Oct 15, 2017
Texas
First Name
Caleb
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1953
I just got me a 53 jeep truck on a k20 frame. Runs and drives grate but there are a few thing cosmetically I want to change. Like what are a good set of after market seat that I can get.
e3038434e145cef0eb98c194639c0ee9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome! Nice looking rig. Mine is on a K10 Blazer frame. The cab is pretty tight! I used the rear seat from the 1980 Blazer.

Last edited:
I want to build a center console for it so I’m thanking bucket seats

What are you doing for a radio

Hi Caleb, Welcome to the Forum!...

There are several options for bucket seats out there,.....Here is what is in my 51 truck right now ......IMG_1451.jpgIMG_1453.jpgIMG_2934.jpg....these are the 2nd/3rd row Stow and Go rear seats that came out of a 2008+? Chrysler Town and Country MiniVan as you can see they look nice, fit well in space provided and are pretty comfortable they have built in seat belt latches and folding head rest that flips down when seat folds flat as well as dual armrests on both seats. there is a little space tween the seat for a thin center console if you so desire. truck is very simple basic no need for any modern hi tech stuff radios, backup cameras, heated seats, GPS, bluetooth, nav system,...none of that!...Hell i dont even got A/C....i run Dual 40 Air in my truck!
people think i am nuts living in middle of desert ..PHX Az.... driving with no A/C!......Ok simple enough ...i dont drive at 2pm in afternoon! 6-10am 7pm-midnight!

if i want music that is what the phone is for ...(not that i use it that way but could) doubt i could hear it over roar of engine and exhaust as truck is not insulated or sound proofed.

so there are seat choices out there simply need to measure what you want against space you have....find seats that work for you .... style? color?, and material? figure out how to install them in your truck that is it you are done.

so sit down.... do your reasearch weigh you options wants/what fits? there are lots of others here who have already.....Been there...Done That! .....you will very likely hear from them here shortly.

let us know what you decide on and come up with. ....any questions simply holler!

P.S....OH Yeah BFIF....post more pics of your truck!....like pics....never too many!

Larry

Hi Caleb, Welcome to the Forum!...

There are several options for bucket seats out there,.....Here is what is in my 51 truck right now ......View attachment 40041View attachment 40042View attachment 40043....these are the 2nd/3rd row Stow and Go rear seats that came out of a 2008+? Chrysler Town and Country MiniVan as you can see they look nice, fit well in space provided and are pretty comfortable they have built in seat belt latches and folding head rest that flips down when seat folds flat as well as dual armrests on both seats. there is a little space tween the seat for a thin center console if you so desire. truck is very simple basic no need for any modern hi tech stuff radios, backup cameras, heated seats, GPS, bluetooth, nav system,...none of that!...Hell i dont even got A/C....i run Dual 40 Air in my truck!
people think i am nuts living in middle of desert ..PHX Az.... driving with no A/C!......Ok simple enough ...i dont drive at 2pm in afternoon! 6-10am 7pm-midnight!

if i want music that is what the phone is for ...(not that i use it that way but could) doubt i could hear it over roar of engine and exhaust as truck is not insulated or sound proofed.

so there are seat choices out there simply need to measure what you want against space you have....find seats that work for you .... style? color?, and material? figure out how to install them in your truck that is it you are done.

so sit down.... do your reasearch weigh you options wants/what fits? there are lots of others here who have already.....Been there...Done That! .....you will very likely hear from them here shortly.

let us know what you decide on and come up with. ....any questions simply holler!

P.S....OH Yeah BFIF....post more pics of your truck!....like pics....never too many!

Larry

Thank this is going to be my first build so need all the help I can get

I tried two different radio's before I decided I liked the one in my 2003 Ford so much, I bought a new
one of those.. It is AM/FM 6CD... Out of the 3 I've tried it's the only one I can hear AM band without static.Willys 3.JPG
I can see all the buttons and numbers, day or night.. It has a clock and holds 6 CDs.. It fit the hole in the dash.

Ok what is your definition of ...reasonable?.....I am betting they could not touch my seats with 50ft pole in terms of pricing .....that pair of Chrysler Town and Country minivan seats you see in my truck right now? .....that were Brand Frucking new in factory plastic.....cost me all of....$50!...yeah you read that right! $50 for a pair
of new bucket seats! ....lets see you go to your local wreck yard and see if they can match that!...Oh hell no they cant! you will pay $50 for 1 seat used in questionable shape!
i got my seat off C.L Ad from a automotive garage facility that goes out and buys the take out seats from Handicap Van conversion companies who buy and sell and retro fit ramps and lifts and such into varius manufacturers Minivans.
Then this place goes out and buys the seats them brings them back to the shop and resells them. I am betting you they got some 500 seats there in every shape, size color, material, and configuration you could imagine from evey make/model Minivan out there. They are stacked ceiling to floor and out the back door are a Sh*ton more! we tracked the place down and went down in his truck to see bout replacment seats for his truck with the idea bein if some thing was found i would then get the current Ricarro seats in other truck right now. but of course nothing struck his fancy so i wound up with these seats based on measurement and putting a seat in his truck for mockup purposes. and of cousre the price was right too for what you were getting.

i know of a least 1 other truck in town that has same exact seats i do in black.

but hey if these fit and you like them and can afford it then by all means go for it! and let us know what you decide on and come up with.

