Willys Model
  1. Wagon
  2. Pickup
  3. CJ
Willys Year:
  1. 1955
  2. 1958
  3. 1962
OK, it's been said that "there's no such thing as a dumb question, but there seems to be a lot of inquisitive idiots!"

Hopefully this falls into the dumb question category....

How do you lift the seat bottom on the pickup to access the jack? I pulled up slightly and could actually see a shiny new 1955 gray jack under the seat but I couldn't even get my hand in there to try to grab it. On the other side I could see a nice set of jumper cables and a huge mouse nest (so that's where the seat stuffing went!). I assume, since the jack is in there you just pull a certain direction and the seat unclips, or unsnaps or something, but maybe it's screwed down? I can't get it to budge past the bending point. My wagon has "doors" for these under-seat tool boxes, but this has got me baffled. Thanx!

OK, it's been said that "there's no such thing as a dumb question, but there seems to be a lot of inquisitive idiots!"

Hopefully this falls into the dumb question category....

How do you lift the seat bottom on the pickup to access the jack? I pulled up slightly and could actually see a shiny new 1955 gray jack under the seat but I couldn't even get my hand in there to try to grab it. On the other side I could see a nice set of jumper cables and a huge mouse nest (so that's where the seat stuffing went!). I assume, since the jack is in there you just pull a certain direction and the seat unclips, or unsnaps or something, but maybe it's screwed down? I can't get it to budge past the bending point. My wagon has "doors" for these under-seat tool boxes, but this has got me baffled. Thanx!

If it's still original, you lift the back seat up from the bottom edge and then lift the bottom seat from the front edge. My dad cut holes below the bottom seat to get access so he didn't have to lift the seats.

floorMat001.jpg

I can't seem to find the picture of the doors he fashioned to cover the holes.

Kind of makes you wonder "what were they thinking" when they designed the whole seat thing. I had my seat reupholstered and the back fits so tight against the bottom it's almost impossible to pull up. The 'glove box' type doors in the side of the riser is the best solution. Unfortunately, mine is all painted and back together. There was a metal box bolted to the bed side by the PO. Painted it to match so now the jack lives there along with tools.

Kind of makes you wonder "what were they thinking" when they designed the whole seat thing. I had my seat reupholstered and the back fits so tight against the bottom it's almost impossible to pull up. The 'glove box' type doors in the side of the riser is the best solution. Unfortunately, mine is all painted and back together. There was a metal box bolted to the bed side by the PO. Painted it to match so now the jack lives there along with tools.

Hi Gary, did you unfold the piece of timber behind the backseat. I had the same experience till I found that must be the reason for the piece of wood on hinges behind the back. In 'closed' position the back goes all the way to the backwall and slightly behind the bottom seat. In unfold position it stops it just 2 inches before making it 'a little' easier to pull it up. It all looks as if this is original...

IMG_20171019_140950.jpg

IMG_20171019_141046.jpg

If you still have hinges on the top of the seat back it will fold up first then the seat bottom will fold back. You will likely need both doors open though because the seat bottom hits the arm rests as you fold it up. What a great design. That's why I added the under seat access door to mine during restoration.

BrokeJeepNut
IMG_1043.jpg

Thanks guys! I had to spend the day away so no garage time but I'll try tomorrow. I seem to remember two screws on brackets on the top of the seat back so maybe those are the hinges, but I won't know until tomorrow. Thanx!!!

Thanks guys! I had to spend the day away so no garage time but I'll try tomorrow. I seem to remember two screws on brackets on the top of the seat back so maybe those are the hinges, but I won't know until tomorrow. Thanx!!!

Here is the hinge on the back.
IMG_20140727_173330_029.jpg

Yup! I believe that's what's sticking out from under the Fleet Farm "rug" style upholstery cover! I'm actually excited about this "Al Capone's vault" thing! Thanx!

Ah ha! I see it now! I have to remove the rug-like one-size-fits-many seat cover and then it will work! THANK YOU!

Not that it matters much, but the access method to under the seat is common to most pickups of the era. It must have been a cost saving idea though to not use the access doors that were in use at the same time on the wagon - like not adding a glove box door or tool compartments in the rear fenders to the CJs that had existed in the military jeeps.

Back