Mar 24, 2011
Indianapolis
First Name
Eric
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1960
Guys, Yesterday a local gentleman brought me a Jeepster because it will not run. While I have restored several Willys vehicles I have not done a Jeepster. First thing is to identify exactly what I have. The customer says it was his grandfathers and has been in his family since 1968. It is in very good condition and was garage kept since 1968. The registration in the glove box says 1949 however it has the pointed nose on it so I believe it is a 1950. The engine threw me at first but I believe it is an F161. Obviously it is a 6 cyl and it is also an F head and the installation looks very original and if the engine is not original to the car it was very well done.

Researching it can see this engine was used in the aero and possibly in some wagons but it is not clear if it was factory installed in a Jeepster. Can you guys add to this? Lastly where would the original serial number tag be located? thanks

Yes they were used and I think some did have a pointy grill. I don't know if you remember the one I had. Sounds like the same. Mine was titled a 49 but I think it was late 49 or earlier 50. Here's a couple pictures to compare. The engine in mine was a 161.
DSCN1373.jpg DSCN1374.jpg DSCN1413 (2).jpg

Thanks Tom The install is too good to be anything but original. Worked on it all morning. Rhe customer will be a bit sad as here is what I have so far.

Needs starter rebuilt
Needs fuel pump replaced
Needs water pump replaced
Needs radiator cleaned and tested
Needs thermostat and housing replaced
Customer wants Petronics ignition unit and they do have one for this distributor.
Needs oil filter lines replaced
Needs all water hoses replaced
Carb has been recently rebuilt
Brakes work but have not looked at them yet
Steering feels decent
Needs new fuel tank and my need a few new lines, Have not had it up on the lift yet ands there is an M38 in the way waiting on parts
It is actually a really sound car that has been sitting for more than 30 years in a garage
Battery looks new and tests good
Compression test all good

Well time for lunch and back to work

Wow, that's a little bit to do...Does the engines look pretty close to the same?

Yes it does look the same. The heater box is under dash and not in engine bay as in your pics. The battery ios on the passenger side firewall. Interesting? Thanks again

For what it’s worth, the F161 six came out after Jeepster production ended, but as mentioned it was an excellent and not in common engine swap since it’s relatively simple. I think there is an OWF member whose grandpa had the local Willys dealer and he still has grandpa’s Jeepster with the F161 swapped in.

If you go to the pertronix web site and give them the dizzy number they will tell you what will work. As I have a 161F in mine also.

Eric

next time you put this jeepster on a lift can you measure the driveshaft for me...

Eric, if you haven't found the serial number yet, look under the edge of the dash, right above the glove box . That is where mine is on a 50 Jeepster.

Ok the saga continues. Thanks to RayRay I found the serial number. It was born as a 473VJ. I believe that means it was a 4 cylinder F head motor. It now has the 6 cyl F head motor. I spoke to the folks at Jeepster man and Kiaser Willys and both believe that in 1950 the 6cyl F head was an option. I am going to see what Jeepster Jim in Florida has to say tomorrow. The engine really needs to come apart and it sounds like parts are out there but a bit expensive. Need to set down with the owner and see what he wants to do. I hope we can do a complete rebuild as I have not done one of these engine before and would love to do it. Thanks for the help guys.

Another update. We have determined that this 161 is NOT the original engine for the Jeepster but we have also decided that it is a great swap and it is going to stay. I pulled it Saturday and tore it down Sunday. No serious damage but up to .012" wear in a couple cylinders and wear on rod bearings as well. It is going to be a full rebuild with cylinders bored, crank turned and all valves all ground as well. The sheet metal parts are all at my local dip stripper and the block and head are at the machine shop. Will keep you posted.

i have one of these engines in barn at grandmas, I cant wait to tear into it. have fun.

Turbo man thats AWSOME. That is the engine and today I picked up all the sheet metal and small pieces from my stripper and they are all now painted. Block and head at machine shop

Ok all parts are back from Machine shop. New pistons .030 over, new valves and guides, new cam bearing (yeah it only has one) All new mains and rod bearings .010 undersized. Worked all day today and engine is assembled and painted. Hope to get it in the Jeepster and fired up right after Christmas

Project completed! This 161 F head is a sweet running little engine. Wish I could drive it but snow on the ground. Starting on the rebuild of a set of axles from a CJ2a for a customer. Someone along the way liked the grease gun. The rear axle outer grease fittings were used to the point where the entire axle tube was filled with grease. There darn dirty but in pretty good shape.

Eric. I would think all the driveshafts are the same length with the same transmission on the same mounts, or am I mistaken? I can measure my '48 if it will help.

Looks like the only work that needed wen this was swapped in was to move the front mount forward a bit and play with the throttle linkage. Whoever did it years ago did a nice job. All I really did was a through engine rebuild. Thanks for the offer.

Back