Oct 22, 2017
Tucson, Arizona
First Name
Michael
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1951
After looking around on the net a search for a larger fuel tank has come up empty. Does anyone know of a place where a larger tank for a '51 Wagon can be bought? I suppose one can be built, but $$$$$$$$.

You're pretty much stuck with the repops, the plastics or building one unless you want to try and rig up something from another vehicle... I have a wagon tank in my truck that a P.O. installed. They cut a hole for the filler neck 8inches in front of the factory hole. I'm still debating if I want to reuse it , get a new wagon tank or put a truck tank back in...

With the distances between places here in Arizona I don't like the idea of having a 13 gallon tank, especially with what I expect the fuel mileage will be with the basically stock Wagon.

There was an option for an auxiliary tank. It is mentioned somewhere here on OWF. IIRC it was 7 gal and mounted underneath behind the driver. Sounds like it was a pretty rare option, so details on it may be hard to find, but it's an idea

I got a stainless 48 gallon from rock valley. If you dont opt for a submersible pump it will be significantly cheaper. Heard radiator shop making them out of sheet aluminum fairly reasonably. Also the Holley hydra mats look good too.

https://youtu.be/FDAtj2Bo-Bw

There was an option for an auxiliary tank. It is mentioned somewhere here on OWF. IIRC it was 7 gal and mounted underneath behind the driver. Sounds like it was a pretty rare option, so details on it may be hard to find, but it's an idea

Here you go. It was optional on the 1960-1964/1965 Travellers. Here is a thread with a bunch of pictures on the second gas tank.

1964WillysTraveller2013-03-26rearinterior02_zps3dfa6138.jpg

IMG_2953_zps9365c5e1.jpg

Last edited:
If you figure 10mpg that still gives you a range of 130 miles. Still farther than the 100-110 miles my old Indian motorcycles can go!

Dave

Jeepster man in NJ makes a great extended capacity metal wagon tank
7bdf30313c1c1d3ae514e957f77c0aa1.jpg
8eb8675a1311dead4921dd610074bbd1.jpg
d7f565bef9b4a5d8b4c9e74b9b5a7541.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as mileage is concerned, I went through this with my CJ. Believe it or not I want to actually use my Wagon as a hunting rig. I want to be able to drive to a hunting spot, easily 100 miles away. Then hunt, I'm a predator caller so driving all day isn't unusual ... stop walk a 1/4 mile, call for 15 minutes ..... drive a mile and do it again ... all day long. It's not the same as driving a motorcycle, by the way even my Harley Shovelhead would go almost 175 miles between fuel stops. When hunting you don't want to have an almost dry tank 30 miles back in the desert. Yes, I could mount a couple Jerry cans on the Wagon but I really don't like the look. As far as traveling in a Wagon, I regularly travel in my open '75 CJ5, the Wagon CAN'T be any worse than that. Ear plugs can be a god send.

I'll call the Jeepster Man to see what he's got.

Tom - do you have a phone number for Rock Valley?

As far as mileage is concerned, I went through this with my CJ. Believe it or not I want to actually use my Wagon as a hunting rig. I want to be able to drive to a hunting spot, easily 100 miles away. Then hunt, I'm a predator caller so driving all day isn't unusual ... stop walk a 1/4 mile, call for 15 minutes ..... drive a mile and do it again ... all day long. It's not the same as driving a motorcycle, by the way even my Harley Shovelhead would go almost 175 miles between fuel stops. When hunting you don't want to have an almost dry tank 30 miles back in the desert. Yes, I could mount a couple Jerry cans on the Wagon but I really don't like the look. As far as traveling in a Wagon, I regularly travel in my open '75 CJ5, the Wagon CAN'T be any worse than that. Ear plugs can be a god send.

I'll call the Jeepster Man to see what he's got.

Tom - do you have a phone number for Rock Valley?

In your case then, I would suggest a custom made tank to fit your needs/dimensions. Just about any local fab shop or radiator shop could build you one.

Checked out Jeepster Mans website. His extra large fuel tank might be just what I need. He lists it as 5 extra gallons, I wonder if that is a 20 liquid gallon tank or something smaller like 16 or 17 gallons? An extra 5 gallons would be great.

Checked out Jeepster Mans website. His extra large fuel tank might be just what I need. He lists it as 5 extra gallons, I wonder if that is a 20 liquid gallon tank or something smaller like 16 or 17 gallons? An extra 5 gallons would be great.

I think I might be emailing them on Monday, a lot of the truck tanks are listed as either 13, 15 or 17 gallons. But is his extended tank 5 gallons above a 13? making it the same size as the ones listed at 17gal or is it 5 gallons above 17 making it an ideal long range tank? I wish the vendors would just post the capacities on their websites as I feel that's a required piece of information to make a purchase.

One website I looked at was more specific on the 15 vs 13 issue. The tank evidently will hold 15 gallons, but capacity is lost due to the location of the filler tube.

It probably wouldn't be a good idea to have fuel actually in the filler neck, at least it probably isn't good for a manufacturer to say it would be acceptable. Like you I noticed the 13, 15 and 17 gallon volume numbers for what is definitely the same plastic tank. I suppose the metal tank, due to the thinner metal walls might hold a little more than the thick walled plastic tanks.

Personally I like 1 tank. We have two older Ford trucks with dual tanks and it's becomes twice the problems. You always need to keep gas in them and cycle the fill ups.

If anything I'd go with redundant electric fuel pumps and run a regulator and ditch the mechanical pump. This also acts as a good theft deterrent as you can cut power or fuel when need be.

If you look into getting a tank made you get the capacity you need fairly easy.

This is my tank. Mocked it up with cardboard and extends forward around the round cross member. Took all sides really close to the frame rails and slightly above to sneak the filler tube.
It also drops quite a bit lower than stock with a taper to help with rear approach angles. In the works will be a skid plate that gets incorporated with the rear hitch bumper. The mounts on the sides are similar to the jeepster man tank mentioned before..

If you live near me I would send you to plenty of places here where you could go and get a quailty tank made. Otherwise ask around in your area.

A couple other things needed for safety are roll over and breather valves. Since you are adding a new tank I would change out the lines. I used a AN style flex hose in front and back and a straight run in stainless.

The contact for rock valley is here. They don't offer anything is aluminum so the prices will be more for stainless.

http://www.rockvalleyantiqueautoparts.com/products.htm

^Yep. Here is another shot from driver side perspective on how the tank sits. The body just clears over it however a large rat was hiding up there when the body was back on and was able to rest my pellet pistol on the tank and took him out. I'm desperately behind on coating the frame and rear sway bar. Hopefully in a couple months things will get back on track.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks guys! For reference the channel in the tank was designed around the round factory cross member and changed for a welded in vs bolted in rectangular to house the torsion style sway bar. The solid lines are hidden and run through the frame however if I need to drop the tank the hose gives me flexibility to lower the tank without shredding knuckles.

Back