Jun 5, 2015
California
First Name
Jeffrey
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1951
So here is my newest problem. I pulled my steering gear years ago and the gear and shaft have been sitting in the shed for years. Finally got around to re-building it last weekend. I had to replace the sector shaft also. Today I tried to put the gear back on the frame and it doesn't line up. The pictures show the steering gear, the mounting holes on the frame, and a cardboard cutout I made from the steering gear mounting holes. The dark spot on the yellow cardboard is actually a hole where the sector shaft hits the bottom of the spring shackle. When I try and line the steering gear up I can only get one hole to line up. I believe this gear came off this frame. I did replace the sector shaft when I rebuilt the steering gear but I don't think that would make a difference. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! I know the pictures aren't the best, sorry about that.
steering gear.jpgsteering gear 1.jpgsteering gear 2.jpg

Here's a pic of mine. It uses the 1" sector shaft... I also replace it.

Attachments

• 20171021_182118.jpg
    20171021_182118.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 20171021_182109.jpg
    20171021_182109.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
That's odd, looks like the spring shackle moved. Don't know how that can happen unless the rivets are loose. I just looked at mine, and the cutout in the spring shackle is about 1/16" below the bottom of the hole in the frame.

Is the cab or body sitting on the frame exactly where it belongs? If it is rearward or sitting right on the frame without the rubber spacers it would make the steering shaft lay down at the wrong angle, preventing the bolts and shaft from lining up properly with the frame holes.

Thanks. It does look like my spring shackle is not lined up as it does cover part of the hole in the frame. The rivets are solid, no movement for the spring shackle. Tomorrow I will loosen the cab and jack it up some and see if that helps any. Otherwise I will cut some of the spring shackle off to see what that does.

The shackle looks close, but in my pic, there is plenty of room for the shaft. Is the steering column mounting bracket (under the dash) restricting the installation? Maybe remove the bracket first.... that may give you a little more wiggle room to get it positioned correctly.

Last edited:
Back