JR
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
  2. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1950
f151ca9c8a19d3c5a477df4be31544b5.jpg

Hello,
Just brought my grandads 1950 willys home to North Carolina. I'll post the pics I have along this thread. This is my first willys and it's been in the family since it was brand new. About 10 years ago my dad and I were pushing over HIS grandads old blacksmith barn that was falling over anyway from a storm. The bucket of the tractor kept hitting something hard under the hay bails. Dad had no idea this truck had been in the barn for decades buried under that hay.

I've been talking about getting it to NC for the last couple years, and am now in a place to take on the restoration (with a lot of help from my friends) here's a pic of it sitting under a new barn back in TN. This is where we drug it to after tearing down the old blacksmiths barn

582766bc3f3c262413dc435e7b329267.jpg

Here's a shot of under the hood

179b6afd70d33a4bec51a8ea851f3d5e.jpg

Any advice on a '50 or where to find parts. ( I'll be dropping a new engine and transmission in here) would love to know what people have gone with that fits with the least amount of modifications

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to forum, JR. Looks like your pickup's in great shape along with a good story.

My website is at http://www.jeep-trucks.com/ and has some information on the 'late' 1950 truck he bought in 1957. We've kept it basically original. It's hard to tell, but is yours a 2WD or 4WD?

Welcome from Colorado, JR. Great Looking Willys Pickup and story. Glad the truck didn't get any damage digging it out from under all that hay! Pivnic

It's a 2wd

That's a rare bird if it was originally a 2WD - that style in 2WD was only made in 1950 and 1951. (The 1947-early 1950 also had 2WD but the hood/fender/grill was different.)

Welcome aboard. As others have said - looks to be in excellent shape. Are you going to re-power it or find a similar engine/transmission like stock?

Wow... yes that is in EXCEPTIONAL condition and a great connection to boot! Amazing that no one knew it was under there! Too funny. Did you get any pics of the recovery?

Welcome aboard. As others have said - looks to be in excellent shape. Are you going to re-power it or find a similar engine/transmission like stock?

Will probably put a new engine/ transmission. Considering putting it on a whole new frame... gotta see what fits and what others have gone with

If you're going to go with a newer engine, I'd suggest a 4.3L V6, 4.8L LS V8, or 5.3 LS V8, especially the V6. It fits, is less likely to overwhelm the rest of the drivetrain, etc.

Planning on repowering it . Currently looking for a donor truck in decent shape

Wow... yes that is in EXCEPTIONAL condition and a great connection to boot! Amazing that no one knew it was under there! Too funny. Did you get any pics of the recovery?

Unfortunately in our excitement digging it out I didn’t! Would’ve been great though!

Back