Likes Likes:  11
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PLEASE HELP! Willys pickup bed assembly issues!

Gear Grinder
    First Name
    Ricky
    Year
    Model
    Pickup
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Messing View Post
    No the bracket orientation is correct as shown on my 51 truck.....Attachment 39810......as you can see the P.O welded a tapered wedge under the bracket for what reason i dont know ...i also measured the bracket height ...it comes out to 4 1/4 inchs tall might want to measure yours as it is known that a lot of Willys reproduction parts are known to not always be exactly accurate. Hell its just flat bar stock be Damned if you could not just make your own mounts at right height.
    heck my bed does not even have the rubber spacers under it it is sitting directly on the frame .....Attachment 39811...so what i would do ....is to take out the rubber spacer block and then put it together and see what difference that makes?
    you bought a new bed kit from Walcks for around $3600? if you would have asked where to get a replacment bed ...would have told you to go to Mar-K Beds and bought one of those kits for less then half Walcks price ....say $1200 or so? see Willys never made their own beds Willys instead used the beds off the 41 chevy pickups and since Willys and Chevy share the same distance between the frame rails...make its a very popular option for conversion of engines / trannys axles body all of it.
    so what i would do is put the bed together without the spacers and set it on the frame and see what that looks like and then go from there as to where spacers or rubber mounts need to go in at. let us know what you come up with.

Larry
    Wow! Thanks for the detailed input! We didn't buy the bed kit ourselves... we bought someone's unfinished project that came with a walcks bed kit.

I don't think removing the rubber pads will do the trick in this case, unless there was only pads in the 2 front mounts that I'm having trouble with. I believe this to be true because if removing all the rubber mounting pads would close the gap, my makeshift spacer that's the thickness of those pads, should've closed the gap.

But based off what you're telling me, it looks like I need to make a mount/bracket/spacer to make this work. We are a tool and die shop, we should be able to come up with something. I just didn't know I needed to do that before I got your input.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

2. Likes scramboleer liked this post
    Gear Grinder
    First Name
    Ricky
    Year
    Model
    Pickup
    Post Thanks / Like
    I ended up milling a 0.54" thick spacer with a 1/2" hole in the center on the Bridgeport, and gave it a coat of textured black rustoleum to protect it.

I'd really like to know why I had to do this, but if it remains a mystery forever, so be it. At least there's no more gap and the test fit is done so I can take it apart and start welding.

Thanks again to everyone who took time out of your day to help me!

4. Likes scramboleer, buxman66 liked this post
    First Name
    Eric
    Year
    Model
    Pickup
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DSK_willys View Post
    I ended up milling a 0.54" thick spacer with a 1/2" hole in the center on the Bridgeport, and gave it a coat of textured black rustoleum to protect it.

I'd really like to know why I had to do this, but if it remains a mystery forever, so be it. At least there's no more gap and the test fit is done so I can take it apart and start welding.

Thanks again to everyone who took time out of your day to help me!

Why don't you have one of the rubber pads installed at this location? Kit should include the ones for there. Mine did
    Last edited by BrokeJeepNut; 10-13-2017 at 03:28 PM.
    'Carpe Diem'
    1962 Willys Truck - 1994 Jeep Wrangler- 2001 Dodge 2500 Diesel

6. Likes Gojeep liked this post
    Gear Grinder
    First Name
    Ricky
    Year
    Model
    Pickup
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokeJeepNut View Post
    I didn't read through the whole thread but there should be a square rubber rubber spacer/isolator and a large washer where you installed the spacer. I don't have a good picture of mine installed.

http://walcks4wd.com/mount-rubber-pa...d-1947-63.html
    I have 10 of them where they're supposed to be, and even if I had one there it didn't close the gap so I just made the spacer.

First Name
    Marcus
    Year
    Model
    Pickup
    Post Thanks / Like
    They should all be mounted alike. Not a mix of solid and rubber.

Gear Grinder
    First Name
    Ricky
    Year
    Model
    Pickup
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
    They should all be mounted alike. Not a mix of solid and rubber.
    Please read the entire post and you'll understand