Oct 14, 2017
Plymouth Wisconsin
First Name
Gary
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1958
Hello. My name is Gary and I'm from Wisconsin. I'm new to the site and am excited to get my trucks on the road. I currently own a 58 willys pickup and a 51 willys pickup. The 58 is the one I want to get on the road first. It has a super hurricane motor that does not have compression so I'm considering just doing a frame switch. What is the best way and frame to do this with? The less modifications the better for this build. I would do something more intensive with my 51 when I'm done with the 58. Thanks you in advance for any ideas you may have.

Welcome to the forum Gary/Trapper123.

The Chevy full-size truck is a popular frame shape. There are threads on here detailing this. Pivnic's truck comes to mind. The front GM axles will stick it a bit though if left in stock width. Obviously there are pros and cons. Is a rebuild of the 226, brake upgrade, and adding an overdrive out of the question?

We love stock and modified Willys here. Just wondering out loud.

Actually, the rebuild brakes and overdrive is not out of the question. I'm just not sure which would be more viable. Frame change or rebuild.

Welcome from Colorado, Gary. If you're planning to do a chassis conversion, then make sure that you do your research and due diligence and make a solid plan. This will save you lots of time & Money. I went with a complete Chassis Conversion on my 57 Willys Pickup. I'm not that mechanically inclined, but for me, the chassis conversion was the perfect choice. I found a donor truck, a late model 1987 Chevy Full size 4X4 Pickup, with regular cab and short bed. It was also the Same Wheelbase as the Willys Pickup. I thought, "what are the Interfaces with the Willys Body & the Donor's Complete Chassis and Running Gear"? The Interfaces are: Body Mounts, Steering, Pedal Functions, and Wiring. Once you get these four functions figured out and done, you end up with the Old Charm of the Willys Pickup attached to a GM Factory Designed and Built, with ALL Critical Systems Fully Upgraded & Modernized, and SAFE & Reliable Underneath!!! I believe this is the Best of Both Worlds. I've since done a Cab Extension so I'd have more leg room, and my Son in Law and I are in the final phase of converting the Truck to One Ton Axles and All the "Other Stuff" that goes with that.

There are other chassis conversions done using other donor trucks as well. Being a Chevy Guy, I went with Chevy. The original Build with the Chassis Conversion, took One Year. I've had it on the road for six years now with zero issues. Good luck with your near future project. Make and Post a Build Log if you go with the Chassis Conversion Project and post lots of pictures along the way. This is the Forum to be in as there are a lot of Knowledgeable Willys Guys and Gals on here that are very helpful. So Holler if you need advice or help! John (aka: Pivnic)

Did you have move motor on frame or were you able to leave it where it was at

Hi Gary. The motor is not touched and is where it's always been. Also, No Firewall cutting required either. The only 'thing' is that it was about 3/8th of an inch Shy in spacing and we didn't have the space to Run the Mechanical Fan. I'm looking into new 'narrower' fans to try. But I installed a High Performance Electric Fan that a lot of Hot Rodders use and it's been great! Pivnic

Hey Gary...welcome. In the first sentence of your post you say you are "excited to get my truck on the road". The quickest way to do that is to find our why you have no compression and fix it if you can. There are lots of posts on this forum dealing with stuck valves on the 226, for the cost of a head gasket and a few hours work you might be out driving your truck around the Kettle Moraine. I want to be gentle here...and this is just my humble opinion...but doing a swap like you're talking about is a very time consuming and expensive operation. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it but these projects take hundreds and maybe thousands of labor hours, a $10K budget, a well equipped work shop where the truck can sit for a year of two and good mechanical/fabrication skills. I've learned over lots of years of doing this that the easiest part of a project is the idea, from there it turns into a very long grind. If you're up to it then press on but if your looking to get your truck on the road anytime soon you might want to take another look at that 226.

Back