Transmission/transfer case rebuilt

Brent,
If you're running reasonably skinny tires and rims that won't offset the position of the tire too much, you can get a good estimate of how tall you can go before hitting the underside of the wheel wells by measuring the distance between the top of the axle and the bottom of the rubber bump stops. Use that measurement to map out where the axle will be at full stuff, and then figure out the available radius. Leave some extra space for tire and axle dynamics (such as when one tire is stuffed and the one at the other end of the axle has daylight under it), and you should be okay.

It's a little more challenging to guesstimate what might happen up front, as clearances will vary depending on steering direction.

My favorite flavor of on-line speed calculator is Rick Grover's "Willys Utility Vehicle Speed Calculator" (you might already know about this):

http://www.public.asu.edu/~grover/willys/speed.html

Be sure to peruse Rick's "Discussion", just below the calculator.

Thanks for the information Joe. I’ll check to see if 750X16 or 235/85/16 will fit. I think those are a little more than 31”. Very helpful!

FWIW I run a 215/85/16 and I will measure them tomorrow. IIRC they were between 30.5 and 31in... Then again I'm running them on the factory 16in rim so they sit slightly taller from being 'squeezed'...

Last week we mounted an old 235/85/16 to see how it fit on the front and it seems to fit good. So I ordered a set of Vanderbilt mud tires that will get mounted on my aftermarket wheels. We also got the rear axles and leafs swapped out. I also ordered new spring bushings for the front. If everything comes together underneath the old machine will be singing a new tune! I sure hope it’s easy listening.12BBD8C9-1BA4-4506-AD9F-6A7D5B057E78.jpg

Brent,

That's a very attractive wheel - the newest fashion seems to be black wheels these days. Could you tell the make, model and size please?

Cheers, Pavel

Brent,

That's a very attractive wheel - the newest fashion seems to be black wheels these days. Could you tell the make, model and size please?

Cheers, Pavel
Thanks Pavel, I don’t know who made them but I’ll try to figure out what I have in the coming week or so. They came with the wagon.
Here are my seats:2A674FC3-13AE-46CE-9FC3-1B75CC272002.jpgFA593047-F7C0-4D67-A78E-891CA4AFADAD.jpg

American Racing "D-Window" AR767 or some variant of. Very popular, cheap rim that is used especially in the jeep and light truck crowds when going to different tire size, usually wider, from stock.

Thanks Pavel, I don’t know who made them but I’ll try to figure out what I have in the coming week or so. They came with the wagon.
Pavel,
Possibly Pacer 242 Black Daytona.
Austin,
I also thought American Racing, these wheels have no name on them unless it’s inside the tire where I can’t see.

Pavel,
Possibly Pacer 242 Black Daytona.
Austin,
I also thought American Racing, these wheels have no name on them unless it’s inside the tire where I can’t see.

American racing typically only advertised on the 'hub cap' so you probably won't find anything on the wheel itself. The Pacer is virtually the exact same thing as the American Racer, iirc they come from the same factory like a lot of other things these days.

Thank you gentlemen. I see Amazon sells the 15 X 7" version for $74.25 USD including shipping - not a bad price. Up here in the True North, Canadian Tire sells Chinese steel wheels for similar prices but the quality is suspect (a friend of mine had to return a set because they weren't round). Hopefully, American Racing demands better product.

60 miles per hour!

I took the Delivery out for a drive this morning with a friend out in front of me in his truck to see what it would top out at and it goes 60+. SBC/283 410 gears front and rear 235/85/16 tires.

I took the Delivery out for a drive this morning with a friend out in front of me in his truck to see what it would top out at and it goes 60+. SBC/283 410 gears front and rear 235/85/16 tires.
CORRECTION: 427 gears front and rear.
Good eye Dave!

