Sep 10, 2017
Louisville, KY
First Name
Ray
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1961
Ok... So I am ditching the 13.5 wide tires the truck came with. I have ordered and received 16" original rims and am now shopping for tires. I'm looking at the STA Super Traxions in 650x16. Anyone have any experience with these? I know they are tube tires.

So....

1. Have you had any experience with these?
2. Would you recommend something else?
3. These will fit that rim... right?
4. This is the correct tube... right? https://www.cokertire.com/gr16-165-185r16-400-tr13-radial-tube.html

Just thinking out loud before I drop coin on new tires. Thanks all!

- Ray

Ray
6.50s would fit just fine, although I am not familiar with that particular tire. If you have the 226 pickup I would think about 7.00s instead. They are just enough bigger and taller to look and pull better than 6.50s on a pickup. I'm guessing that you are looking for something that goes in the mud and snow,as well as in the woods, right? Thosetubes are correct also.
diggerG

Hey digger...

yup something to go off road if need be.

I did look at the 750x16 but the Coker website says it should be on a 5-6 inch wide rim. The stock rims I have are 4.5 wide. The 750s are tubeless as well... so would they fit... dunno... why I'm here asking questions.

- Ray

So about that hard ride.... what would you all recommend for a more comfy ride? NDTs? I have seen some references to 215/85/16's but the guys at the tire place were like.... nope wont fit with the rim being that narrow.

I know. It is frustrating. The 8 ply’s might not feel that bad but they are still bias ply’s. If you look at my build thread you can look at an idea that I am trying by swapping rim centers. It may not be the solution but it might end up being a solution. You can also look at Pete’s build thread and read about what he put on his wagon. It looks pretty good.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336176116.470117 (1).jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336176116.470117 (1).jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 39
I'm not positive but I think the standard rim for the pickup is 16X5. I put a set of 215/85/16 radial mud tires on my truck the tires look great and the ride was greatly improved over the bias belted tires they replaced. When I bought my truck the spare was mounted on a 16X4.5 rim and I noticed it is a physically lighter wheel, I wondered if maybe they were used on early CJ's. Not that you can't use the 4.5" rim on your truck but a 215/85 won't fit.

Stock truck 16's are 5" wide, and stock tires were 7.00 x 16. I think the replacement wheels are 4 1/2" wide, at least the ones that came on my truck were.

Figure 1 - Service Manual Page 244 - Wheel & Tire Specifications.jpgThis chart is taken from the 1961 edition of the utility vehicle service manual.

I have a couple of 16 x 4.5 wheels and have always assumed they came from an early year truck or perhaps a CJ.

I went with radials, 215-85-r16, on stock wheels. Had them blasted and powder coated. No tubes needed. Radials are superior to bias-ply in every way.

Attachments

• IMG_3745.jpg
    IMG_3745.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 32
You are correct Bill The 4.5" x 16" wheels were for the CJs. That's no reason not to use them however. That's another reason to not go 7.50 x 16's. tHe 7.00's will fit fine. If you really beat on your truck the 5" wheels would be a better choice but normal use and no overloading would not be a problem for the 4.5" wheels and 6.50 or 7.00 x 16" tires.
diggerG

Hey all....

Update.... my tires came and my tubes will be here this tuesday.... but in the mean time a comparison shot. On the left... tire coming off, on the right... two tires waiting to go on. It is going to be sooooo much easier to steer!

20171117_203124[1].jpg

That's awesome. I am in the same boat with my CJ2a. Currently running 31x10.5 15 super swampers that the PO put on later rims. Got a set of stock size rims, saving up to get new tall skinny tires so I can steer easier too.

What size are those and what diameter?
Where did you find them and approx. price?

Still looking for ideas.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hey Steve....

STA 6.5x16's I got through Summit Racing. They sell Coker products at Coker prices but with FREE SHIPPING. The new rims I got were Omix-Ada 16725.01 from Rock Auto. That combo seemed to be the cheapest available after hours of sleuthing.

Tires were 136 each
Rims were 105.79 plus a rebate

Hope it helps.

-Ray

Last edited:
Back