With the smell of old gas you won't have any bugs or varmints for awhile

2. Likes scramboleer liked this post
    First Name
    Michael
    Year
    Model
    Wagon
    Post Thanks / Like
    The tank is on the ground. I was wrong about one of my previous comments. The fuel pick-up is completely stock. I was accustomed to my '75 CJ's tank pick-up arrangement. The inside isn't bad at all, a little surface rust or maybe just gas goop. I'll hit it with a some diluted muriatic acid tomorrow. The acid will remove all organic material, then I might hit it with some of that liquid rust remover that chemically removes only rust. The surface is smooth and not rough at all. There is some hope for this tank. This is definitely not the stock or original tank. The '51 came from the factory with a solid filler pipe, this one is in two pieces as the replacement tanks were set up.

I can't help but wonder about some of the engineering decisions during manufacturing. Willys made a nice compartment just inside the body for the filler pipe. Mine was filled with fine dirt, since this is Arizona the compartment is perfect, but in snow country the thing would have been rusted to death.

4. Likes Bill Kuran liked this post
    Well-Oiled
    First Name
    Pavel
    Year
    Model
    Wagon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Michael,

There are many strange designs the Willys engineers created in these vehicles. That odd little "compartment" inside the filler pipe area was in poor shape in our '65 wagon. There was a remarkable mouse nest housed in our case. Here's what the body looked like in our case... Other strange designs include:

*The bell housing on the six cylinder engines (you have to take the flywheel off to remove it)
    *No access hatch(es) in the tail gate
    *No access hatch to brake master cylinder
    *No fuses (at least our wagon had none)
    *No external spare on rear bumper (housing the spare inside uses too much space)
    Large central speedo has to be removed inwards - the dash should have had a large hatch housing the gauge
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1965 Willys 4X4 wagon (Tornado OHC 230 I6 with Ford EDIS ignition, T19 4 speed(soon), Spicer18 in D20 case, D44 rear, D27 front with Chevy discs, Koenigs front winch, Saginaw ps, 4 shoulder belts) Website: http://pavelsuniverse.com/willys/willys.html

6. Likes Bill Kuran liked this post
    First Name
    Michael
    Year
    Model
    Wagon
    Post Thanks / Like
    The pictures aren't very good but the point is made. The dirt is what was hiding under the filler hole while I was trying to wash the dirt away. The bottom is just metal, the rust you can see on the sides is more patina than it is rust. IMG_0761.jpg This is the outside. IMG_0760.jpg
    Last edited by Hedgehog; 11-19-2017 at 05:59 PM.

8. Likes scramboleer liked this post
    First Name
    Michael
    Year
    Model
    Wagon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well look at that, but you can't, it's inside the Wagons old gas tank. Now here's a word that usually strikes fear in a normal persons brain ..... Acid! .... specifically muriatic acid. When I mention doing this invariably someone practically runs away in fear. After removing the gas tank I was sure there was some light rust in it, but was also convinced there was a coating of brown rust looking fuel scum as well. So I got a gallon of rust dissolver and some muriatic acid from a swimming pool store. The plan was to pour a gallon of acid in the tank, watch and occasionally agitate it for about a half hour. The half hour turned into 45 minutes before removing the acid from the tank, after rinsing with water a box of baking soda was poured into the tank with some water. After agitating the heck out of the tank it was emptied and rinsed again. The rust remover will not be necessary, with the factory galvanizing looking like new. I'm very pleased.

Also, I know why the PO couldn't start it. The fuel line was plugged with some fuel goop. Fuel would trickle out at best. After running a wire through the line WD40, air and eventually fuel will flow freely.

I'm still going to add a bigger tank, but until then this one will do just fine.
    Last edited by Hedgehog; 11-19-2017 at 05:58 PM.

10. Likes scramboleer liked this post
    Bigger Hammer
    First Name
    Tom
    Year
    Model
    FC
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK Michael, I have been reading your progress and was waiting for a chance to jump in. I live in the south and was thinking that you don't have a water tank but rather a moonshine tank? Maybe your Willys was used to run liquor? Just a thought.

First Name
    Michael
    Year
    Model
    Wagon
    Post Thanks / Like
    That very idea was proposed on The CJ Forum. The thought is one I very much enjoy. The PO thought the Wagon was a "Prospector" model and the water was used for gold mining. There even was a Prospector badge on the Wagon when I got it. Of course the badge came from a Dodge pick up. Imagine how HOT the water would have been after a long desert road trip riding right behind the engine and transmission. There is an attraction to the idea that moonshine was once its intended cargo.

Tom - I've got to say this, thanks for following along. I know what I'm doing with my wagon amounts to VERY small stuff compared to what most of the other guys are doing. I simply don't have the resources to pile much money into a complete Wagon build. My work will be very small potatoes in comparison. What I am skilled at seems to be inappropriate for a Wagon build. I'm a decent back yard welder and fabricator. My bumpers look good and are strong, but my bumpers are not appropriate for a wagon. My roll cage skill won't be useful on a Wagon. ........ Eventually there might be a drivetrain swap, something along the lines of a 4.3 V6/T-18 transmission/D20 transfer case and Scout II axles. ... maybe a back yard paint job. That's about all.
    Last edited by Hedgehog; 11-19-2017 at 09:26 PM.

First Name
    Michael
    Year
    Model
    Wagon
    Post Thanks / Like
    An update on cleaning the fuel tank. After the acid bath I looked deeper inside the tank and found some rust in the corners. It's got a gallon of rust remover in it to bake over night. Surprisingly enough the instructions cover using the product in a gas tank, they say that a gas tank might need to soak over night. AANNNNNDD that s what I'm doing. The results tomorrow will be interesting.