Drums... I don't think these are correct.

Hienkel429

Bigger Hammer
Sep 10, 2017
Louisville, KY
First Name
Ray
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1961
Hey all...

First thanks for the help with tire selection.

Second I do not believe the rear drums on this truck are correct. They are 11 inch drums but they do not seem to be deep enough. I measured the interior and they were around 2 1/4 inches but I don't believe they are the correct depth as far as drum back spacing if that even makes sense. They do not look like the front drums and there is a noticeable gap between the back plate and drum. In fact you can see the shoes in the gap so I know something is wrong. Thoughts?

Thanks... Ray

20171102_180134[1].jpg 20171119_193928[1].jpg 20171119_194009[1].jpg 20171119_193934[1].jpg

I have one type of drum on the back of my truck and another type on the frt. I do not know what the difference is other than maybe from two different factories? I'm curious to this answer as well...

Shoes and all have been inop for probably a decade or two and were the correct shoes. The drum seems not to have the inner 3/8 have any wear at all. The most janky brake plumbing swelled and made a plug. Because the right way to fix a blown flex hose is to clip it and feed it directly into a bare solid brake line with no fittings.

20170923_135059[1].jpg

Last edited:
Ray
Possibly you have station wagon hubs for the 44 rear on a Spicer 53 truck rear axle. The inner dia. of the tapered hub is bigger on the truck hubs, but the drums are the same. That would push out the drums in relation to the shoes.
diggerG

The wider diameter on the interior of the hub is 1.5 inches and narrow is 1.25 inches. So tapering from 1.5 inches on the inside to 1.25 on the outside and 3 inches deep. Looks like 10888-2 stamped on the drum itself. Drum interior depth for braking is 2.25 / 2.3. Hope this can get me closer.

The wider diameter on the interior of the hub is 1.5 inches and narrow is 1.25 inches. So tapering from 1.5 inches on the inside to 1.25 on the outside and 3 inches deep. Looks like 10888-2 stamped on the drum itself. Drum interior depth for braking is 2.25 / 2.3. Hope this can get me closer.

Ray
I just measured a truck hub and you have about the right dimensions. So that is not it. any chance that those drums have been replaced in the past? You may have the later Bendix brake drums instead of the older cam adjuster drums. Also Dan may be correct. The order of parts over the axle is:
1. shims, if any
2. retainer plate
3. backing plate
4. seal and dust cover.

Hey all... Greg and Dan.... thanks for the input.

Found a online break down of the axle better than the book and well...... Dan you were 100% correct. To top it all off oil drain holes were misaligned and the whole gambit had to be reordered. After all was said and reinstalled the drum, it sat as it should. So thank you all! On to my next not-so-smart question.

Ray

Hey all... Greg and Dan.... thanks for the input.

Found a online break down of the axle better than the book and well...... Dan you were 100% correct. To top it all off oil drain holes were misaligned and the whole gambit had to be reordered. After all was said and reinstalled the drum, it sat as it should. So thank you all! On to my next not-so-smart question.

Ray
So glad you figured it out.
Dan

Back