Aug 16, 2011
San Francisco, California
First Name
Dan
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1964
How would you like to buy or build your very own new 1968 CJ5? A company displayed a product at SEMA this week that just may be available near you. Thanks to a federal law signed in 2015, low volume car manufacturers don't have to meet current crash standards (or even crash-test a vehicle), but do have to use year of manufacture (e.g. 2017) emissions-compliant motors. For us in California, BAR-sticker compliant is okay too.

So this CJ5 showed up at SEMA displayed by a company called UMC:

• 1968 CJ5 built under license from MOPAR
  • New body panels and components (meaning meaning newly manufactured since the current reproduction stuff often isn't up to snuff).
  • D27 front, D44 rear and D18 transfer case
  • The vendor claimed this CJ5 will be offered with the 2017 Jeep 3.6L V6 or a diesel and a five speed manual transmission
  • Price rumored to be $20k for a kit and $30k assembled.

Here are some pictures from JP Magazine's Instagram feed:

4D0F8D92-3C78-46FB-9990-4D7791E598B4.jpg

8632276E-EBD2-473D-ADC0-38DBF5C52252.jpg

551A44AD-0DFF-4BF1-A7A6-C2E81C94976E.jpg

Bottom line: it sounds like they are trying to do it right - getting the license agreement, re-doing the parts, offering modern engines, etc. It's a question of price...

Last edited:
I will be sure to check it out. On my way there tonight. It would be cool if they put an overdrive transmission and disc brakes in it. The pricing seems much more reasonable than the Icon products.

Duane

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Awesome Duane. Looking forward to what you find.

Here is a very detailed thread with pictures from wayalife.com:

20171031175024-bf06834a-me.jpg

20171031175012-7c6cc317-me.jpg

20171031174914-4bac7ae1-me.jpg

20171031174857-e346f35a-me.jpg

20171031175043-af6db7a8-me.jpg

Attachments

• 20171031174914-4bac7ae1-me.jpg
    20171031174914-4bac7ae1-me.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 22
I am going as a guest of four brothers that started a company called JBUGS in a garage while we were all still in high school. (1982) Now they operate as TMI Products. Check them out on Instagram.

I shot their very first catalogs and continue to do contract work for them helping with tooling and assembly jigs.

I hope to be able to convert one of my billings into a set of custom seats for my wagon at some point.

Duane

It's too bad they're only offering a CJ5. I always have thought they were ugly.

Nice ride if you have the money, I guess.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It's too bad they're only offering a CJ5. I always have thought they were ugly.

Nice ride if you have the money, I guess.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
If they were doing a CJ8 I would be all over it.

I wonder if assembly instructions come with it.

A booth rep said they have approval to build it as it was in 1968. Drum brakes etc. They are in negotiations with spicer on front axle specs. It may end up with a Dana 30 due to cost of a specialized 25/27.

He said company primaries are talking about Scrambler reproduction due to the fact that 1 in 5 booth visitors asking about them.

Duane

That would be too cool if they used the new Hurricane in the about-to-be-launched Jeep JL Wrangler. Overkill though. It was probably hard enough getting these two engines certified. Wonder about how the rest of the stock circa 1968 drivetrain will hold up to the 2017 engines. I’d volunteer to test drive.

Cool concept but not for me. For $30 large to drive a new 1968 CJ5, I have better ideas on how I could part with that kind of money. I drove them in the day and they were fun. As much as I like to wheel my wagon around today, I am not sure how much fun this would be at my age as a DD. I am guessing doors and a hardtop are options? I wish them luck though, any support to the industry I think will help us all.

I hadnt noticed the tach. While a tach is a great idea Im not sure that one would be of any use. The scale is too broad (who is going to get more than 4000 rpm out of these) and its down pretty low as to be difficult to see when needed. But I do like their thinking.

Cool concept but not for me. For $30 large to drive a new 1968 CJ5, I have better ideas on how I could part with that kind of money. I drove them in the day and they were fun. As much as I like to wheel my wagon around today, I am not sure how much fun this would be at my age as a DD. I am guessing doors and a hardtop are options? I wish them luck though, any support to the industry I think will help us all.
The rep I spoke to said no tops or accessories planned. They assume the aftermarket selection is huge so there would be too many special requests.

A CJ5 .... Ugly ..... OMG that hurts right down to my core. Now a CJ7, that's ugly, square doors what is that all about.... :) I know what the extra 8" and square doors are for, I just consider them to be the beginning of the end for the real jeeps. Wranglers and newer models have square doors and they deserve them.

With all seriousness, $30,000 isn't all that bad in todays auto market place. A stripped Wrangler or what ever they call them these days sells for more money. For many years the Diesel crowd have been clamoring for a diesel, if for no other reason that option is a selling point that will be popular.

Last edited:
Back