help.

Back