Larry

Ok what is your definition of ...reasonable?.....I am betting they could not touch my seats with 50ft pole in terms of pricing .....that pair of Chrysler Town and Country minivan seats you see in my truck right now? .....that were Brand Frucking new in factory plastic.....cost me all of....$50!...yeah you read that right! $50 for a pair
of new bucket seats! ....lets see you go to your local wreck yard and see if they can match that!...Oh hell no they cant! you will pay $50 for 1 seat used in questionable shape!
i got my seat off C.L Ad from a automotive garage facility that goes out and buys the take out seats from Handicap Van conversion companies who buy and sell and retro fit ramps and lifts and such into varius manufacturers Minivans.
Then this place goes out and buys the seats them brings them back to the shop and resells them. I am betting you they got some 500 seats there in every shape, size color, material, and configuration you could imagine from evey make/model Minivan out there. They are stacked ceiling to floor and out the back door are a Sh*ton more! we tracked the place down and went down in his truck to see bout replacment seats for his truck with the idea bein if some thing was found i would then get the current Ricarro seats in other truck right now. but of course nothing struck his fancy so i wound up with these seats based on measurement and putting a seat in his truck for mockup purposes. and of cousre the price was right too for what you were getting.

i know of a least 1 other truck in town that has same exact seats i do in black.

but hey if these fit and you like them and can afford it then by all means go for it! and let us know what you decide on and come up with.

Larry

You got a link to a web site hotshot

here is what i was able to come up with so far this is the place that has the seats ..[h=1]Dejavue Auto Werks[/h]..2516 E Jackson St
Ste 101
Phoenix, AZ 85034

Phone number (623) 295-9902

They do automotive repair but specialize in body and paint. Now it appears they dont have a website ...but they have do instagram and facebook

so if you are interested give them a call ask some questions and have them send ya some pics of some seats.

Larry

Larry

Such a deal.....40 years ago I purchased two brand new Dodge standard bucket seats for $15 from a van conversion shop... A fantastic deal
at the time..... Just like Larry's deal on those Chrysler seats...

For comparison, my last bench seat....The junk yard wanted $150 but settled for $100 and then the upholstery shop charged me $400 to recover it.
Not what I wanted to pay.......For cheap new bucket seats, I use Mill Supply.........$100 apiece.

Last edited:
My '53 has a third-row bench seat from a Chevrolet Suburban. The third row seat is narrow enough to fit, and you can get it with seat belts, etc. I forget what year exactly, late 90s or early 2000s. I don't think they change much year to year.

It's not buckets but it's cheap and looks good.

For the seats for my wagon been dithering for a looong time and considering all things (studying CL ebay deals on a wide range of vehicles) recovered to period bench/bench bucket back yada yada yada.

After weighing all the pros/cons for me it comes down to this

1. Safety (Read NHTSA article below). For classic cars the consensus would say "helmet/seat beat laws suck" and should be up to the owner.
2. Driving style, distance driving and most of all comfort
3. Appearance/period correct

So I narrowed my choices to a front bucket or bench seat (one that has gone though a crash test ideally) with a center console/arm rest jump seat. My short list is e30, flo fit 80's mustang ranger seats something with a the head least in the ball park of the factory bench so rear passengers line of sight isn't too obstructed.

FYI: Third Row seat...this will cause some squirming:rolleyes:

USA Today – Third Row Car Seats May Kill Your Kids

Picture a hefty friend at the fast-food drive-through window‚ feet shoving hard on the floor of the car to stabilize himself as he squirms in the driver’s seat to reach the wallet in his pocket. Bang. The driver’s seat collapses backward. That’s what would happen if the seat were built to the federal government’s minimum standards. Now imagine a seat that flimsy in the third row‚ inches from the rear glass‚ as in today’s sport-utility vehicles and car-SUV crossover models. The kids are buckled up back there‚ you’re stopped at a light—and a drunk doesn’t notice and rear-ends you at 30 or 40 or 50 miles an hour.

Distance isn’t the only criterion for judging the safety of third seats; seat strength and design are key. But every one of those seats is governed by a 32-year-old federal strength and safety standard that won’t be changed for at least a year.

"The third row is pretty vulnerable to rear-enders—like about twice as dangerous" as other rows‚ says safety consultant Mike Brownlee‚ formerly in charge of defect investigations and rules compliance for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). As more third-row seats hit the market‚ injuries and deaths will increase‚ he predicts. Seat safety has been under fire for more than a decade. The proliferation of third-row seats‚ mainly meant for kids‚ gives the complaints new vigor. "A lawn chair could pass" the NHTSA minimums‚ says Kevin Calcagnie‚ a Newport Beach‚ Calif.‚ lawyer who has sued car companies over seat-related injuries.

There were 2.3 million rear collisions in 2000‚ according to the latest-available federal statistics. That was 21.7% of all crashes. There were 2‚980 fatal rear-end wrecks in 2000‚ 6.2% of all fatal collisions.

When a minivan with a third-row occupant is hit from behind‚ the occupant is killed half the time‚ according to a Ford Motor analysis. It’s lucky‚ then‚ that third rows are infrequently occupied—just 1% to 2% of the time‚ according to accident statistics.

Ford’s Prasad says most models in the U.S. market have settled on about triple the NHTSA standard. NHTSA requires a seat back to withstand 3‚300 inch-pounds of force‚ a measure of pressure equivalent to what 3‚300 pounds could exert at the end of a one-inch lever‚ or 1 pound could exert at the end a 3‚300-inch lever‚ or any combination of those that multiplies to 3‚300.

In Prasad’s earlier example‚ a hefty driver pushing backward exerts more force than that. A safety consultant’s proposal to NHTSA 13 years ago suggested 56‚000 inch-pounds.
"Everybody has migrated to about 10‚000 inch-pounds. The seat should not break if you are leaning against it entering the car‚ or if you go into your hip pocket for your wallet‚" Prasad says.

http://robinsonfirm.com/news/third-row-car-seats/

Back