ohio
First Name
woody
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1950
Hello everybody.

I'll start off by saying my name is Woody and I'm new to the Forum. My Willy's is a 1950 Truck. I've always been a Jeep Guy. A few years ago I bought a 95 Wrangler and I put a lot of work into it. New suspension parts new frame all kinds of stuff hard top doors I just wanted to keep it on the road and enjoy it. After realizing that my Jeep tub was beyond fixing in pieces literally I put it in my shop and I pulled the tub off. Trying to decide what I wanted to do with it seeing as though I had just put a new frame on it I jumped on craigslist and spotted a 1950 willys pickup truck. I was automatically in love with it. It was just a cab sit on the frame with the drive train no bed didn't run no interior lots of rust. But I figured instead of doing the normal thing and putting a Jeep body on it I have a good frame with a good engine why not build a truck. So my gears started turning in my head and I went and bought the truck the next day.

A few weeks later I started building my new shop and as you can imagine time went by I built the new shop and now I'm back to working on the Jeep. It has the normal issues the rockers are pretty much gone the floor is real real bad and I actually have no cab corners. But seeing as though I want to put the truck cab on a Jeep Wrangler frame I figured I'd just make a Floor. I watch a show called road kill on YouTube and they made a stubby truck and I thought why extend my Jeep frame when I can build my own stubby truck. it'll look great!

so the hunt began for a truck bed. It seems every willys pickup truck bed that I found was way way over my budget but I did come across to 1931 Ford pick up truck bed it's perfect. The way I think I need to mount the cab on my frame it only leaves me with 4' for the bed so a 4' Bed it is. Looking at my doors they have the typical bottoms rusted out and I found the patch panels no problem. But then good old craigslist lol. I ended up finding a parts Truck. I didn't like the 31 Ford fenders on the bed but on the parts trucks I found I am getting a nice set of Rear fenders And a set of doors off the same truck.

So that's where I stand right now I have the body just sitting resting on the frame with no floor And the truck bed waiting to be cut up to fit the frame. I understand it's a lot of work and I'm really excited to do it.

I'm really excited to be part of the willys community on this forum. I plan to post lots of pictures of what I have what it was when I got it and where I'm going with it. I'm sure I'll be back with lots and lots of questions from all you experts and just car tinkers thank you very much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from Colorado, Woody. I've seen a few "Shorty" Willys Pickups around. We Dig everything Willys on this Forum. Post some pictures when you get a chance. Pivnic

Welcome to the forum. You'll find everyone here very helpful. Here is an inspirational photo. Mine is on a blazer frame with a 106.5" wheelbase. I cut 12" off the original box. Good luck.

Attachments

• w8.jpg
    w8.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 42
20171107_153537_resized.jpg20171107_154448_resized.jpg20171107_154432_resized.jpg20171106_171347_resized.jpg20171106_171413_resized.jpg thanks guys I will work on posting more pictures as more work gets done.

Hey Woody....
Allright then ...here is a stubby truck that showed up at the 5Th Annual Willys Roundup in Flagstaff AZ ...IMG_20170909_103426772.jpgIMG_20170909_104154523.jpg.....

That parts truck you bought.....is that cab in lot better shape then this one?.....Holy Hell!..... that one you have sitting there those corners look to be too far gone beyond repair!! not sure if those rear corners could be fixed along with entire floor and cab floor supports.....what does the underside look like?............just might be easier and lot cheaper to use parts cab or find another in useable shape.
dont touch or sneeze.....it will crumble to rust dust! its powdered rust shaped like a Willys cab! ive seen some pretty bad ones but this....gets a cake!

Larry

Thanks for the reply Larry. That cab is the only cab I have. It is pretty bad but I have the will and the way to make a floor to match my frame. Lol

Very Cool, I have a neighbor with Pickup cab and shortened bed on a Jeep/Jeep...This configuration looks like a
better setup for serious off roading than a stocker... Much less rear overhang... Great looking project..

Damn Iron Moths never sleep !!!! My cab corners are better, but I have that same see thru floor that you do ! You know its bad when you use a bungee cord to hold up the driver side rocker panel ! My box looks a lot like the floor in my cab. I feel your pain about finding one that's not a million dollars. I got time. Winter is here in my neck of the woods. sssoooo. Hibernation period for Willford. BTW: I like those TSL's you got for rubber !

My friend Jay...his 54 is a rolling death trap....see thru floors allowing exhaust leak fumes into cab , busted cracked yellowed glass ...bungee cords? one holding passenger side cab corner to frame...another bungee cord holds passenger side door shut! but hey it runs and drives and he goes 4 wheeling in it and sometimes brings it out to the car show on weekends. is talking of doing a frame swap to a chevy 1/2 ton frame with a 454 4L80E and Dana 60 and Corporate 14 bolt full floater rear end. dunno when that is gonna happen just hearsay at this point.

Larry

Back