Nov 16, 2009
Central, IL
First Name
ArtC
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1962
Officially new to the forum but not to the Willys Community.

I've been a member of most of the Willys Jeeps Forums for years and mainly hang out on thecj2apage.com and a Moderator or the BantamT3-C Page Forum hosted there.

I also run http://bantamt3c.com

Recently purchased a 62 2wd 6-226 Wagon.

I know very little about Wagons so came here to learn and gain knowledge.

Welcome from Colorado, Art C. Post some pics of your Willys Wagon when you have a chance. Pivnic

Here is the Original Ad and some pictures when I got it home:

62wagonad.JPG

62willysstationwagon.jpg

dash.jpg

seats.jpg

door.jpg

dataplate.jpg

springs.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome Art. You have a pretty rare Jeep there. I've only seen about 2 2wd wagons that new.
Welcome to the site.
diggerG

As soon as I got it I emailed a friend you may know...Paul Barry or Willys America. He said

"Some folks mistakenly will call it a "Maverick" due to the trim. They came in 4 & 6 cylinder versions, and were 2 tone painted. Reasonable high up in the collectability scale in original condition. Also nice to drive in 2WD. The chrome trim is often called "missile chrome" as it resembles a rocket/missile. Approximately 52 were made with the 226 in 1962, 375 were made in 1961"

In 1960 the same year Barney Roos its creator dies Kaiser himself yanks the Maverick Special from production so "Maverick officially stops with that new trim, the sponsorship of the TV show ends with a Hollywood writers and actors strike, and since James Garner was the president of screen actors guild and had not been paid for a year for his time on Maverick, he leaves the show."

The common misunderstanding is that Kaiser resumes the 58167 serial number sequence making us think the Maverick continues, yet after the 1960 changeover the Standard 1960 Willys Wagon begins with 541.

Cool. Learn something new everyday. So the post-1960 2wd Wagons with the extra fancy window trim aren’t Mavericks, but “regular” 2wd Wagons?

Sweet find!

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for posting the history tidbit about the Maverick.

Pete

Recently bought a lower tailgate and went out to check some differences. We have been getting a lot of rain recently so when I opened the drivers, I noticed a lot of water on the floor. Both doors were shut tight and windows up. Are there any know trouble areas for water leaking in the cab badly?

Been a while since I posted...

Attended the Fall Willys Reunion in Fulton, MO over the weekend.

Been watching the local Craigslist ads and thought I would try the area in MO where I was going. Found and scored a 95 Isuzu D44 rear axle with disk brakes, 4.30 gear and a Spicer TruTrac for $175, and he delivered it to me at the show.

Does anyone know or have used a set of Cherokee XJ rear leaf springs on a Wagon. I can't find the info now, but thought i read where you can redrill the center pin hole (centered rather then offset for the XJ) and they would work.

Recently bought a lower tailgate and went out to check some differences. We have been getting a lot of rain recently so when I opened the drivers, I noticed a lot of water on the floor. Both doors were shut tight and windows up. Are there any know trouble areas for water leaking in the cab badly?

First guess would be the windshield seals. Next guess would be vent on the cowl, where water could get in if the wind is blowing, especially if it isn't closed all the way.

Back