Next we got the speedo fixed and all but the temperature needle works, so an underdash temp gauge had to be installed. Had a Power Plus 13 Wiring Kit, 70 amp relay kit, new Tuffstuff 100 amp alternator with brackets pulleys and belts. Vintage Heat, Cool, Defrost, Compac Evaporator, control w/louver and 2 chrome round under dash vents, v-belt compressor w/brackets, water pump, radiator/condenser, 17” e-fan, hoses, thermostat and temperature gauge.
I know that’s a lot but that’s what we do! Many upgrades to compat the extreme SC summer heat and humidity.
Now I’m working on sealing the seams in the floors, insulating the overhead with Hush Matt. Then tac strip, wind lace and headliner. I put in the Willys America up front headliner looks like the pickup headliner. Now I have to figure out my own for the back. Ideas are always welcome.
I also ordered some of Walcks Sedan Delivery rear door seals which I hope will stop the exhaust from coming in.

Don't forget, your Willys is about as aerodynamic as a barn door. With our Tornado engine and 4.09 rear 4.10 front axle ratios (no OD), our wagon will run nicely up to about 50 mph. Beyond that the noises due to rattling body, transfer case, wind buffeting etc. become unpleasant. Of course, it depends on who's in the vehicle and for how long you sit there on the highway... I find 20 minutes is as long as my family will endure any highway in "Bluebell". BTW, beware of railroad crossings - my 12 year old hit the roof once when I forgot to slow down - the headlining offers no cushioning. After that episode, I installed 3 point seatbelts front and back!

http://pavelsuniverse.com/willys/seat.html

Cheers, Pavel.
Great write up on the seat belts. I currently just have lap belts installed in my 55' wagon, but will take your ideas and use them in the future. Again, great job!

Thanks Chris,

Permit me to suggest you make the attachment points for any belts you add as strong as possible.

One annoying design detail that you might consider is how the belts "clip into place"... on modern vehicles, of course, the receptacle is firmly held in place, so you can secure the belt with one hand. On the ones I installed, you need to hold the receptacle with one hand and push the male clasp in with the other. If you were using the vehicle alot, this minor detail might become really irritating. In the end however, such details don't matter much compared with the added safety of shoulder belts.

Cheers, Pavel.

Next we got the speedo fixed and all but the temperature needle works, so an underdash temp gauge had to be installed. Had a Power Plus 13 Wiring Kit, 70 amp relay kit, new Tuffstuff 100 amp alternator with brackets pulleys and belts. Vintage Heat, Cool, Defrost, Compac Evaporator, control w/louver and 2 chrome round under dash vents, v-belt compressor w/brackets, water pump, radiator/condenser, 17” e-fan, hoses, thermostat and temperature gauge.
I know that’s a lot but that’s what we do! Many upgrades to compat the extreme SC summer heat and humidity.
Now I’m working on sealing the seams in the floors, insulating the overhead with Hush Matt. Then tac strip, wind lace and headliner. I put in the Willys America up front headliner looks like the pickup headliner. Now I have to figure out my own for the back. Ideas are always welcome.
I also ordered some of Walcks Sedan Delivery rear door seals which I hope will stop the exhaust from coming in.
Ok, I installed my Walcks rear door seals and stopped the exhaust, dust and water from coming in.
It’s a good day!C4554CAF-CEE2-4571-8D10-A12AD708C9DC.jpeg

Thanks Chris,

Permit me to suggest you make the attachment points for any belts you add as strong as possible.

One annoying design detail that you might consider is how the belts "clip into place"... on modern vehicles, of course, the receptacle is firmly held in place, so you can secure the belt with one hand. On the ones I installed, you need to hold the receptacle with one hand and push the male clasp in with the other. If you were using the vehicle alot, this minor detail might become really irritating. In the end however, such details don't matter much compared with the added safety of shoulder belts.

Cheers, Pavel.

I'd second that... I used aircraft style chrome buckles in my wagon, and they are a bit of a pain to use. The buckle is always falling behind the seat, or getting caught under the passenger seat, and it takes two hands to put on the seat belt.

Back