Oct 22, 2017
Tucson, Arizona
First Name
Michael
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1951
Got my '51 wagon home, this vehicle has a black Government Specified Vehicle plate on the glove compartment. Naturally I've been crawling all over it. The Willys American Restoration guide and Parts Manual makes mention of an extra fuel tank in some Wagons being located behind the drivers seat. Mine appears to have the extra tank. I find little information on this tank. Can anyone enlighten me on .. well .... everything there is to know about the extra tank?

There is a filler in the floor behind the drivers seat. The tank is rectangular and mounted under the floor. It appears to be unhooked with a cut off fuel line sticking about 3" out of the front right corner of the tank.

To add to the confusion there is a large yellow peanut shaped tank under the floor between the front seats with a schrader air valve just behind the stick. The tank has a line going to a water valve in the driver side door jam next to the VIN plate. The PO said it was/is a water tank. Has anyone seen this tank, any information would be more than I have.

Hi Hedgehog,

Here is a similar thread with pictures. Would love to see some pics of yours.

2013-03-14084620_zps36bae5b9.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:
I saw your thread about getting your Wagon here in Phoenix. Was thrilled to see you had some of the information I need, unfortunately your photos are unavailable along with the one you just linked to. The photo thing is frustrating.

I guess I'm out of luck then. I'm used to stumbling around until the answers I'm looking for eventually show up.

Filling the tank is easy enough. I'm wondering, is thee a separate sending unit? How did the factory set up the switching or did the tanks act like Harley tanks and syphon freely between the two tanks? There are a few unidentified switches and a push button that nobody seems to know what it goes to.

Last edited:
There is a filler in the floor behind the drivers seat. The tank is rectangular and mounted under the floor. It appears to be unhooked with a cut off fuel line sticking about 3" out of the front right corner of the tank.

I have the same tank in my Wagon and it came from a Government vehicle (forest service) as well. I didn't like the idea of an inside filler, so I capped off the top of the tank and ran a filler neck out the upper front of the passenger wheel well. Tricky to fill, but hidden. Holds 10 gallons.

Back